X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG1/SGA - ESPN: Page Two: This Week's "Stargate" Complaint

From ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...erbrook/060919

(Please follow the link to read the complete column.)

By Gregg Easterbrook
    Special to Page 2

**major snippage**

This Week's "Stargate" Complaint:

Many readers including Nisim Estrada of Avondale, Ariz., wrote to note that Sci-Fi Channel just announced it plans to cancel "Stargate SG-1," the longest-running science-fiction series ever in American television, while keeping the plodding spinoff "Stargate Atlantis" in production at least one more season. The news poses a challenge to "SG-1" writers, since scripts for the current season already should be complete and are said to end with a cliffhanger that sets up a final season that now will not happen. (This is the reverse of the challenge the writers faced two years ago, when they set up a series-finale episode only to be renewed at the last moment.) Yes, many recent "Stargate SG-1" episodes have been weak, and it's clear producers are desperate for ideas. Yet TMQ does not understand why "SG-1" should be cancelled, considering it's not exactly as if Sci-Fi Channel is sagging under the weight of programming anyone wants to watch. For 10 years "Stargate SG-1" has in the main been entertaining, and its recent 200th episode, devoted to the show making fun of itself (characters transformed into puppets, among other things) was really clever.

Sense of humor has been the best quality of "SG-1"; if you listen carefully almost every episode contains a self-mocking reference. In this, "Stargate SG-1" follows the lead of the original Kirk-and-Spock "Star Trek," which had more jokes than its excessively serious successors. The decline of humor in the "Star Trek" serials was, I've always thought, a reason for their ratings deterioration. This makes it especially irritating that "SG-1" might end while the plodding "Atlantis" continues. Since a promising first season, "Stargate Atlantis" has offered clunker episode after clunker episode -- the last two have been egregious. The initially intriguing "Stargate Atlantis" premise of 100 people volunteering for a one-way trip to another galaxy had tension and interest. Now that (inexplicably) the portal between Earth and the distant galaxy can be used at any time, the interest is gone, while "Atlantis" has become a repetitive outer-space soap opera. ("Look, the Wraith are attacking again!") Why save the monotonous "Atlantis" at the expense of wise-cracking "SG-1"?

If these shows are winding down, I'd better get in my Stargate complaints in while I still can. Here is generic Stargate dialogue that could be inserted into any episode at any point:

ANY CHARACTER: We've got to tell the Asgard what the Gou'ald said to the Tokra about the Ori.

ANY OTHER CHARACTER: But the Jaffa don't want the Tau'ri to know what the Athosians found out about the Genii.

COLONEL CARTER: The gate-room plasma generator has gone into neutron overload! It's causing a baryonic antidecompensation feedback loop that will release 100,000 terrajoules of dark energy and fold the entire Earth into a single wave packet! (She pushes a bunch of buttons really fast.) OK, everything's fine now.

Here's another Stargate complaint I need to get on the record while there's time. In the world of "SG-1" and "Atlantis," it is the present day, yet the world already has built four capital starships -- the Prometheus, Daedalus, Korolev and Odyssey -- using designs given to the Air Force by friendly aliens. These enormous faster-than-light vessels are capable of reaching other galaxies, whereas Captain Kirk's Enterprise could travel only within our own Milky Way. Gigantic starcruisers flown by the U.S. Air Force did not show up in the Stargate serials until recent seasons. Obviously the scriptwriters need material, but TMQ liked the original Stargate premise better. The original premise was that archeologists in Egypt discover an entry point for an ancient network of gates that allow instantaneous travel across the cosmos; a handful of Earth's best step through the gate, having no idea what's on the other side and able to take along only that which they can carry. That premise forced plots to focus on contact with strange distant societies and to emphasize the small, halting nature of the human presence. Now that Earth has a fleet of gigantic starships, both Stargate shows depict humanity as a central player in grand events spanning several galaxies. The shows now present United States military units swanning about the universe like cosmic Rambos, easily defeating super-advanced aliens who have possessed light-speed technology for thousands of years. And now armed with starships, both shows have switched from plot-driven scripts to computer-animated space battles. ("Shields at 40 percent!")

Be these things as they may, Tuesday Morning Quarterback wonders -- even if friendly aliens gave us starcruiser plans, could we manufacture the ships? Merely having the plans would not be the same as having the construction base. If someone from the future had materialized in the 18th century workshop of the Scottish prodigy James Watt and handed him a set of plans for a Boeing 747, the inventor of the steam engine hardly would have been able to manufacture a jetliner. Then there's cost: imagine the cost overruns if Halliburton got the contract for starship assembly. In the "Stargate" shows, Earth's starcruisers are depicted as roughly the size of a Nimitz-class supercarrier. Currently the United States is able to build Nimitz-class aircraft carriers at the rate of about one every five years, at about $8 billion per broken champagne bottle. And aircraft carriers do not have hyperdrive or transporter beams! (Though, they do have movie theaters.)

If it takes five years for the actual United States to build one somewhat advanced aircraft carrier, how could the United States of the "Stargate" reality have built four enormous super-advanced starcruisers in just a couple seasons? To top if off, in "Stargate" the fact that Earth has acquired starships is ultra-secret. So where did the money come from? Hundreds of billions of dollars would be involved, and not even Congress could lose track of that much money. Meanwhile thousands of workers and huge industrial facilities would be entailed. Take a look-see at these photos of construction of the Ronald Reagan, the most recently christened U.S. aircraft carrier. There could be four construction projects of this magnitude going on simultaneously and no one would notice?

http://www.reagan.navy.mil/about_rea...ing_reagan.htm

**snippity doo-dah**

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Oh please. I watch SciFi and Fantasy not for it's realism. As long as it tells an ineresting story I'm happy.

One can spoil one's own fun by over-analysing things.

And I have enjoyed every single episode of this season and don't think at all that they have deteriorated.

But I, too, prefer Sg1 to SGA...

Comment

ESPN - how the heck does Morjana find these things? *LOL*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

ESPN?! I find that quite odd.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
          Hmm... is this where the "is there something we ought to know" bit comes up?

[quote]Hundreds of billions of dollars would be involved, and not even Congress could lose track of that much money.[quote]

Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
            It's very easy. You simply create a news alert at www.google.com/news and type in stargate. I've been using it for years and that's how both myself and Morjana find news. Not rocket science

Comment

Originally posted by prion
              It's very easy. You simply create a news alert at www.google.com/news and type in stargate. I've been using it for years and that's how both myself and Morjana find news. Not rocket science
              mmm... That's how you do it.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                mmm... That's how you do it.
                Yup. it's easy, it's free. I've been using Google news alert since it was a mere 'beta' it's very handy if you don't have time to scour sites like this. News gets delivered to your mailbox. You can set it for "deliver immediately" or "bunch all in one day" type notices.

Yahoo news has a similar feature.

In fact, this is an example of a google alert

Google Alert for: "stargate atlantis"

Special to Page 2
                ESPN - USA
                ... Stargate SG-1," the longest-running science-fiction series ever in American television, while keeping the plodding spinoff "Stargate Atlantis" in production at ...
                Last edited by prion; 19 September 2006, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Yeah. We get it. They don't like the shows. But how long do they think they could have gone just walking around through the gate? Yes, the Odyssey and the Korolev should never have been built so soon, and the Prometheus and Daedalus should have been built far later, but who really cares? Its not reality. Yes, they should have more step through the gate episodes and plots, but it wouldn't have affected how many seasons each show ran. Either way, TPTB's ideas would have run out just as fast. It really has no effect, especially when Scifi's reasoning was not the ratings.
                  Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                  encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                  3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                  4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                  5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper
                    Yeah. We get it. They don't like the shows. But how long do they think they could have gone just walking around through the gate? Yes, the Odyssey and the Korolev should never have been built so soon, and the Prometheus and Daedalus should have been built far later, but who really cares? Its not reality. Yes, they should have more step through the gate episodes and plots, but it wouldn't have affected how many seasons each show ran. Either way, TPTB's ideas would have run out just as fast. It really has no effect, especially when Scifi's reasoning was not the ratings.
                    Guess the author of the piece had nothing sports-related to go on about....

Comment

Well, he obviously watches the shows.
                      Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                        Well, he obviously watches the shows.
                        Exactly, I also got the impression he was a fan. Non fans don't bother to nitpick so, they don't care enough!
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry
                          Exactly, I also got the impression he was a fan. Non fans don't bother to nitpick so, they don't care enough!
                          Very true!

The article has now syndicated around, if you check google news...

Comment

Yes, many recent "Stargate SG-1" episodes have been weak, and it's clear producers are desperate for ideas.
                            I don't agree with this statement. I felt that in early S8 for sure, but not anymore since.

Comment

Heh...that was excellent.

And, as far as nitpicks are concerned, they obviously aren't big enough to ruin the show for him. I see a lot of folks on these forums complaining about the same thing, namely, the relative lack of stargate travel vs the military might of the space cruisers, or whatever you call them.

Comment

Working...
                              X