Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Showtime's 2002 Odyssey 5 - Did anyone watch it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Showtime's 2002 Odyssey 5 - Did anyone watch it?

I just came across the Odyssey 5 on Netflix and just watched the pilot and first few episodes. Apparently Showtime cancelled it after one season, even though the storyline seems really interesting with good production values and acting.

My question: has anyone else watched this? And can you tell me if I will end up horribly frustrated if I watch it to some unresolved ending?

It's an amazing show with the worse cliffhanger ending ever.

And someone here called it the worst sci-fi series ever. :-p That's a lie, I think it's one of the grestets, but even if you don't like it how can it be the worst!?

You know who you are mister.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAscended
      I just came across the Odyssey 5 on Netflix and just watched the pilot and first few episodes. Apparently Showtime cancelled it after one season, even though the storyline seems really interesting with good production values and acting.

My question: has anyone else watched this? And can you tell me if I will end up horribly frustrated if I watch it to some unresolved ending?
      Odyssey 5...the concept was good with a few twists, some very familiar SF elements, and good acting. You will enjoy the season, but some felt many episodes had that X-Files feel-and-look (basically new conspiracy theory of the week) without seemingly having a connection to the overall story arc...which is to find and stop the menace that would destroy the world. Then there were others that saw changing things in the past may speed up or slow down events in the future (trying not to spoil things for you)...so having knowledge of the future may not mean much if the group changes some events in the past and creates a new timeline to which they now have to live through instead of knowing what's to come.

In the end, some could blame the writers for trying to cram too many concepts into the season, possibly losing focus on properly setting up the overall story arc of the series and character development, and Showtime has to take blame for not making it better, and for pulling the plug on it so quickly. Odyssey 5 was one of the highest rated shows Showtime had in 2002 and only 14 of the 20 episodes were shown that year. Didn't help that Showtime decided to air the remaining 6 episodes in 2004.
      It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

I'm up to episode 13 at the moment and I really like Odyssey 5. What were Showtime bosses smoking cancelling the show?
        T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

I caught this show on reruns a few months back and absolutely loved it.

I don't know why it got cacelled...the cast was superb
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

It was canceled because back then the blowtime headhonche didn't liked scifi.
            so he canceled the second best rated show of the entire network...

Needless to say, he was rather soon canceled as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis

And what is Manny Coto doing now? Perhaps with the change of Showtime's president they should think about Odyssey 5's continuation?
              T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis

Same with SG-1 and Dead Like Me.

Manny Coto oddly enough is working on 24. I heard that on the DVD commentary for the first episode he said that he wanted to continue the show sometime and wouldn't explain why the Earth went boom.

And I don't understand any of you. It had a "freak of the week" feel to it, but with each one it would expand on one of the things we already knew about. So the "freak" would only be in one episode but it would be part of the overall theme. The best example is the jail episode and it's "freak" and then the riot episode about 10 episodes later. Both different freaks of the week, but at the same time they are the same creature.
                Last edited by Oreo; 16 September 2006, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Great series, very horrible cliffhanger. If it was ever continued in book form, I would definetly pick it up.
                  It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for all the good opinions. I'll now be queueing it up in Netflix and preparing myself to make up my own resolution to the story once I reach that cliff-hanger ending.

Comment

I only watched it for the son - he was hot
                      Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

He played on some NBC show that lasted 2 seasons and was Jake 2.0 if you want to check him out in other shows.

Comment

wohoo - ill check that out Thanks Oreos
                          Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
                            I only watched it for the son - he was hot
                            He was... Actually, Christopher Gorham and Peter Weller was what first piqued my interest in the show, I didn't know anything about the plot. I think the character interaction is one of the things that made this show so good, and was why I was so disappointed in the ending... you care about the characters.
                            It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Def. one of my fav. sci-fi shows.

And Angela is SO DAMN HOT!

Kurt funneh as hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X