This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left in a "Great ship."

The Altereans left their home galaxy in a "great ship." Wouldn't it be awesome if we found it? Btw, considering the fact that it carried the entire race, wouldn't it be utterly huge? Tell me your thoughts ^^.

I like donuts and good rep . P.S. If you send me good rep, I send it back . If you send me Donuts...I'll...umm...*Silence*

I think Daniel probably assumed that all the Alterans came to the Milky Way onboard Atlantis.

Although I'd personally find that to be weird, since it was supposed to be the crown jewel of their empire and I'd assumed it was only built much later on after they'd settled down in the Milky Way. Otherwise, their technology really stagnated despite several million years having passed. That and the fact that Atlantis doesn't seem big enough to ferry their entire civilization, I think it can carry several hundred thousand to a couple of million people, tops.

IMO, it's more logical to assume that the Alterans came in a large convoy of colony vessels. Either that or the 'great ship' should've been at the very least the size of the Magog Worldship from Andromeda.

Comment

The "great ship" was Atlantis. We already found it.
      sigpic
      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Was it really "a" great ship? If I was building a super ship I'd make it able to fit together and break up into smaller pieces when needed.

Comment

If it was Atlantis, they just decided to not advance it at all over the millions of years? I'm pretty sure someone already mentioned that, but I'm sick and tired so leave me alone .

I like donuts and good rep . P.S. If you send me good rep, I send it back . If you send me Donuts...I'll...umm...*Silence*

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of Nightmares
            I think Daniel probably assumed that all the Alterans came to the Milky Way onboard Atlantis.

Although I'd personally find that to be weird, since it was supposed to be the crown jewel of their empire and I'd assumed it was only built much later on after they'd settled down in the Milky Way. Otherwise, their technology really stagnated despite several million years having passed. That and the fact that Atlantis doesn't seem big enough to ferry their entire civilization, I think it can carry several hundred thousand to a couple of million people, tops.

IMO, it's more logical to assume that the Alterans came in a large convoy of colony vessels. Either that or the 'great ship' should've been at the very least the size of the Magog Worldship from Andromeda.
            I take is as being a ark or something like a city ship but much less advanced. and that was one planet...so chances are it was a large ancient warship since we know they can hold about 1000 people on the small scale. It wasn't an entire civilization it was the remnants of a people who lost a war.

"Their victims knew no peace until the Ori came and whispered to them"Sleep for the end draws near"and on that day all will rejoice when the Ori come and lay them low. "

Comment

The whole Ancient storyline has been messed up since they introduced the Ori. Before we thought of the Ancients as these wise old kind of a group sort of like the Nox who were far advanced to us and far wiser far smarter blah blah blah.

Now everyday they look weaker and stupider. Even on these forums people speculate on simple things that show their lack of faith in the Ancients.

I'll always remain faithful but i'm not liking where the Ori story is going.

As far as the Great ship goes... I would assume taht means Atlantis but who knows. Clearly there was more than one city ship. whoooo knowwwws
              www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

1. There WASN'T A STINKING WAR. It was a disagreement with no deaths, the Altereans just left. And Earth has 6 billion, they might have more? Assume that the Altereans were 1/10 of the total populace (probably a lot more) and that is still 600 million. As far as I know, a city-ship can't hold that many...Lower it to 60 million, still too big. 6 millions is still too big...look how many people are in the discovered parts of Atlantis. That is only a couple hundred/thousand. I don't even think 600,000 would fit...

Comment

not to mention that they were building atlantis to go to pegasus and start over.

im sure the ship is long gone.

also, im sure they came in multiple ships, and took centuries to get the population up and going.

Comment

Then why did they specifically, on numerous accounts, say one "great ship?"

Comment

Like I suggested, maybe Daniel's just assuming that's what happened based on Atlantis alone, though it'd be really weird if he was indeed convinced that it was Atlantis. He wasn't there when the Alterans made their mass exodus to the Milky Way. Unless he actually remembers some of that Ascended knowledge including the true history of the Ancients (which I seriously doubt) or found some record of what happened to them offscreen (doubt this as well), all he'd have would be theories of how they might've arrived and not solid evidence.

There's still a whole lot about the Ancients that we don't know about and we're only barely scratched the tip of the iceberg of their civilization, history and technology. Considering how advanced and galaxy-spanning they were, we know they were, it'd be more logical to assume that they came in a massive fleet of colony ships. Even though it's been stated that the Ancients liked to think big, a single ship to ferry their civilization across the stars would have to at least be the size of a solar system, and I seriously doubt anyone could've missed something like that in the Milky Way, considering how the Goa'uld had been dominant throughout most of the galaxy for the better part of the last 10,000 years.

Comment

The size of a solar system? That's going a little bit overboard...if it was designed properly..well it all depends on how large their population was, but it could be anywhere from the size of Hawaii to Texas . A lot of this is theoretical, but the time it took for the journey must've taken a LONG time, so I'm guessing they were put into some sort of chamber where there bodies wouldn't age throughout the journey. In which case, massive amounts of population could exist within a fairly small area. Though, Daniel didn't just assume all of this...he read it out of books =/. Oh, and considering one great ship came from multiple sources (not Daniel assuming,) I am going to assume that it was one great ship, like all of the sources said. Now my memory could be lying, but I'm pretty sure Orlin said something related to it as well...

Comment

No, I'm pretty certain that Daniel was the only one who ever made that remark at the beginning of season 9, and he never even cited his source. I watched 'Ascension' and 'The Fourth Horseman Parts I and II' just last week again and Orlin never said anything like that, only the deal about the Ori and the Ancients splitting due to differences in ideologies.

As for the solar system-sized ship thing, I think I might've gone a little overboard on the size. I was basing this off the the Magog Worldship from Andromeda, a ship the size of a small solar system which comprised something like 20 artificial planets with an artificial sun in the center, all joined together in a complex framework. Although that ship housed something like several hundred billion to a few trillion Magog, so yeah. Still, I'm pretty certain that in their heyday, the Ancients should've numbered in the tens of billions at the very least if they were an advanced multi-galactic civilization so a single ship to house them all would've been ridiculously huge.

Comment

Oh, okay . But when I remember him saying it, I remember him being somewhere Ancient-related with a book in his hands =/.

Comment

I think Daniel mentioned it when he was in the briefing room back in SGC, though my memory's a little fuzzy on this. I also can't recall him holding any book at the time, unless it was the one he found in Avalon. Gah, I'll have to rewatch 'Avalon Parts I and II', you might be right about this.

Btw, where's your sig from? That ship looks pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X