This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci-Fi publishes angry letters... wow

Found out about this in the news section at savestargatesg1.com.

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/letters/ind...show=10&page=1
    Frak! --Apollo
    Frak you. --Cain
    FRAK Me! --Kat
    frakwit! --Tyrol
    B*tch took my ride. --Starbuck

well at least we know sci fi allows some free expression.

Comment

Agreed! I totally hate Sci-Fi for what they have done especially with the fact that it was straight after the 200th, it is absolutely shocking!!
      I HATE SY-FY

Comment

I think they are trying to defuse the anger. We still need to keep sending letters and faxes.

I was looking around LiveJournal last night and apparently a funeral scene has now been filmed for one of the regs on Atlantis, which means Skiffy still intends to "move people".

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I don't know why this is a surprise. A few months ago they had "anti" and "pro" letters going back and forth for at least a week about whether the show had gone downhill or not. Some people I know wondered why they would allow such negativity published about a show they were airing.

The answer was "free expression".

Comment

It's almost as if they're saying ''bwahaha!! look at all these sad geeks, writing letters about a TV show! How lame! ahahahahah''.
            I think it's pretty obvious the SciFi channel doesn't like science fiction or science fiction fans.

Comment

At least SciFi is posting the letters. If they never showed a letter upset over the cancellation of SG1 there would be nonstop complaints of censorship.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                At least SciFi is posting the letters. If they never showed a letter upset over the cancellation of SG1 there would be nonstop complaints of censorship.
                I have to agree with that. At least they aren't totally ignoring just how upset people are about their decision.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I wonder if they'll show a picture if I put a horse's head in one of the Sci Fi exec's bed?

Comment

Originally posted by npattis
                    I wonder if they'll show a picture if I put a horse's head in one of the Sci Fi exec's bed?
                    Dude, that is sooooo, so... Luca Brazzi.
                    Frak! --Apollo
                    Frak you. --Cain
                    FRAK Me! --Kat
                    frakwit! --Tyrol
                    B*tch took my ride. --Starbuck

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                      I don't know why this is a surprise. A few months ago they had "anti" and "pro" letters going back and forth for at least a week about whether the show had gone downhill or not. Some people I know wondered why they would allow such negativity published about a show they were airing.

The answer was "free expression".
                      i don't think it's as much 'free expression' as it is 'stirring the pot'

publish all one side and ignore the other, fans start to notice and rebel and you get the bad rep for 'censoring'...yet if they post letters they know will rile folks up, they generate interest

just like, ever notice every hiatus, about a month before, a spoiler is leaked. and it's usually a spoiler that will rile up the fans. it's not a 'this is the general plot' it'll be a spoiler aimed to annoy one side or another.

they do it to rile up the fandom and get folks talking online with the hopes that they'll write letters, etc and get media notice
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

publish all one side and ignore the other, fans start to notice and rebel and you get the bad rep for 'censoring'...yet if they post letters they know will rile folks up, they generate interest.
                        That certainly is part of it as well. Scifi.com has a P&L that's seperate from the network. While the network needs ratings, the website drives for page views. "Riled up" people visit more often.

Comment

I think it was a nicely writen letter that doesn't say "You should ****ing die for this!"

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

publish all one side and ignore the other, fans start to notice and rebel and you get the bad rep for 'censoring'...yet if they post letters they know will rile folks up, they generate interest

just like, ever notice every hiatus, about a month before, a spoiler is leaked. and it's usually a spoiler that will rile up the fans. it's not a 'this is the general plot' it'll be a spoiler aimed to annoy one side or another.

they do it to rile up the fandom and get folks talking online with the hopes that they'll write letters, etc and get media notice
                            Hey, in show business, there's no such thing as bad publicity (well, except for a few few bad things, like Mel G's drunken outburst or if somebody shoots somebody - running them over with a car doesn't seem to count).

SciFi has been posting letters of all kinds- pro and con (or livid and not livid) for ages.

As for spoiler leakage, the fans invariably find out first. But Scifi isn't going to gripe if the fans do all their publicity for them. Studios can save a bundle - and it's not just scifi fans either.

Comment

I wonder if anyone that "matters" reads any of these letters.
                              "Science Fiction is an existential metaphor. It allows us to to tell stories about the human condition.
                              Isaac Asimov once said 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and and philosphers of today. But the core of science fiction--it's essence--has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.' "
                              ~Grell, 'Silver/Teal'c', SG-1, 200th Episode

Comment

Working...
                              X