This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... what is O'neil doing nowadays?

Was it ever mentioned in an episode what he is doing nowadays? Hammond's departure seemed to really fit in well with the series and was well written with it being clear that he moved on to be dealing with the stargate program on a higher level... I have not really seen that same kind of good writing in O'neil's departure...

I understand that the situation is different, as he is not committed to appear on the show, but they could at least do a little bit of a better job explaining it rather than completely forgetting about a character that was with the show for 8 years.

Originally posted by Attilitus
    Was it ever mentioned in an episode what he is doing nowadays? Hammond's departure seemed to really fit in well with the series and was well written with it being clear that he moved on to be dealing with the stargate program on a higher level... I have not really seen that same kind of good writing in O'neil's departure...

I understand that the situation is different, as he is not committed to appear on the show, but they could at least do a little bit of a better job explaining it rather than completely forgetting about a character that was with the show for 8 years.
    I think he is the head of Homeworld Secruity.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Really? Shouldn't he have been involved in all the massive homeworld security threats we have had in just about every episode?

Comment

He's sitting in his Office of Homeworld Security in a nice big comfy chair scratching his ass while drinkning a beer and watching The Simpsons.

Best Stargate quote:
        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
        Green is your friend.

Comment

Really? Shouldn't he have been involved in all the massive homeworld security threats we have had in just about every episode?
          attilitus, that's issue #3 i have with season 9 (amongst the other 49 issues).

if the writers wanted to write jack out of the show, couldn't they have given him something that didn't require his participation? (head of homeworld security, yet doesn't show up to work and/or participate in alien/human situations?)

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
            He's sitting in his Office of Homeworld Security in a nice big comfy chair scratching his ass while drinkning a beer and watching The Simpsons.
            sounds just like him
            In Memory of Stalingrad

May She Never Be Forgotten.

Comment

I personally think the best way to write him off would to have him become discontented with the administration or the handling of the stargate program and leave a little bit like he did in the AU involving that race of beings who occupied earth and had plans to sterilize the entire human population.

Edit:

Just figured I would elaborate that this would give the Jack character a clean-cut and noble-jackish end... as well as set up a far more engaging 9th season.

Comment

And exactly how many times did Hammond become involved in the day-to-day runnings of the SGC when he was head of Homeworld Security?

Oh wait, that's right. He took Prometheus. . . . . once.

I mean, do you people really forget you're watching a tv show? Richard Dean Anderson took last year off. He didn't want to work. That means Jack O'Neill can't be in the episodes. See how it works?

As for explaining things. . . once you explain something, you're locked into that explanation. Sometimes its' best to keep things undefined until they're actually necessary to a story. Or you can use your own imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                  And exactly how many times did Hammond become involved in the day-to-day runnings of the SGC when he was head of Homeworld Security?

Oh wait, that's right. He took Prometheus. . . . . once.

I mean, do you people really forget you're watching a tv show? Richard Dean Anderson took last year off. He didn't want to work. That means Jack O'Neill can't be in the episodes. See how it works?

As for explaining things. . . once you explain something, you're locked into that explanation. Sometimes its' best to keep things undefined until they're actually necessary to a story. Or you can use your own imagination.
                  I was not suggesting that he take over a starship or appear on the show.

My suggestion was that the writers find a plausible explanation for his sudden and total removal from the show. My specific suggestion was that he become discontented and become completely separated from the stargate program in retirement. (Which would make sense as he has done it before in an AU featured in a major stargate episode)

I can understand your confusion but I never made the suggestion that the writers should make Jack's departure just like Hammond's. I was merely making the observation that Hammond's departure was written far better than Jack's.

Comment

I was not suggesting that he take over a starship or appear on the show.

My suggestion was that the writers find a plausible explanation for his sudden and total removal from the show. My specific suggestion was that he become discontented and become completely separated from the stargate program in retirement. (Which would make sense as he has done it before in an AU featured in a major stargate episode)

I can understand your confusion but I never made the suggestion that the writers should make Jack's departure just like Hammond's. I was merely making the observation that Hammond's departure was written far better than Jack's.
                    Actually, it has.

He's been made head of Homeworld Security. His job isn't to go to the SGC every time there's a problem. His job isn't to go to the SGC randomly. His job is to be head of Homeworld Security. Which entails more than just the SGC these days.

He's a pencil-pusher, a desk-jockey. He's in an executive position and a busy one.

Hammond commanded the SGC for seven years and rarely went through the Gate. It isn't the job of the commanding general to go on missions. Jack is now head of Homeworld Security. It isn't his job to be at the SGC every week. It's only truly extraordinary circumstances that would change something like this.

Edited to fix typo.
                    Last edited by Bragi; 01 September 2006, 09:00 PM.

Comment

"Actually it hasn't" ?

Sorry... I don't understand what part of my post you are responding too... The post that you quoted has absolutely nothing to do with your comments. (All of your comments not just the first line...)

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                        Actually, it hasn't.

He's been made head of Homeworld Security. His job isn't to go to the SGC every time there's a problem. His job isn't to go to the SGC randomly. His job is to be head of Homeworld Security. Which entails more than just the SGC these days.

He's a pencil-pusher, a desk-jockey. He's in an executive position and a busy one.

Hammond commanded the SGC for seven years and rarely went through the Gate. It isn't the job of the commanding general to go on missions. Jack is now head of Homeworld Security. It isn't his job to be at the SGC every week. It's only truly extraordinary circumstances that would change something like this.
                        I know what you are trying to say and I agree with you.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Could you explain it to me? Maybe I am just reading it wrong.

Comment

Hammond was thrown into homeworld security when he wanted to retire... now jack has his job... nothing was mentioned about hammond after jack got his job.... He's now homeless on the street.... no lol he retired.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

So... what is O'neil doing nowadays?
                              off fishin'

Question 2, you are in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on his back, in the hot sun. You recognize his plight but do nothing to help, why?

because… you are also a tortoise.

O’NEILL: No. No. Full well expected the other shoe to drop eventually.

THOR: We can only hope this will be the last footwear to fall.

T-minus 16 days until sky one season 10 premiere.

Comment

Working...
                              X