This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hallowed is Isaac Asimov

ths thread is for any person who reveres the wonderful works of Isaac Asimov

I've only read I, Robot: LOVE that book- and I've probably read various otehr bits and pieces byt him that I can't think of. Got the Gold and Magic collections to read. I've tried to aquire Foundation several times and for some reason have never had any luck (all copies of the first book from the library are lost, the bookstore was out of stock etc.....) I'll read it someday.

Indeed, Hallowed is Isaac Asimov!

Comment

May he rest in peace. I read I, Robot back in High School. Good book.
      sigpic
      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Asimov is one of the first science fiction writers who´s work I read.

My personal favotire of his would be the Foundation series.

Comment

Ever since I saw I, robot I've wanted to read the book and I've heard nothing but good things about his other works, can anyone reccomend a few?

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
          Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
          Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Comment

I highly recommend his Foundation Series. Very heady stuff, about destiny and mathematics and civilization.

Screw Robert Heinlen; Asimov is the great one of science ficiton.

::bows head in reverance::
            Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
            I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
            What have these years left to me?
            Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Hallowed is Isaac Asimov, indeed.

I read I, Robot when I was about 8. I then read The Naked Sun, and the Foundation trilogy (I could find only the original 3 books at the time). A few years ago, I found the other Foundation books at my library, and read the rest of the series.

I should keep half an eye out for more of his work...
              I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

Well, I don't know about revere, but I sure do love his work! I don't think I've ever read a novel of his, but I've read as many short stories as I can get my hands on. I think my favorites are "Nightfall", "The Bicentennial Man" and "Death of a Foy".

He's hugely entertaining when he's writing introductions, too. I have a couple of anthologies he's edited where I've read every story introduction, but only read maybe a third of the stories.

He has come up with some amazing notions for his stories (Nightfall) and also for his humorous short stories (Death of a Foy).

As for recommendations, well, "I Robot" is a must. I also really enjoyed "Nine Tomorrows", "Nightfall and Other Stories", "The Bicentennial Man and Other Stories", and "The Early Asimov".

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

I, Robot really should be mandatory reading.

Comment

I'm a big fan of his Foundation series - plenty of twists and turns in that one.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I can't think of anywhere else to ask. I read a couple of short stories a couple of decades ago.

One is about people on a planet where the radiation causes them to grow and age very rapidly--living only for seven days. Eventually, someone figures out how to make it to a ship that is there and the shielding prevents the radiation from aging them.

The other is about a man in a village (city? town? hamlet?) who wants to climb to the top of a huge wall that apparently circles the planet and see what's on the other side. A rampart is built and he climbs to the top and sees a great plain. He walks across the plain for a very long time and eventually sees ahead of him the very people he left behind him. His planet is something of a Mobius Strip with no other side--the wall was built to prevent people from seeing this and going mad.

I don't know the names of these stories or the authors and I don't think they were in the same book, but they've gnawed at me for years. I SO want to re-read them. Can anyone help? Thanks!

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Asimov has been one of my favorites for decades. I love his short stories. Nightfall is great, but don't miss the rest in that volume.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                          I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I can't think of anywhere else to ask. I read a couple of short stories a couple of decades ago.

One is about people on a planet where the radiation causes them to grow and age very rapidly--living only for seven days. Eventually, someone figures out how to make it to a ship that is there and the shielding prevents the radiation from aging them.

The other is about a man in a village (city? town? hamlet?) who wants to climb to the top of a huge wall that apparently circles the planet and see what's on the other side. A rampart is built and he climbs to the top and sees a great plain. He walks across the plain for a very long time and eventually sees ahead of him the very people he left behind him. His planet is something of a Mobius Strip with no other side--the wall was built to prevent people from seeing this and going mad.

I don't know the names of these stories or the authors and I don't think they were in the same book, but they've gnawed at me for years. I SO want to re-read them. Can anyone help? Thanks!
                          never heard of either of them but they sound interesting

Comment

Asimov is one of the best. I love how he created whole future (after joining stories from his robots series with foundation ones) that you can acctually believe in...

I see someone mentioned Heinlein and i would like to mention Herbert and his Dune universe...
                            VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Originally posted by silence
                              I see someone mentioned Heinlein and i would like to mention Herbert and his Dune universe...
                              Absolutly about Dune- that was the first sci-fi novel I went out and bought. Loved it. Don't know if I'll read any of the sequels, but I love that book.

Hallowed are Herbert and Heinlein!

Comment

Working...
                              X