This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protest outside Sci Fi

Would it do any good to rally a protest outside of the Sci Fi channel HQ?

Originally posted by SyMaxian~
    Would it do any good to rally a protest outside of the Sci Fi channel HQ?
    If anything, it could draw media attention (if you sent out a press release at least a week beforehand to the media) and the possibility to be in the papers or on TV news. From the news coverage, some readers/viewers may get curious and tune into the show to see what all the commotion is about.

Size or numbers of people at any rally is important. You don't want to embarrass yourself or give the very public impression that only a small number of people watch the show or care about it. Plus people attending the rally have to keep their emotions in check and NOT block walkways or driveways or confront any/every employee that have nothing to do with the cancellation. The Police and Security depts take a very dim view if anything gets even close to being physical and will end the rally early.

If a rally is done responsibly and is well behaved, a few of the shows stars and producers may venture/come out (if they are there) and address the crowd, sign autographs, or just shoot the breeze with fans. The studio or network *might* provide a couple cases of water and boxes of donuts, even though you are protesting their decision.

Look at the sparse numbers that showed up at ST:ENT's rallies:

New York (granted the weather was 21°):

Los Angeles (est ranges from 100-150...if you include the Star Wars fans that showed up and the bus riders waiting at the bus stop):

There used to be a couple of videos of the L.A. rally, but it's been taken down at most of the sites.

Can't find the UK pictures...but sadly, there were only 4-5 people that showed up.

Can do a search...Israel had a nice turnout at their rally. YouTube might still have the video they made of their rally.

It is important to note that the ST fanbase was split on the fate or even the very existence of ENT. So you have fans of the show that wanted more (at least one more season) on one side and those that felt ENT wasn't "Trek" and the franchise, as a whole, needed a new direction/changes or the franchise would die.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Everyone should try to get this out in as many ways as possible.

The HypaSpace segment that SPACE airs here in Canada has done a couple of features on the cancellation. I sent off an email to them today asking if they wouldn't mind doing a spot on the SaveStargateSG1 that GateWorld is featuring right now. Sure, it's doubtful that anything will happen but I gave it a shot.

Plus I'm complaining via email to SCI FI about every other day, and plan to get on board with the Kleenex Box campaign some time soon.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm all for protesting outside Sci-Fi, emailing them, writing them, etc. They deserve to know what a crap decision they made regarding SG-1. Plus, a little bad publicity for them never hurts.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Well our newspaper has a little spot called Shows to Watch and every Friday, SG-1 is in there.
          Oh, believe me its not the first time we tried it
          I shot him...

in the leg...
          I'm invulnerable!
          Spoiler:
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten.
          http://www.aviationexplorer.com/airc...ft_carrier.jpgUSN

Comment

Do it, do it, I live in england and whoever goes my mind and heart will be with you all, long live the stargate!!
            I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Do it if you must, but get a big crowd and be respectful.

Comment

Wow!! This is crazy!! Last night I had the most crazy dream. It was like 20,000 + SG1 fans outside the SciFi building in NYC. We were all chanting something and it was sick man. There was media EVERYWHERE all the major news networks. There were cops in strike gear ( although they never used it) the whole nine yards. GREAT dream. So yeah I'm all for protesting outside the hq. Better yet I'd like to see a protest at the hq on a MASSIVE scale.

Comment

This is one strategy that didn't work for Farscape. To do it when the executives are actually there, you have to do it on a weekday and not too many people, apparently, are willing to take off from work. Farscape only had less than ten people show up. You can imagine that it didn't have the effect intended.

Comment

we need to either organise one huge group in one location say rockerfella plaza one weekend and organise it weeks in advance so as many ppl can make it or have small gatherings across the world at famous landmarks

Comment

It seems to me that something happend more than ratings and cost.
                      Why would the channel want to enforce the part of the contract that lets them stop the show from being picked up by another US channel and keep going. Either air it or let it go.
                      Looks like revenge to me. Maybe my logic is in error. I just cant belive it is all about the cost. The outlook of... If I cant afford it, Then nobody is going to have it is like something children would do and we have to teach them better. Oh I forgot nobody ever said big networks acted like adults did they?

With this in mind, If it is a cost issue with the show for the channel...All Fans can dend money to the channel to halp them pay for SG1 . Just mail it to the channel with letters of what it is for.

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by GMTalkingdeer
                        It seems to me that something happend more than ratings and cost.
                        Why would the channel want to enforce the part of the contract that lets them stop the show from being picked up by another US channel and keep going. Either air it or let it go.
                        Looks like revenge to me. Maybe my logic is in error. I just cant belive it is all about the cost. The outlook of... If I cant afford it, Then nobody is going to have it is like something children would do and we have to teach them better. Oh I forgot nobody ever said big networks acted like adults did they?

With this in mind, If it is a cost issue with the show for the channel...All Fans can dend money to the channel to halp them pay for SG1 . Just mail it to the channel with letters of what it is for.

What do you think?
                        true if evey fan who signed the petition to save sg1 gave $10 that would be
                        26646 x 10 = $266460

Comment

Originally posted by Unamed
                          true if evey fan who signed the petition to save sg1 gave $10 that would be
                          26646 x 10 = $266460
                          Yeah but it didn't exactly go that well for Enterprise when they tried something similar did it. I don't think their campaign to raise money to pay for the show themselves ever came anywhere near what they needed.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie
                            Yeah but it didn't exactly go that well for Enterprise when they tried something similar did it. I don't think their campaign to raise money to pay for the show themselves ever came anywhere near what they needed.
                            with that attitude nothing will happen we need to be proactive and positive

Comment

I'd do it if I was anywhere near there. I'm way too far away and don't have the money to just up and do something like that. I think it's a great idea though. It would be nice if we could get some serious media attention.

2004 Get in the Gate Winner

The less often a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Comment

Working...
                              X