X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Stargate Worlds' to use Unreal Engine 3

Press Release

MESA, Ariz., August 28th , 2006 — Game developer Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment (CME), and Epic Games today announced a license agreement in which CME will use Epic’s Unreal® Engine 3 technology for the development of the upcoming, highly anticipated Stargate Worlds and future multi-platform games.

Based on the popular science fiction television series “Stargate: SG-1” and “Stargate Atlantis,” Stargate Worlds is a Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) which is scheduled to launch in late 2007.

“The combination of a robust graphics environment with extensible development tools allows us to deliver ground-breaking game content for Stargate Worlds commensurate with the quality of the #1 rated sci-fi franchise and future multi-platform games,” said Joe Ybarra, vice president of product development for Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment. “Our development team is very excited about using the Unreal Engine 3.”

“MGM is committed to finding ways to extend the Stargate franchise and this is a logical step,” said Travis Rutherford, executive vice president, MGM Consumer Products and Location Based Entertainment. “Stargate Worlds will be the premier Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) developed by CME. Combining Unreal Engine 3 technology with Big World’s™ client server technology ensures an exceptional MMO experience for Stargate fans and gamers on a global basis. Furthermore, these partnerships will maximize CME’s resources and efforts, allowing the developer to create the most fantastic worlds, the best characters and the most compelling game play possible.”

“Combining these technologies (Unreal® Engine 3 and Big World™) provides Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment the strategic advantage to deliver highly anticipated, top quality games where the focus is on making great gameplay and immersive worlds,” added Tim Jenson, chief executive officer of Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment.

“We have a lot of Stargate fans around our company, so we’re thrilled to see that Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment is creating a massive multi-player game based on Stargate,” said Mark Rein, vice president, Epic Games Inc. “To have that MMO created using Unreal® Engine 3 extends the excitement even further for us.”

“BigWorld looks forward to working with Epic and Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment to enable the exciting goals of Stargate Worlds. Our highly available secure server architecture is the perfect companion to the Unreal 3 client engine.” said Gavin Longhurst, director of business development for BigWorld. Officially licensed by MGM Interactive, Stargate Worlds is being developed by Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment.

Heres some pictures of the engine in action...
    Spoiler:

This may not seem such big news to some of you but let me assure you, Unreal Engine 3 is THE top graphics engine at the moment and will be running games such as Gears of War and Mass Effect. This is an advance warning for you to start saving your pennies for a new graphics card....
    Last edited by stewsith; 29 August 2006, 08:12 AM.
    Director/Editor/Writer

actually i dont care what engine they use...this game better not be a big dissapointment cuase i am already pissed at scifi...and i am looking to this game to be the life perserver...so dont screw it up alot of fans are counting on CME
    DAM YOU SCI FI.....DAM U TO SCI HELL arghhhh.....

Comment

So....my computer can't run it. Awesome. Now they better do a 360 version. Especially given how easy it is to port that engine to it.

Comment

Awesome, looks good so far.

Just hope it doesn't go the way of SG-1 Alliance AND SG-1 itself.
        I'm proud to be an American.

"...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

Comment

UE3 for an MMO? thats a bit unusual, not sure how well that would work

not to mention a lot of SG fans are going to have to upgrade their computers just to play this thing
          - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k

not to mention a lot of SG fans are going to have to upgrade their computers just to play this thing
            If they have to upgrade...then so be it. Graphics help make the game i think. So let it be the best that i can be.

Comment

i cant wait, the unreal engine it brilliant and i dont care if i have to upgrade, this is going to be awesome!
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

What the hell is with that body armour?
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Will they remake the Alliance game with the Unreal3 too?
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu
                    Will they remake the Alliance game with the Unreal3 too?
                    i dont think theres even a developer for that game anymore
                    - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Pretty...
                      Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                      Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                      -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by Konman72
                        So....my computer can't run it. Awesome. Now they better do a 360 version. Especially given how easy it is to port that engine to it.
                        Yeah, hopefully they will port that to consoles. The press release says that there will be multiplatform titles anyway, so hopefully they include Stargate also.

The Unreal Engine 3 doesn't necessarily fit Xbox 360 well. Games using UE3 have especially lot of jaggies, because the engine doesn't really support antialiasing. UE3 is supposed to be an easy platform to build on, but when they need to include the support for the multiple cores and threads, there're problems. Actually the E3 demo of Gears of War used only one thread, because Epic, the engine creator itself, haven't dared to implement the multi-core technology. Appearently UE3 isn't so easy to edit.
                        Lammasliivi Productions - His past becomes our future
                        Jaffa Troopers - No more slavery to false gods!
                        Xbox Live: Paavi

Comment

I have an old link of a video showing a demo of what Unreal Engine 3 can do. Its 161.72 MB and in a zip file.

http://download.beyondunreal.com/fil...3engine_e3.zip

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k

It's not that unusual, they used UE2.1 (Unreal 2) for a lot of MMO's, such as Lineage 2.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                              i cant wait, the unreal engine it brilliant and i dont care if i have to upgrade, this is going to be awesome!
                              LOl same Here and the PC game industry knows this too no matter how hiogh the requirements for a PC game us comsumers will dish out to upgrade our comps to play it.....I HAVE high hopes for this game!!!

and when i checked out there site...is that a Unas? in the artwork
                              DAM YOU SCI FI.....DAM U TO SCI HELL arghhhh.....

Comment

Working...
                              X