Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sky One's premiering on October 18th - about bloody time! But I won't be watching it

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky One's premiering on October 18th - about bloody time! But I won't be watching it

Quite simply, until they start showing it at the same time (or near enough) to the US, I'll continue downloading it and watching it without 20 minutes of annoying adverts THAT START WITHIN 3 miutes of the show being on. Sky take the piss and always have done, so I'll take the piss with them. Channel 4 in fact are just as bad with Lost.

Things that I do watch on there I actually record then watch once they're finished; I save 20 minutes of my life per hour that way.

Anyone else out there feel the same?

I'd only feel that way if I wanted both shows to get cancelled...they shows need to do well overseas too.
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Were not suposed to talk about the 'D' word on hear. Although I do feel the same way as you. Although it is more comfortable watching it on tv.

Very neutral.

STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
      legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
        I'd only feel that way if I wanted both shows to get cancelled...they shows need to do well overseas too.
        If I were overseas I'd:

a) Get the show promptly anyway
        b) Record it but still make a point of having the TV on so that my 'vote' counted (or is it just the cable box being on that channel that counts? I'd be doing that to record it anyway).

As it is, I live in the UK and whether I watch it or not won't count towards the show being produced, so download I will.

Originally posted by bcfc
        Were not suposed to talk about the 'D' word on hear. Although I do feel the same way as you. Although it is more comfortable watching it on tv.

Very neutral.

I believe we're not meant to talk aboput how to download as opposed to the fact that we do it. As for watching it on TV - I download, transcode then burn to DVD for viewing with the Mrs on the TV via the DVD player, so I get the best of both worlds.

Comment

We're not allowed to talk about downloading...full stop.

sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by Groove
            Quite simply, until they start showing it at the same time (or near enough) to the US, I'll continue downloading it and watching it without 20 minutes of annoying adverts THAT START WITHIN 3 miutes of the show being on. Sky take the piss and always have done, so I'll take the piss with them. Channel 4 in fact are just as bad with Lost.

Things that I do watch on there I actually record then watch once they're finished; I save 20 minutes of my life per hour that way.

What do you want them to do? They start seasons a lot later than the US because they dont want a long hiatus, and they put the comercials in because they have to fill a 1 hour time slot and only have a 42 or so mintute show to fill it with. The comercials are put in the specific plces because they are trying to get the show to flow properly, I would rather they put a comercials at the end of the Teaser, and at the end of each Act, that say putting a comercial half way in between Act 1, Act two, and so on, as the shows are meant to be divided up like that.

FFS We will get almost all, if not all of the second half of SG1 finished before it even starts in the US!
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Ads suck, no question but thefact is without ads there wouldn't be any tv shows like SG-1, there probably wouldn't be much of any kind of tv at all.
              I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Personally, i don't have a problem with adverts on Sky One, gives me time to top up a drink, go to the toilet etc. They're just the right length. Lost on channel 4 is a bit different though. They've cut them down and they're better places but back in S1 it was just ridiculous. They actually allowed 5 more minutes for the show to air more adverts...

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Sky ones adverts as far as I can tell have always come in the same time periods, around 8-10 minutes in, then around the half hour point, then around the 10 mins to go mark. You only get 3 ad breaks in one hour, and like Anubis69 said, thats when you get your drinks and business done! If you want quality programmes like SG1 and Atlantis and Lost and 24 on decent channels then I'm afraid you're going to have to put up with ads. UK ratings will help matters as far as MGM are concerned, and so's every other country in the world, so you shouldn't boycott watching it when it airs just because of ads which are unavoidable!

And if we get to watch it here before anyone else in the world then you should thank Sky One by at least watching it live!

Question 2, you are in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on his back, in the hot sun. You recognize his plight but do nothing to help, why?

because… you are also a tortoise.

O’NEILL: No. No. Full well expected the other shoe to drop eventually.

THOR: We can only hope this will be the last footwear to fall.

T-minus 16 days until sky one season 10 premiere.

Comment

We're not allowed to talk about downloading...full stop.

Ah, well I've seen like 1,846 people discussing it on here so I assumed it was OK. Oops.

PtahTheCreationGod, 2 points:
                    1) Ads = we pay for cable/satellite service as it is.
                    2) Ads accepted as typical for TV - fair enough, but they make them stupid long. The ads between shows when people are less likely to watch are shorter IMO, so that the ones between breaks can be longer. Plus, aren't the shows requested to be a certain length of time by the networks themselves? - meaning that Sci-Fi is just as bad (seeing as they're the ones who have the contract with MGM). Oh, and I've caught episodes of Star Trek that I've seen before shown on Sky One as being shorter than they should be, and scenes have been CUT OUT!

As for getting the 2nd half before the US, I'm extremely doubtful that will happen.

Plus:
                    Originally posted by Anubis69
                    They've cut them down and they're better places but back in S1 it was just ridiculous. They actually allowed 5 more minutes for the show to air more adverts...
                    It's that kind of greed that really riles me up - they may not do it now, but they'd like to - and maybe they're cutting the shows as with Star Trek eh? Oh, and Channel 4 still do that with Lost (I think) and definately did do with Desperate Housewives BTW.

Anubis69 and tommiekins, RE nipping out for a drink top-up, etc: I sometimes make a point of that on the occasion that I feel like sitting down and watching there and then but it's rare and I don't like hopping up and down when watching - I like to sit and watch.

Put simply, I accept that ads are necesssary, especially for the free channels. Sky isn't free, and they charge ridiculous amounts, upping prices every 2 months or so when I was with them. Thankfully I'm now in an area where I can get the much more affordable Telewest - whose prices have remained pretty much consistent the last 2 years that I've had them. It's not just ads for the sake of making the programme worthwhile - Sky are greedy b@stards, that's what I dislike. Bear in mind that with primetime big shows Sky can also charge more money for an ad slot, so there's no need for them to be lengthy.

Plus I think we're forgetting something - 14 weeks after being shown in the US?! Isn't that, like... 3 and a half months?!

Comment

Ah, well I've seen like 1,846 people discussing it on here so I assumed it was OK. Oops.

2) Ads accepted as typical for TV - fair enough, but they make them stupid long. The ads between shows when people are less likely to watch are shorter IMO, so that the ones between breaks can be longer. Plus, aren't the shows requested to be a certain length of time by the networks themselves? - meaning that Sci-Fi is just as bad (seeing as they're the ones who have the contract with MGM). Oh, and I've caught episodes of Star Trek that I've seen before shown on Sky One as being shorter than they should be, and scenes have been CUT OUT!

As for getting the 2nd half before the US, I'm extremely doubtful that will happen.

Plus:It's that kind of greed that really riles me up - they may not do it now, but they'd like to - and maybe they're cutting the shows as with Star Trek eh? Oh, and Channel 4 still do that with Lost (I think) and definately did do with Desperate Housewives BTW.

Anubis69 and tommiekins, RE nipping out for a drink top-up, etc: I sometimes make a point of that on the occasion that I feel like sitting down and watching there and then but it's rare and I don't like hopping up and down when watching - I like to sit and watch.

Put simply, I accept that ads are necesssary, especially for the free channels. Sky isn't free, and they charge ridiculous amounts, upping prices every 2 months or so when I was with them. Thankfully I'm now in an area where I can get the much more affordable Telewest - whose prices have remained pretty much consistent the last 2 years that I've had them. It's not just ads for the sake of making the programme worthwhile - Sky are greedy b@stards, that's what I dislike. Bear in mind that with primetime big shows Sky can also charge more money for an ad slot, so there's no need for them to be lengthy.

Plus I think we're forgetting something - 14 weeks after being shown in the US?! Isn't that, like... 3 and a half months?!
                      What are 3 and a half months in comparison to about 2 years some countries have to wait for the new seasons? Plus, you'll get the second half of the season sooner than American viewers, 'cause (let's hope for it) Sky One isn't going to take 3 months long break between episode 10 and 11. Americans have to wait til March for the back half of the season, in UK it probably will be finished by then.
                      T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by bcfc

Very neutral.

XBMC and a NAS

Comment

If you do not have a ratings box it does not matter

Comment

Great. Why don't we all reduce Stargate's economic value everywhere. That way NO ONE will have any reason to purchase rights to air it and MGM will no longer have any reason to produce it.

Brilliant.

It's TV Series Death brought about by fans themselves.

MGM doesn't produce the show as a charity.

Bear in mind that with primetime big shows Sky can also charge more money for an ad slot, so there's no need for them to be lengthy.
                            But, wouldn't the big shows also cost them more? The more a show cost the network to acquire, the more it needs that extra ad revenue to justify itself.

Comment

h, well I've seen like 1,846 people discussing it on here so I assumed it was OK. Oops.

Plus:
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Anubis69
                              They've cut them down and they're better places but back in S1 it was just ridiculous. They actually allowed 5 more minutes for the show to air more adverts...

It's that kind of greed that really riles me up - they may not do it now, but they'd like to - and maybe they're cutting the shows as with Star Trek eh? Oh, and Channel 4 still do that with Lost (I think) and definately did do with Desperate Housewives BTW.

No one here is denying Sky is greedy, look what it did with the cricket, buying the rights to it all so terrestrial channels can't hardly show anything! Its a capitalist corporation, of course it's greedy. But there is no reason to boycott SG1 and Atlantis on sky one simply because of the ads and the fact that we get it a few months after the U.S. If everyone thought that then there wouldn't be a show and there is NO WAY its going to go beyond season 10. All support, no matter how little, is needed for the show we love to continue.

Question 2, you are in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on his back, in the hot sun. You recognize his plight but do nothing to help, why?

because… you are also a tortoise.

O’NEILL: No. No. Full well expected the other shoe to drop eventually.

THOR: We can only hope this will be the last footwear to fall.

T-minus 16 days until sky one season 10 premiere.

Comment

Working...
                              X