This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New espect for Mitchell

I think this was the episode Mitchell really came into his own, instead of being Jack's fill-in.

Watching him handle the standoff scenes were extremely impressive seeing as how delicately he handled the tone of voice and words chosen. I think this is the first time he handled a sitaution better than Jack would have, because Jack would've made snide comments and pissed off the Jaffa, then *****ed about how ungrateful they were. Mitchell was pure business - take out the Ori, screw the rest.

I also like the scene where they decided to blow the C4- yes he hesitated, but it was less out of fear than just trying to get his last minute right ("last words" and all), then triggered it. I don't think Jack would have been so willing to sacrifice himself so /quietly/ (don't invoke the movie, they've evolved him far past that point). he'd have done some hail mary plan that could have left him unable to detonate the explosives.

Originally posted by Ranlier
    I also like the scene where they decided to blow the C4- yes he hesitated, but it was less out of fear than just trying to get his last minute right ("last words" and all), then triggered it. I don't think Jack would have been so willing to sacrifice himself so /quietly/ (don't invoke the movie, they've evolved him far past that point). he'd have done some hail mary plan that could have left him unable to detonate the explosives.
    I don't know if you would call having a second hatak come into view as a hail mary plan, but otherwise this scene copies one from The Serpent's Lair.
    From the transcript here
    Spoiler:
    http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/starga...argate-201.htm

O'NEILL: Daniel, if we don't stop them now, we may never stop them.

DANIEL: Yeah, I know that.

He pulls out another block of C4 and places around the front of the pel'tak.

DANIEL: Let's just make as big a dent as possible. Okay?

CARTER: Ready and awaiting your order, sir.

O'NEILL: Okay. Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound. [pause] Nothing comes to mind. Let's do it.

Teal'c looks out of the viewscreen.

TEAL'C: O'Neill. Apophis' ship approaches.

DANIEL: We overheard in the Gateroom he said he would rejoin Klorel once they came out of the shadows.

O'NEILL: Teal'c, if we can knock out this ship, will it stop them?

TEAL'C: It will not. Apophis' vessel is equipped with defence shields. He will still be able to destroy your cities from high above.

Edited to correct the episode title.
    Last edited by alderleaf; 27 August 2006, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I respected Mitchell before this episode, so no real change for me. But I will admit, he handled himself like a true member of SG-1. I love how he's come such a long way since his introduction last season.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
        I respected Mitchell before this episode, so no real change for me. But I will admit, he handled himself like a true member of SG-1. I love how he's come such a long way since his introduction last season.
        Of course, if he does anything that shows him as being an individual, it's a big improvement...

I think it was a step up for Mitchell, I think O'Neill would've handled it better, but I like the fact they're finally diverging.

Comment

Can someone please fix the title of the thread?! The missing "r" in "respect" is driving me crazy!

Personally, I always respected him, except in Off the Grid, but I'm chalking that one up to the writer being new and not knowing how to write for a new character. But I prefer Mitchell less grim and more bouncy and enthusiastic. But that's me.

Comment

That is what is so upsetting about the cancellation. The new characters have now come into their own, and its given the writers the opportunity to try new ideas and scenarios, then SciFi gets squirrelly.

*getting angry again*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

But, SciFi keeping SG1 on would be a gamble as the whether of not the writers manage to develop the characters into a sufficient quality. As a fan, I don't like the idea of SG1 being cancelled. But from a buisness point of view, can anyone honestly say it doesn't make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Tekin_Kashami
                But, SciFi keeping SG1 on would be a gamble as the whether of not the writers manage to develop the characters into a sufficient quality. As a fan, I don't like the idea of SG1 being cancelled. But from a buisness point of view, can anyone honestly say it doesn't make sense?
                Actually I don't see the sense in it. I can see why they did it but they needed to give it alittle leeway. Some fans have had trouble adjusting to the new character/direction of the show, though I'm not one. The fans that had trouble are finally enjoying the show and the ratings have been steadily improving. Which IMO shows that the fans still love the show and the ones that had no problem with the new direction stuck with it, and the others are rejoining the fold. IMO this has been a great season and while it had a rough start it was improving. I have always respected Mitchell and I'm glad most people have and some finally getting used to him. IMO we could have had excellent ratings and I think we'd still be in the same boat. Scifi is pleased they are in Guiness and thats all they want.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Cancellation is a gamble too.

It's obvious that S10 is great. Yet here they are thinking, "oh well. they'll never get new ideas".... :rolleye:

Hello, Ori = oppurtunity to revisit worlds we've been to before. To get new strategies, new stories, new characters, new problems & dilemmas...

Here we have basically evil Ancients, who can whoop just about EVERYONE, and has a religious tilt.

We in this world already have a problem of how to solve religious militant fanaticism. This is one HELL of a topic that needs to be covered in SG1 or whatever upcoming and possible spinoff.
                  http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
                    Cancellation is a gamble too.

It's obvious that S10 is great. Yet here they are thinking, "oh well. they'll never get new ideas".... :rolleye:

Hello, Ori = oppurtunity to revisit worlds we've been to before. To get new strategies, new stories, new characters, new problems & dilemmas...

Here we have basically evil Ancients, who can whoop just about EVERYONE, and has a religious tilt.

We in this world already have a problem of how to solve religious militant fanaticism. This is one HELL of a topic that needs to be covered in SG1 or whatever upcoming and possible spinoff.
                    No kidding and MGM and TPTB will fight tooth and nail to give us that.

Comment

I think this was the episode
                      Which episode? Not having seen anything past F&B yet, I have no clue which one you mean and neither your post nor thread header include the title.

And since some of us haven't seen S10 yet, it might be nice to use spoiler tags besides. If you don't want to use spoiler tags, please have the courtesy to put this kind of thing in the episode thread, where we expect to find spoilers and enter at our own risk.

Albion
                      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                        Actually I don't see the sense in it. I can see why they did it but they needed to give it alittle leeway. Some fans have had trouble adjusting to the new character/direction of the show, though I'm not one. The fans that had trouble are finally enjoying the show and the ratings have been steadily improving. Which IMO shows that the fans still love the show and the ones that had no problem with the new direction stuck with it, and the others are rejoining the fold. IMO this has been a great season and while it had a rough start it was improving. I have always respected Mitchell and I'm glad most people have and some finally getting used to him. IMO we could have had excellent ratings and I think we'd still be in the same boat. Scifi is pleased they are in Guiness and thats all they want.
                        I have to disagree. I'm not a fan of the new direction, but I know several people who weren't fans of 1-8 that are now joining in for the more childish humor. It's all about style. Pegasus project? Or Window of Opportunity?
                        It's not the old fans rejoining, it's new fans coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekin_Kashami
                          I have to disagree. I'm not a fan of the new direction, but I know several people who weren't fans of 1-8 that are now joining in for the more childish humor. It's all about style. Pegasus project? Or Window of Opportunity?
                          It's not the old fans rejoining, it's new fans coming in.
                          Well we all have our own views and I can agreee with your point of view. I have however been a fan from the begining and (no disrespect intended) and believe while I miss RDA the new characters have added more depth to the show IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                            Which episode? Not having seen anything past F&B yet, I have no clue which one you mean and neither your post nor thread header include the title.

And since some of us haven't seen S10 yet, it might be nice to use spoiler tags besides. If you don't want to use spoiler tags, please have the courtesy to put this kind of thing in the episode thread, where we expect to find spoilers and enter at our own risk.
                            I agree but why hang around the S10 board when you've only seen one episode? Maybe you should be more cautious with threads considering it says right on the board description: "BEWARE OF SPOILERS"
                            sigpic
                            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

That whole scene was a rip off of the scene the 2nd poster quoted in The Serpents Lair, I still can't stand Mitchell, but then thats because I cant accept change and can't adjust to new characters

Now the character that really shone in the last episode was Vala IMO, back to who we saw in "The Powers That Be". I havent been able to stand her this season, but in Counterstrike she came off as a fantastic character and a pleasure to watch, thank God TPTB are giving Claudia a hance to really show off her acting talents, rather than her "other" talents that they seem to be such big fans of.
                              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Working...
                              X