This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scifi and its terrible programing

With the recent direction that Scifi is going in as far as shows, I thought people may want to band together and discuss the recent BAD shows that the network has put on for us to watch.

Also feel free to discuss all the bad shows or movies that the network has put on in the past.

I agree with Darren's blog that the scifi channel is going to slowly do away with the scifi element of the network in favor of a new direction.

So let it all out...Down with ECW, WWE, Who wants to be a Superhero, reruns of Scifi orginal movies that no one watches, Dark Angel, and NBC Fall previews.

I have other ones I do not esp like but I do not want to upset people on the board who read this who like certain shows. I do not want this thread to turn into a bashing session of individual opinions.

Scifi is in danger and if they also cancel shows like atlantis, BSG and Dr. Who, we will no longer have a network that can and has shown quality scifi shows in the past.
    Last edited by Anubistraveler; 26 August 2006, 07:17 PM.

First off, the Scfi Pictures movies.....TERRIBLE.

Who wants to be a superhero? well...basically its a bunch of geeks who got beet up so bad in high school, that they are doing this crappy show to feel good.

Wrestling? on sci fi? come on, get serious.

Anyone who gives me green is sexy, wanna be sexy? Give me Green! Woopie!

CLICK THE PIC!

Comment

Originally posted by Major Gambit

Who wants to be a superhero? well...basically its a bunch of geeks who got beet up so bad in high school, that they are doing this crappy show to feel good.

The movies will never change in quality, sadly.

That show is horrible. It'll probably get another season though, watch.

Wrestling! Don't even get me started there. Plus, they're airing more. This Monday, they're airing RAW live.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I could never understand why SciFi doesn't do what other stations do, play "various" shows. Typically, you see the same show over and over and over.

Lets face it, X-Files is getting old, Proof-Positive was an awful version of in search off, Buck Rogers was only good for the 100th time it was played this summer and the same goes for the original night stalker, amazing stories is not bad if the same ones weren't shown over and over, and the movies well, you all know they are...no words can describe them.

Why can't they show all the shows they have the rights to play. They seem to ignore most of their library. Sadly, the network affiliates by me show better scifi late at night on Sundays then SciFi channel does during the week.
        "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
        The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

It isn't just the SFC. Just look at the other cable networks. Lot of shows on those networks are just "Must Miss TV".

The el cheapo flicks the SFC commissions are a throwback to Universal's roots, when they pumped out "B" movies like crazy for the 30's and 40's Saturday matinees and later for the 50's and 60's weekend Drive-In crowd. Then every so often they find a jewel and turn it into a franchise or it becomes a classic. With budgets running from 1-2 million, what kind of movie does one expect from that amount? That being said, those "B" movies have been a ratings success for the SFC on a night (Saturday) considered a graveyard and has given unknown directors, writers, and producers an avenue to showcase their talents. As long as the ratings are there, more "B" movies will be produced and aired.

Lifetime channel as well as other cable networks used the same formula and we aren't complaining about them.

Personally, I would like to see at least one classic scifi night. With all the properties the SFC either owns or has the rights to, episodes could be aired in order as if they were 1st run episodes. They have B5 (which hasn't been seen even on the daytime rotation and is just sitting there), Highlander, Friday the 13th: The Series, The Prisoner, Hercules (not sure if they have Xena), etc etc.

Or revive Universal TV's Action Pack. They used to make 2 hour movies and rotate the series each week. Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, TekWar, Vanishing Son, etc were all part of the rotation. I remember fans of those series/movies waiting impatiently for their show to air again and marking their calendars so they wouldn't miss the showing.

The SFC used to air Anime movies and series, like Akira, Gall Force, and Project A-ko to name a few. The majority demographics for anime is the coveted 18-49 age group. Why not show the popular Inuyasha, Ghost in the Shell, or Naruto movies? Those anime have a large and rabid fanbase and were popular on college campuses before they were even licenced to air in the U.S. Since the "B" movies are aired in the 9pm (ET/PT) timeslot... language, violence, and sexual situations/scenes wouldn't have to be edited out/censored. It's a matter if the "English Dub" butchers the original lines or translation, but "most" dubs are decent. I find it funny that in Japan, many anime are shown in the 7-7:30 pm time slot while in the U.S. those same anime would have to be shown later because of the content or language. Go figure.
          It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by RedGuard
            I could never understand why SciFi doesn't do what other stations do, play "various" shows. Typically, you see the same show over and over and over.

Lets face it, X-Files is getting old, Proof-Positive was an awful version of in search off, Buck Rogers was only good for the 100th time it was played this summer and the same goes for the original night stalker, amazing stories is not bad if the same ones weren't shown over and over, and the movies well, you all know they are...no words can describe them.

Why can't they show all the shows they have the rights to play. They seem to ignore most of their library. Sadly, the network affiliates by me show better scifi late at night on Sundays then SciFi channel does during the week.

I wish they would show sliders more often. I agree they ignore much of their library. I would guess ratings has something to do with it though. New shows tend to bring in ratings. However, as of late new shows like Who wants to be a superhero fail to be remotely entertaining. I wonder who actually watches that crap....and wrestling is not scifi so it should be on another network.

Comment

By this time next year, Sci-fi will be no more.

You can quote me on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi
                Lifetime channel as well as other cable networks used the same formula and we aren't complaining about them.
                Lifetime hasn't really deviated from its formula. It is still the twenty-four-hour-wife-beating-baby-snatching-Valerie Bertinelli-Melissa Gilbert-network. Its fanbase would probably be upset if it started airing Monday Night Football.

Comment

Originally posted by kisstian
                  Lifetime hasn't really deviated from its formula. It is still the twenty-four-hour-wife-beating-baby-snatching-Valerie Bertinelli-Melissa Gilbert-network. Its fanbase would probably be upset if it started airing Monday Night Football.

Well you know now they will air new reality shows on scifi since Stan Lee has paved the way......How about Space world....see what really happens when 7 strangers go to space and try to live in a space station for 4 months.....prediction...haha.

Comment

I've been waiting for Sci Fi to not be Sci Fi for awhile now. I used to absolutely adore it, but it started a downward slope a couple years ago. I swear, the only thing that's keeping it from being completely anti-Sci fi is BSG because it's their little baby. ((Not that I hate BSG, but they give it such special treatment over every other show... at least they used to))
                    Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                    RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by Anubistraveler
                      Well you know now they will air new reality shows on scifi since Stan Lee has paved the way......How about Space world....see what really happens when 7 strangers go to space and try to live in a space station for 4 months.....prediction...haha.
                      Pretty funny. The whole vote-off aspect would be taken to the next level. You know? I did acually like Mad Mad House. I'm not a huge reality series buff but it entertained me, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Gambit

I agree for the most part but some of their "Original" Sci-Fi movies can be good, its rare though. And wrestling....its just stupid to have it on SCI-FI.
                        sigpic
                        "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                        DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by kisstian
                          Pretty funny. The whole vote-off aspect would be taken to the next level. You know? I did acually like Mad Mad House. I'm not a huge reality series buff but it entertained me, at least.

Reality tv is never interesting to watch, but stan lee has brought it to a new low. I have much respect for his comics, but no respect for this current show.

I wish that Scifi would do another Dune mini series...they would wise to continue the story of fiction. Also I do not know what others think, but I do not consider Dark Angel to be scifi....

Yes high budget special effects would cost the network more money, but I bet their audience would pay more attention and watch the network for more then 1-3 shows.

Comment

Did anyone see Stan Lee's Lightspeed...if that is his idea for a movie, then we are all in trouble. As for his series, it's interesting because, it seems fake. As for Lifetime, at least people (women) watch it. My mother and sister will watch a movie with no problem. As for me and watching SciFi, I kind of cringe before looking in the guide to see what movie is on for Saturday night. Where is all the good movies (Last Starfighter, Monster Squad, Body Snatchers--original only, When two Worlds Collide...)
                            "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                            The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

You know what I miss? Mystery Science Theater! They used to show it all the time then it was just Saturday morning and I woke up early just to watch it. Then one week it was just off the air all together and I think one of their horrible movies was on... minus the mocking.
                              Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                              RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Working...
                              X