PDA

View Full Version : Anime

angsty_otaku
May 1st, 2004, 11:38 AM
so...typically...sci-fi fans like anime and vice versa...any big anime fans in here (besides myself)? oh yeah...and manga too...good times...a good way to blow of money >.<
my faves include (not in any order):
cowboy bebop
azumanga daioh
.hack sign
.hack dusk
fruits basket
angelic layer
chobits
hikaru no go
digimon >.<
FF UNlimited
record of lodoss wars
vampire hunter D
love hina
grave of the fireflies
ah my goddess
gundam wing
gundam seed
card captor sakura
fushigi yugi
marmalade boy
maison ikkoku
neon genesis evangelion
the slayers
kenshin
urusei yatsura
...and a lot more...

Penance
May 1st, 2004, 01:08 PM
i enjoy it...

whats .hack//dusk?

angsty_otaku
May 2nd, 2004, 07:57 AM
.hack//dusk legend of the twilight's bracelet is not really a sequel to .hack//sign...but it does take place after it...

" Shugo and Rena are siblings who were separated when their parents recently divorced. Even though they don't live together anymore, Rena has the perfect solution: they can spend time together in the online game The World. Shugo and Rena are the winners of a prize campaign, receiving the character designs of the renowned players Kite and BlackRose. Like those heroes of legend, Shugo and Rena's true adventure in The World begins when they meet the mysterious girl, Aura. " from animeacademy.com summary by Madoka

it's a quality show...less episodes than .hack//sign and it feels a lot lighter, but underneath it there is a great serious story line...check it out... :)

Alexeil
May 3rd, 2004, 03:42 PM
I'm very into anime and manga as well. Always fun to see people with mutiple similiar interests. :D

Current favs include: Hellsing, Blade of the Immortal, Angel Sanctuary, Demon Ororon, X/1999, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, and Flame of Recca.

Izanami
May 4th, 2004, 12:47 AM
haven't watched any anime for a long time lol, my personal favourite is still NGE though...

Hostile
May 4th, 2004, 01:55 AM
You gotta love Hellsing, of-course. It's the anime that reaches everyone. Also, Trigun, FLCL, Evangelion (WAAAAH MY HEAD JESUS MY HEAD), Ghost In The Shell and Naruto.

ok ok, and Dragonball Z. I confess.

QunStrudel
May 4th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I guess I fall into the Sci-Fi & Anime fan club, though I just started really getting into anime about a year ago. I'd have to say my favorite anime is Cowboy Bebop. I also like Trigun, Inuyasha, and Crest of the Stars (my choices are limited to what is shown on cable here in the US).

QunStrudel <><

DUDE
May 4th, 2004, 06:51 PM
i never liked anime. iv glanced at acouple .. and watched some pokemon .. if that ever counts..lol. i just never got into it id rather just sit aorund and watch stargate,familyguy,and futurma off my tivo (i love that thing). some of my friends have it and il just pick it up and speedread someof it but iv never become hooked. (sept for the pokemon thing.. i still hav elike 8000 cards.hehehe) o well .. i dont rely think is all vice versa becasue alot of the ppl i know who read anime hate most scifi. weird

latas

Penance
May 5th, 2004, 12:03 AM
read anime as in reading manga?

nugglebugget
May 20th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Both my sons are into alot of the shows on TV {they preferred Digimon over Pokemon,btw}.I admit I get a kick out of a lot of it.
My younger son[11] draws alot & he's got several books on drawing in this genre.He's pretty good ,too.

I do have a question,though.What is the difference between "anime" & "manga"? I'm thinking anime deals with the film medium & manga deals with what's on paper such as books & magazines.Am I correct?

petzke_42
May 20th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I'm very into anime and manga as well. Always fun to see people with mutiple similiar interests. :D

Current favs include: Hellsing, Blade of the Immortal, Angel Sanctuary, Demon Ororon, X/1999, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, and Flame of Recca.

That Vampire Hunter D is good watchin'.

angsty_otaku
May 21st, 2004, 05:22 AM
I do have a question,though.What is the difference between "anime" & "manga"? I'm thinking anime deals with the film medium & manga deals with what's on paper such as books & magazines.Am I correct?

you've got it

Jane
May 23rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
I love to draw manga and anime, i watched alot of anime but not anymore. One of my fav films is anime(Spirited Away). :)

nugglebugget
May 24th, 2004, 06:39 AM
I've got another question.What is it that defines "anime/manga" from other "cartoon" forms?What is it that makes it "anime/manga"?

Has anyone seen the new cartoon on the "cartoon network" called "Megas XLR"?I watch it with my sons & get a kick out of the way they poke at cartoon cliche's & other shows.Last night they had fun with across between "Power Rangers" & "Battle of the Planets".It's also gone after fight promoters portraying that character as a "big head" & tiny limbs.
Btw,David DeLuise[Pete Shanahan] does the voice of "Coop",the lead character.:)

Aphrodite
May 24th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Love Anime and Manga. I'm a cartoon freak!:D
Watched: Yu-gi-oh! Dragon Ball/GT, Bayblade, Sailor Moon, Neon Genesis, Street Fighter the Movie and the Series, AstroBoy, and for the classics Voltron: Defender of the Universe, Voltes5, He-Man, She-Ra, Thundercats, and oh so many more....just can't remember them right now. Gosh, goes to show my age...hehehe..:p

petzke_42
May 24th, 2004, 11:55 AM
I've got another question.What is it that defines "anime/manga" from other "cartoon" forms?What is it that makes it "anime/manga"?

Has anyone seen the new cartoon on the "cartoon network" called "Megas XLR"?I watch it with my sons & get a kick out of the way they poke at cartoon cliche's & other shows.Last night they had fun with across between "Power Rangers" & "Battle of the Planets".It's also gone after fight promoters portraying that character as a "big head" & tiny limbs.
Btw,David DeLuise[Pete Shanahan] does the voice of "Coop",the lead character.:)

Anime and Manga are two different things, however Anime/Manga is PROBABLY, anime based off of manga, such as......Fooly Cooly, I think that's based off of manga if I am remembering correctly.

I wanted to see XLR, but I can never seem to catch it when it's on. I read about it on animation insider (http://www.animationinsider.net) , and it seemed like it would be very entertaining.

angsty_otaku
May 24th, 2004, 01:39 PM
most anime is based off manga...there are only a few exceptions to that rule where manga is based off anime that is out there. i guess the real difference b/w anime and "cartoons" is that anime is made in the asian countries and have a certain look to them that other countries can't replicate...>.<

USS Thunderchild
May 24th, 2004, 01:44 PM
I remember watching Blue Marine No. 5 (I think that's the name) which was great, utilizing CGI and anime. I also used to watch the original Gundam a little, Princess Mononoke was great and the Animatrix. Other than those, it's not really my bag.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force anyone?

Phil

angsty_otaku
May 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM
blue submarine no. 5 :-) quality

KokiriChild
May 27th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Love Hina! Gravitation! Man I'm such a girl! (last was a statement, not an anime;))

iwannabeLexa
May 27th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Is Hamtaro Anime? Seriously, I don't know anything about this term, other than I see it related to a lot of sci-fi forums..but I am getting a great education from all of your posts! My family watches a lot of cartoons, but having a 4 yr old, we mostly watch Nickelodeon cartoons like Spongebob Squarepants and such.. but she does like to watch Hamtaro and I was wondering if that fell into this category.. we also love Speed Racer. I hope I didn't sound too naive in this post!

Ugly Pig
May 28th, 2004, 05:11 PM
It's very simple:
Anime = Japanese animation.
Manga = Japanese comics/"graphic novels".

nugglebugget
May 29th, 2004, 10:19 AM
It's very simple:
Anime = Japanese animation.
Manga = Japanese comics/"graphic novels".
I understand the difference between Anime & manga now.I basically was wondering about the difference betwen that particular art form as opposed to other artistic styles.I know the artform originated in Japan,but is there a set of "technical" guidelines as to,say,character depictions & representations{i.e,large eyes,tiny nose &mouth}?
I mean I've seen some cartoons with a lot of "oriental"names in the credits,yet, they didn't quite strike me as looking like the usual anime I've seen.Particular show names escape me at the moment{figures:rolleyes: }.
Or is it a simple matter of where it's produced?Sorry to be a pain,but I find this artform facinating.Thanks!:)

shinyredpants
May 29th, 2004, 11:09 AM
i'm such an anime fan its rediculous...i've been into anime for almost 10 years now. in fact i'm a japanese major as well. my interests in anime have dwindled and my interest for the past 6 years is in japanese music...

but i still love anime...here are my favorites:

Tonari no totoro (my neighbor totoro)
Bubblegum crisis (the new one, not the old one!)
Fruits Basket
Marmalade Boy
haibane renmei
lain
last exile
cowboy bebop
tenchi muyo
sen to chihiro no kamikakushii (spirited away)

i've seen like over 2000 titles..my ex boyfriend worked for AIC (they made tenchi muyo and el hazard)

i also loove manga..but i only read my manga in japanese so you may or may not know these titles:

hanazakari no kimitachi e
eroica

there's others but i could make this list three miles long...

KokiriChild
May 30th, 2004, 12:48 AM
sen to chihiro no kamikakushii is the best Miyazaki film so far I think! I have the Studio Ghibli box set and am slowley working my way through them!

angsty_otaku
May 30th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Is Hamtaro Anime? Seriously, I don't know anything about this term, other than I see it related to a lot of sci-fi forums..but I am getting a great education from all of your posts! My family watches a lot of cartoons, but having a 4 yr old, we mostly watch Nickelodeon cartoons like Spongebob Squarepants and such.. but she does like to watch Hamtaro and I was wondering if that fell into this category.. we also love Speed Racer. I hope I didn't sound too naive in this post!

yeah hamtaro is anime. just like our tv shows here in the us, there is anime for adults, inbetweeners, children, and toddlers. hamtaro is aimed towards toddlers/children.

you don't sound naive at all :-)

Ugly Pig
May 30th, 2004, 03:05 PM
I understand the difference between Anime & manga now.I basically was wondering about the difference betwen that particular art form as opposed to other artistic styles.I know the artform originated in Japan,but is there a set of "technical" guidelines as to,say,character depictions & representations{i.e,large eyes,tiny nose &mouth}?
While those kinds of character designs are very common, they are not 'requirements' for anime/manga. If it's Japanese and it's a comic, it's manga.

shinyredpants
May 30th, 2004, 05:47 PM
sen to chihiro no kamikakushii is the best Miyazaki film so far I think! I have the Studio Ghibli box set and am slowley working my way through them!
I love that one too. That and Totoro are my two favorites. When i was in Japan, i almost bought an 800 dollar 6 foot totoro...

i have no idea how i would have gotten that home though

KokiriChild
May 31st, 2004, 03:16 AM
I love that one too. That and Totoro are my two favorites. When i was in Japan, i almost bought an 800 dollar 6 foot totoro...

i have no idea how i would have gotten that home though
Oh My Flippin Heck! (If only I had $800)

shinyredpants
May 31st, 2004, 11:58 AM
Oh My Flippin Heck! (If only I had $800)
well..i had the money at the time...

just no way to get it back home heehee

though i'm glad i didnt get it, because i have no room for it at home either, and it would be a pain to carry around!

KokiriChild
May 31st, 2004, 03:58 PM
It'd've needed it's own aeroplane seat!

Damn my English... multiple contractions... not in a "giving birth" sorta way.

QueenKale
January 12th, 2005, 04:21 PM
A bit of a BUMP for a somewhat old topic....

I'm a fan of pretty much the more popular animes:
Dragonball Z (Hostile, it's nothing to be ashamed of, it's an anime classic)
Dragonball
InuYasha
Rurouni Kenshin
Gundam Wing
Witch Hunter Robin
Miyazaki Movies: Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away

Qtyled
January 12th, 2005, 10:40 PM
I don't watch much, but I really like Cowboy Bebop. It's good for people who havent seen much before. I have also seen some of Neon Genesis Evangellion and Trigun.

Ugly Pig
January 13th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Well, I don't watch a lot of anime, but I've seen enough to have a personal top-five:

1. GTO - Onizuka is simply the single coolest fictional character, ever. There's a lot to like about the anime in general, but sadly it pales in comparison to the manga series it was based on (plus it ends halfway through the story and tries to make up for it with a rushed tacked-on "ending" which is not from the original story and leaves a lot of plot threads left hanging). Aside from that, I love it. If I'd never read the manga I wouldn't really have an issue with the anime version at all, I think.

2. Figure 17 - I won't recommend this to everyone, simply because I know a lot of people will probably be bored out of their minds. Me, I love its leisurely pace and subtly progressing character development. Also, the action sequences, while never really the focus of the story, get pretty cool (and tense!) towards the end of the series. It's got great music, too.

3. Azumanga Daioh - Because it's hilarious. In an extremely weird way. But then, I'm kinda weird. Never really cared for the opening song, though.

4. Kare Kano (aka. His and Her Circumstances) - This would've made it higher up on my list, if the second half of the series had kept up the quality of the first half. It's got a great atmosphere, likeable characters and a storyline which keeps you watching. Oh... and great music. It's just so unbelievably frustrating that the second half of the series is not up to par. Not only is there an overall drop in quality, but - what the £¤%!! is up with the constant re-capping??!! A series only 26 episodes long does not need a clip show! And certainly not after only 13 freakin' episodes! And most certainly not a clip show that is comprised of 100% clips with no new material what so ever!! And especially when this goes on for not just one, but one episode and a half!!! And especially when there already is a lengthy, extremely excessive re-cap of the entire story thus far at the beginning of every stinkin' episode!!!! ...ahem... I did mention that I actually like this show somewhere in there, didn't I? :o

5. Grave of the Fireflies - This probably deserves to be on top of the list, but since it's a list of my personal favorites rather than a "all-time best" list, it will never get there for the simple reason that I can probably never watch the whole film through again. I've seen it twice (once before and once after I bought the DVD), and the feeling it left me with, both times, is not exactly something to be described as "pleasant". To put it mildly. But it is a great film.

Now... Why I am even typing this stuff up? Who's gonna care, ever? Answer: I'm bored. :D

gramaton_cleric
January 14th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Anime Kicks A$$ :D
Cowboy Bebop
Rouroni Kenshin
Wing Gundam Report ( Gundam Wing )
Berserk
Full Metal Panic
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Naruto
Yu Yu Hakusho
Initial D
Escaflowne
Trigun
Neon Genesis Evangeleon
Macross
Witch Hunter Robin
Gungrave
Gunsmith Cats
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the shell: Stand Alone Complex
Noir
Dragonball, Z, GT, all movies
Gunslinger Girls
Akira
Blue Sub No. 6
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
.hack//
Kaze no Yojimbo
Mezo Forte
Kite
Sailor Moon
Peace Maker
Hellsing
WeiB Kreuz
Steel Angel Kurumi
FLCL
Tenchi Muyo

And probably more that I can't remember right now :D

lord-anubis
January 15th, 2005, 03:25 PM
i watch anime

these are some of my fav

dragon ball z
cowboy bebop
inuyasha

Exiled Master
March 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Reason (http://exterminatusnow.comicgenesis.com/d/20060217.html) why DBZ is good in fight scenes, but bad everywhere else. I don't think I need anything more.

Seastallion
May 19th, 2006, 06:54 AM
I like Dragonball Z, but Naruto is my favorite. :)

rarocks24
May 19th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I like Gundam Wing, Blue Sub 6, Tenchi series, but I haven't watched any Japanese anime since well, eighth grade.

ToasterOnFire
May 19th, 2006, 10:04 AM
If you have not yet seen Eureka 7, WATCH IT NOW! It was animated by the same studio that did FMA and Scrapped Princess, so the animation is top notch. It has the basic plot of young boy meets all-powerful mecha (that...surfs on air), but there's also a cast of interesting characters, great music, and yet another slowly unraveling, mysterious/evil military plotline that makes it an excellent anime. Haven't finished it though - only on ep 33 - so I don't know if the ending will be as strong as the rest of the series.

It's currently airing on adult swim on Cartoon Network, I think on Saturday nights.

Dark Falcon
June 1st, 2006, 05:44 PM
I'm an anime fan as well. If a good anime is on TV, I'm
definitely going to watch it! Some of the anime
that is listed is anime I have not seen but I might
check it out in the future.

***ANIME***

Airbats 801 TTS
Blue Gender :jack_new_anime25:
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 :cameron: :D
Cowboy Bebop
Divergence Eve
Fullmetal Alchemist
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Outlaw Star
Tenchi Muyo (OAV)

thorshammer
July 27th, 2006, 07:52 AM
I like anime too but not as much as some people here. The anime I've watched and liked are Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, G Gundam, Full Metal Alchemist, Samurai X, Yu Yu Hakucho. I alse read the Naruto and Bleach manga. :cool:

PG15
July 27th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Hey guys, I got a question. I'm not exactly an anime fan, but there's this show that I watched when I was younger that's, well, a damn good childhood memory. The problem is I don't know its English name.

Anyway, the story is about this young guy who creates a Gundam-suit-type thing out of clay, and some magic people turns it into a real Gundam-suit-type robot for a mission that the young guy is sent on.

The mission is this: there's a 7-levelled mountain nearby that's surrounded by a rainbow and it has been corrupted by evil dudes, and the young man's mission is to, obviously, defeat the evil dudes. Now, the main evil villain controls 6 evil henchmen who then control the lower 6 levels of the mountain, with the main evil dude controlling the 7th.

Each episode basically has our young hero, aided by a flamboyant girl and a gruff country man with a big chin, walking into a certain village on the mountain that's being terrorized by the henchmen of the leader of that level of the moutain. In order to defeat the henchmen, the young guy must summon his gundam-type robot with his sword, and save the day.

The chinese title translated into english word-for-word roughly says "Magic Dragon Fighter" or some such.

So...anybody know what I'm talking about?