Anime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nugglebugget
    I've got another question.What is it that defines "anime/manga" from other "cartoon" forms?What is it that makes it "anime/manga"?

Has anyone seen the new cartoon on the "cartoon network" called "Megas XLR"?I watch it with my sons & get a kick out of the way they poke at cartoon cliche's & other shows.Last night they had fun with across between "Power Rangers" & "Battle of the Planets".It's also gone after fight promoters portraying that character as a "big head" & tiny limbs.
    Btw,David DeLuise[Pete Shanahan] does the voice of "Coop",the lead character.
    Anime and Manga are two different things, however Anime/Manga is PROBABLY, anime based off of manga, such as......Fooly Cooly, I think that's based off of manga if I am remembering correctly.

I wanted to see XLR, but I can never seem to catch it when it's on. I read about it on animation insider , and it seemed like it would be very entertaining.
    "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

most anime is based off manga...there are only a few exceptions to that rule where manga is based off anime that is out there. i guess the real difference b/w anime and "cartoons" is that anime is made in the asian countries and have a certain look to them that other countries can't replicate...>.<
      My flickr photography.

Comment

I remember watching Blue Marine No. 5 (I think that's the name) which was great, utilizing CGI and anime. I also used to watch the original Gundam a little, Princess Mononoke was great and the Animatrix. Other than those, it's not really my bag.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force anyone?

Phil
        Teal'c: I believe a medical attack could be successful.
        Jack: Surgical attack Teal'c. It's called a surgical attack.

Comment

blue submarine no. 5 :-) quality
          My flickr photography.

Comment

Love Hina! Gravitation! Man I'm such a girl! (last was a statement, not an anime)

Comment

Is Hamtaro Anime? Seriously, I don't know anything about this term, other than I see it related to a lot of sci-fi forums..but I am getting a great education from all of your posts! My family watches a lot of cartoons, but having a 4 yr old, we mostly watch Nickelodeon cartoons like Spongebob Squarepants and such.. but she does like to watch Hamtaro and I was wondering if that fell into this category.. we also love Speed Racer. I hope I didn't sound too naive in this post!
              Lexa

AWW Tartersauce! - Spongebob Squarepants

Comment

I've got another question.What is it that defines "anime/manga" from other "cartoon" forms?What is it that makes it "anime/manga"?
                It's very simple:
                Anime = Japanese animation.
                Manga = Japanese comics/"graphic novels".
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                  It's very simple:
                  Anime = Japanese animation.
                  Manga = Japanese comics/"graphic novels".
                  I understand the difference between Anime & manga now.I basically was wondering about the difference betwen that particular art form as opposed to other artistic styles.I know the artform originated in Japan,but is there a set of "technical" guidelines as to,say,character depictions & representations{i.e,large eyes,tiny nose &mouth}?
                  I mean I've seen some cartoons with a lot of "oriental"names in the credits,yet, they didn't quite strike me as looking like the usual anime I've seen.Particular show names escape me at the moment{figures }.
                  Or is it a simple matter of where it's produced?Sorry to be a pain,but I find this artform facinating.Thanks!
                  nugglebugget

greetings from the "Bluegrass State"where the grass is actually green,just like everywhere else

Comment

i'm such an anime fan its rediculous...i've been into anime for almost 10 years now. in fact i'm a japanese major as well. my interests in anime have dwindled and my interest for the past 6 years is in japanese music...

but i still love anime...here are my favorites:

Tonari no totoro (my neighbor totoro)
                    Bubblegum crisis (the new one, not the old one!)
                    Fruits Basket
                    Marmalade Boy
                    haibane renmei
                    lain
                    last exile
                    cowboy bebop
                    tenchi muyo
                    sen to chihiro no kamikakushii (spirited away)

i've seen like over 2000 titles..my ex boyfriend worked for AIC (they made tenchi muyo and el hazard)

i also loove manga..but i only read my manga in japanese so you may or may not know these titles:

hanazakari no kimitachi e
                    eroica

there's others but i could make this list three miles long...

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                    Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                    Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

sen to chihiro no kamikakushii is the best Miyazaki film so far I think! I have the Studio Ghibli box set and am slowley working my way through them!

Comment

Originally posted by iwannabeLexa
                        Is Hamtaro Anime? Seriously, I don't know anything about this term, other than I see it related to a lot of sci-fi forums..but I am getting a great education from all of your posts! My family watches a lot of cartoons, but having a 4 yr old, we mostly watch Nickelodeon cartoons like Spongebob Squarepants and such.. but she does like to watch Hamtaro and I was wondering if that fell into this category.. we also love Speed Racer. I hope I didn't sound too naive in this post!
                        yeah hamtaro is anime. just like our tv shows here in the us, there is anime for adults, inbetweeners, children, and toddlers. hamtaro is aimed towards toddlers/children.

you don't sound naive at all :-)
                        My flickr photography.

Comment

I understand the difference between Anime & manga now.I basically was wondering about the difference betwen that particular art form as opposed to other artistic styles.I know the artform originated in Japan,but is there a set of "technical" guidelines as to,say,character depictions & representations{i.e,large eyes,tiny nose &mouth}?
                          While those kinds of character designs are very common, they are not 'requirements' for anime/manga. If it's Japanese and it's a comic, it's manga.
                          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by KokiriChild
                            sen to chihiro no kamikakushii is the best Miyazaki film so far I think! I have the Studio Ghibli box set and am slowley working my way through them!
                            I love that one too. That and Totoro are my two favorites. When i was in Japan, i almost bought an 800 dollar 6 foot totoro...

i have no idea how i would have gotten that home though

Comment

Originally posted by shinyredpants
                              I love that one too. That and Totoro are my two favorites. When i was in Japan, i almost bought an 800 dollar 6 foot totoro...

i have no idea how i would have gotten that home though
                              Oh My Flippin Heck! (If only I had $800)

Comment

Originally posted by KokiriChild
                                Oh My Flippin Heck! (If only I had $800)
                                well..i had the money at the time...

just no way to get it back home heehee

though i'm glad i didnt get it, because i have no room for it at home either, and it would be a pain to carry around!

Comment

Working...
                                X