PDA

View Full Version : Issac Hayes on SG1

DownFallAngel
August 17th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Isaac Hayes (South Park) will guest-star in the upcoming Stargate SG-1 two-part episode "Reckoning," along with Mel Harris (reprising the role of Oma) and Cliff Simon (as Baal). Hayes, who recently completed a role in SCI FI's upcoming two-hour film Anonymous Rex, will also guest-star in the upcoming episode "Threads," along with George Dzundza.

Source: SciFi Wire (that side bar with the quick topics and what not)

Brandie
August 17th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Nice :)

aschen
August 17th, 2004, 09:10 AM
I wonder if he's gonna make any sweet lovin to some Tok'Ra hotties! :D

Brandie
August 17th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Oh I can see it now..

Anise returns :O

shockwave
August 17th, 2004, 10:23 AM
According to sg1_spoilme Wayne Brady will also guest star on some episode:
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1_spoilme/message/12398

Brandie
August 17th, 2004, 10:24 AM
According to sg1_spoilme Wayne Brady will also guest star on some episode:
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1_spoilme/message/12398

Ok now that's just wrong...

"Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a Jaffa?"

Wass
August 17th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Could one of the people mentioned above be Anubis

morjana
August 17th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Oh, my!

Thanks for the news! That sounds like very interesting casting.

Morjana

ShadowMaat
August 17th, 2004, 12:45 PM
No offense, but I'd rather see Wayne Brady than Isaac Hayes. At least I know Wayne is nuts about Stargate. ;) He also isn't as highly known.

Why the need for "big name" stars, anyway? Stunt casting is usually a sign of desperation.

Shipperahoy
August 17th, 2004, 01:16 PM
That's awesome! I love me some Isaac Hayes. I could listen to him talk all day long. I wonder what part he's going to play? And I love Wayne Brady too but I wonder what kind of part he'd play?

ShadowMaat
August 17th, 2004, 01:30 PM
That's awesome! I love me some Isaac Hayes. I could listen to him talk all day long. I wonder what part he's going to play? And I love Wayne Brady too but I wonder what kind of part he'd play?
Maybe instead of Wallace Shawn they could get Wayne to play the inept system lord that accidentally captures SG-1... I should find where I wrote up that idea. T'would be funny. ;)

morjana
August 17th, 2004, 04:29 PM
I wonder if Teal'c will get a "theme" song out of this...

Who's the alien Jaffa warrior
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
TEAL'C!
Ya darn right!

Who is the man that would risk his neck
For his brother man?
TEAL'C!
Can you dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's danger all about?
TEAL'C!
Right On!

They say this cat Teal'c is a bad mother
SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
I'm talkin' 'bout Teal'c.
THEN WE CAN DIG IT!

He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his woman
TEAL'C!

Morjana

DownFallAngel
August 17th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Not to be a jerk and ruin the good mood of the topic, but shouldn't I have gotten a "Thanks DownFallAngel" for this info thingy on the site?

Also, were do we mail in stuff for like upcoming show titles, and actor watch and what not?

ShadowMaat
August 17th, 2004, 04:56 PM
There's the Report News (http://www.gateworld.net/news/reporter.shtml) link on the Gateworld main page.

I think actor sightings are more of a thing to be posted here, though, rather than "reported" to the site. And Morjana usually has the scoop on that stuff, posting monthly lists of upcoming appearances. But there's always the chance she'll miss something. *ducks lightningbolts aimed at her* And it's usually nice to have reminders the day before or day of the "sighting", since I tend to forget things as quickly as I'm told.

What was the question again? ;)

Teal'c
August 17th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Not to be a jerk and ruin the good mood of the topic, but shouldn't I have gotten a "Thanks DownFallAngel" for this info thingy on the site?

Also, were do we mail in stuff for like upcoming show titles, and actor watch and what not?
If you posted this before Darren did on the site, then yes :P

There's a report news link somewhere on the main page. (Which I reported the Wayne Brady thing to over 2 weeks ago :P)

Bagpuss
August 18th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Morjana already said thanks,DFA ! Thanks from me too,then.OK ?
Thanks for shockwave's link too,and Morjana for her song lyrics ! :D (grin to all!)
I'm getting old,compared to some members-I remember the original.Big sis brainwashed me into an Isaac Hayes fan many years ago. ;)

Should be very interesting seeing him and Wayne on Stargate .

ShadowMaat
August 18th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Spoilers for Threads
This Isaac will play the chef at the diner? ;)

keshou
August 18th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Spoilers for Threads
This Isaac will play the chef at the diner? ;)

Spoiler for Threads and Reckoning
So is the chef this Mike guy? My first wild guess was that Isaac might be playing Anubis. Seems like the essence of Anubis could choose to occupy any body he wants.

Anyway, Isaac Hayes is an interesting bit of casting. Raise your hand if you immediately started singing the theme song from "Shaft" when you read this post and now can't get it out of your head! :p

aschen
August 18th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Isaac Hayes doesn't look like a "Mike."

prion
August 18th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Yeah, the news of Isaac hayes was smack on the SciFi news wire page that lots of people frequent. That's where I found it before even coming here. I've noticed submitting news doesn't always get it on the site anyway...

Anyway, to me this smacks of stuntcasting. It's what Will & Grace are doing - getting in name actors to draw in an audience. That means the show has 'jumped the shark.' Which in some respects, yup, it has, but I'll watch it till it croaks.

Anthro Girl
August 18th, 2004, 08:59 AM
First of all, I don't know anything about these upcoming episodes so thank you for using spoiler space when discussing them. Thanks for those of you who already have! :)

Second, why does this "smack of stunt casting"? It isn't like they haven't had big name stars before? They've done it before: Marina Sirtis, Ronny Cox, Dwight Shultz, Michael Rooker, Saul Rubinek, Adam Baldwin, William Devane...and now Isaac Hayes and George Dzundza. Well, okay, so it isn't like Christopher Walken or Nicole Kidman are guesting (although Walken as a Goa'uld...hmmm...;)), but these are people who don't need the money or the exposure and I think it's great that they want to do Stargate! :D

Speaking of jumping the shark, Happy Days, Season 1 is due on DVD this week. ;)

ShadowMaat
August 18th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Most of the "big names" thus far have been big names in scifi. Step outside that circle and folks probably wouldn't recognise the names. But Hayes is a huge name. Normal people have heard of him. ;)

I dunno... I get a little cagey about some of the other names, too.

Anthro Girl
August 18th, 2004, 10:33 AM
I dunno...

Of the names I listed, I only associate Marina Sirtis with scifi. Not that the others haven't done scifi, but that's not what I knew them from. Adam Baldwin I remember from My Bodyguard and Full Metal Jacket, Ronny Cox from Deliverance, Dwight Shultz from The A-Team. George Dzundza is one of those faces that pops up a lot in various things. I don't watch most television, but it seems he's had a pretty steady career. He's done some real stinker B-movies, but he was great in No Way Out and Crimson Tide. William Devane has been around forever and Saul Rubinek comes from a rather extensive theater background, although I remember him from True Romance and And The Band Played On. Maybe I'm just an old fart... ;)

Maybe Isaac Hayes is more popular in wider circles because of his music and his connection to Shaft and South Park, but he's also been around forever. Maybe he's a friend of someone on the crew and he likes the show? S'kay with me! :D

ShadowMaat
August 18th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Mirina Sirtis I know from Trek, Baldwin from Firefly and Devane just from around, but I'd never heard of Ronny Cox before Stargate and I still don't know who any of the others are except that Rubinick was in Heroes.

Anthro Girl
August 18th, 2004, 12:15 PM
See? Since I don't watch series television other than Stargate, I've never even heard of Firefly and before Sirtis was on Stargate, I didn't realize she was on Trek. ;) I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

keshou
August 19th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Second, why does this "smack of stunt casting"? It isn't like they haven't had big name stars before? They've done it before: Marina Sirtis, Ronny Cox, Dwight Shultz, Michael Rooker, Saul Rubinek, Adam Baldwin, William Devane...and now Isaac Hayes and George Dzundza. Well, okay, so it isn't like Christopher Walken or Nicole Kidman are guesting (although Walken as a Goa'uld...hmmm...;)), but these are people who don't need the money or the exposure and I think it's great that they want to do Stargate! :D

I think William Devane and especially Isaac Hayes kind of fall in the stunt casting arena because they are well-known names to a LOT of TV viewers - not just scifi fans. Those names could draw in viewers who don't normally watch a scifi show. Ronny Cox and Saul Rubinek are talented actors who've been in a lot of TV shows and plays and even movies but they usually play supporting roles and most people on the street wouldn't know those names. William Devane's name or Isaac Hayes' name usually rings a bell.

I recall reading an interview with Robert Cooper just after they made the move from Showtime to Scifi. RCC said that Sci Fi really wanted to bring in some big name guest stars to promote the series. After the ratings starting coming in Scifi kind of said, "looks like it's going to do okay" and backed off on that request. I wonder if Scifi is the one pushing them to bring in the big name guest stars again?? IMO William Devane was a great guest star whether it was intended to be "stunt casting" or not. He played the part perfectly. Now Isaac Hayes, I'm going to have to wait and see....

Perhaps Scifi sees the chance to really broaden the audience for Stargate by bringing in some "names" or perhaps it's just that Stargate is now a series that gets noticed on the front page of TV Guide and the bigger name stars are more eager to play a part. Stunt casting can certainly help prop up sagging ratings for an older show but since SG-1 is getting better ratings in the 8th season than it did in the 7th I don't know if that's a factor or not.

Teal'c
August 19th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Saul Rubinek had a big part of Fraiser for a couple of seasons (The last good seasons, because when he left Niles and Daphne got together :(), Ronny Cox was in Total Recall, one of the big bad Arnie movies :P and Deliverance which is a pretty famous film (The guy did dueling banjos for cryin' out loud! :P), Shultz was big too, who hasn't seen the A-Team? And then Vanessa Angel too, she was in Kingpin and the Weird Science series... loads of big names, Isaac Hayes is no bigger IMO (OK, a little bigger :P)

prion
August 19th, 2004, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE=Anthro Girl]

QUOTE]

Wel,l um, I don't consider Trek actors to be 'big name stars' because unfortunately most have not broke away from being Trek actors. However, brnging in names that viewers can recognize (and yes, any good canadian film viewer will recognize Saul Rubinek) is a ploy to bring in ratings. It's business, pure and simple. George Dzundna isn't a name actor but a very sold character. Isaac Hayes is a singer, so that's stuntcasting. Of course, maybe they just heard his voice on South Park and liked it :p

I'd watch Chris Walken as a Goa'uld but Kidman; not sure about her acting ability as every time I see her in a flick, I don't see what the fuss is about.

prion
August 19th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Mirina Sirtis I know from Trek, Baldwin from Firefly and Devane just from around, but I'd never heard of Ronny Cox before Stargate and I still don't know who any of the others are except that Rubinick was in Heroes.

Ronny Cox is a solid character actor, and if you saw ROBCOP, you'see him in his pre-Kinsey mode as a slimy business man :eek:

Marina Sirtis is known for Trek; fraid her career before and behind Trek hasn't matched her appearance in Trek. Adam Baldwin has done a bunch of forgottable (sorry, sorry, but they are!) sci-fi flicks but has a small and very devoted fan base from FIREFLY. William Devane. Been around for ages. Loved his nuclear meltdown movie on CBS.... Rubinek is an established Canadian and author.

aschen
August 19th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Lick my salty chocolate covered Goa'ulds. :D

Selmak
August 19th, 2004, 10:06 AM
We will know if it's some kind of ratings stunt if they say "SPECIAL GUEST STAR: Isaac Hayes" in the episode preview... like they do with network sitcoms.

aschen
August 19th, 2004, 10:08 AM
No way, all white people love him!

Wass
August 19th, 2004, 10:31 AM
No way, all white people love him!

I don't understand what you mean by you message please explain

ShadowMaat
August 19th, 2004, 10:38 AM
I don't understand what you mean by you message please explain
That is Aschen's attempt at humor. The "lick me" comment is a take off of something from South Park and the second comment is an incredibly massive generalisation. I doubt you meant offense by it, Aschen, but personally I don't care to have other people giving my opinion for me.

Darren
August 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks, DownFallAngel!

Actually, I received an e-mail tip and posted the story straight-away, before seeing this thread. As I am not yet omnipresent, only those who go out of their way to report a story (before we've already published it -- you'd be surprised how many news tips I get for past GW stories) via e-mail tend to get credits on the site.

Use the "Report News" link at the top of the home page, or e-mail to webmaster@gateworld.net

shockwave
August 19th, 2004, 12:51 PM
We will know if it's some kind of ratings stunt if they say "SPECIAL GUEST STAR: Isaac Hayes" in the episode preview... like they do with network sitcoms.

In the previews for "Birthright" they also said that Jolene Blalock from Star Trek: Enterprise would guest star.

The scifi-site also said for Death Knell: guest starring Sebastian Spence
same for Heroes part 1: Adam Baldwin and Saul rubinek guest star
and part 2: Saul Rubinek and Robert Picardo guest star

aschen
August 19th, 2004, 12:57 PM
That is Aschen's attempt at humor. The "lick me" comment is a take off of something from South Park and the second comment is an incredibly massive generalisation. I doubt you meant offense by it, Aschen, but personally I don't care to have other people giving my opinion for me.
No, that was another attempt at humor. :/