This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's A Hoax-sci-fi To Surge Tv

Well...it seems that all you American folks don't need to worry about trying to hurt SCI FI in retribution for the cancellation of SG-1--they're flushing themselves down the toilet of their own free will:

SCI FI Channel to Change Name to SurgeTV

(PRWEB) August 24, 2006 -- Effective November 1, 2006, the SCI FI Channel will change their name to SurgeTV, to reflect the changing demographic thrust of the successful long-running cable channel. In addition, deals are currently working out to bring back ECW for a three-times a week run in prime time, as well as reruns (Pre-WWE) of professional wrestling events.

SurgeTV hopes to tap into the newfound audience of science fiction wrestling fans, by promoting cross-over programming, including Eureka's Colin Ferguson's guest appearance in the ECW ring, and Season 2 of Stan Lee's Who Wants To Be A Superhero to include ring matches between competitors. Saucier, racier stories will be aired after the midnight hour, and in a change for the popular channel, may include R-rated material.

While much of the original programming the SCI FI Channel has produced will remain on air through the next year, SurgeTV expects sweeping changes to the network, shifting away from the so-called "nerd" demographic. This means that SurgeTV will try to appeal to it's growing number of "extreme" viewers by removing all of it's current re-run programming and replacing it with a new "brand" - Xtreme Surge At Night. Effective November 1, 2006, SurgeTV will begin broadcasting reruns of Hogan Knows Best and original WWE programming. Filling out the early morning hours will be the ground-breaking American (English language channel) debut of Lucha Libre sporting events.

SurgeTV will continue publishing Sci Fi magazine, which will remain uneffected by the format changes taking place on air.

SurgeTV is a television network where extreme action can be found. SurgeTV fuels the adrenaline of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic wrestling programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 85 million homes, SurgeTV is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.
    Source
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 24 August 2006, 06:35 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Oh... Dear God...

Comment

Ah you gotta love it... im in Australia so know not much of how the SCI-FI channel operates. But by the sounds of it SG-1's cancellation was more then premeditated.

Comment

I cant even think of something sarcastic enough to give this news justice
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Is it just me or does that article seem almost tongue in cheek, I had to check it wasn't April 1st when I read it!

Comment

I don't even know what to say to this news. I'm laughing so hard. I guess we will not be recieving any quality sci-fi content in the US at all. Although the scene with the teen angst cast in 200 makes much more sense now because that is that type of garbage that we will be forced fed from sci-fi when this happens.

God I hope MGM ends it relationship with sci-fi now and puts SGA on another network before the morons at sci-fi destroy what little quality programming they have left.

Comment

LMAO--Oh, yeah, sci-fi is surging alright!

Well, it doesn't sound like they will be keeping any sci-fi programming in a few years.

Anyone know what it would cost to own and operate a cable channel? maybe us NERDs should get together and air our own programming--NERD TV!
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Wow, another station with wrestling and other useless shows.

Comment

The forum rules say we can't criticize the staff of the show. Fortunately, the rules don't say anything about the network. SciFi exec's: you guys are idiots. You constantly make stupid decisions and now you just frelled yourselves. I laughed when I read this. Do you honestly realize how many millions of viewers you will lose? Apparently NBC want's it's cable networks to be in last place as well...

Comment

Heres a thought, why doesnt MGM start a channel?

Comment

This is a joke, right?

Comment

I wish I was bill gates. I would make my own tv station.

I'd get futurama. then i'd get scrubs. and family guy. then I'd get reruns of seinfield. then i'd go and get stargate, and atlantis, and st:tos, and tng and voy and DS9, then buy back g4 and put tech tv back to what it used to be then i'd go the white house and yarggggggghhhhhhhhh!

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by betjam
                          This is a joke, right?
                          No it's not... but it all starts to make sense now... SCI-FI are nutjobs!

What other explanation can you give to cancelling a show BEFORE the 200th episode PARTY!!!

IDIOTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Gate_traveler
                            Heres a thought, why doesnt MGM start a channel?

Oh, I like that idea. Perhaps we should pettition MGM to start a sci-fi channel. If there is enough demand for it, some other network should show some intrest.

The Star-Gate channel? The Sci- Fi & Fantasy channel?

I would avoid naming it--the fantasy channel...sound too muach like the playboy channel.
                            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Now I'm REALLY mad.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Working...
                              X