This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does this mean to you

"If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago" Monk at Keb

I have seen this debated on lots of sites would be interested to know what
    readers and writers on here think the phase means.And BTW my favorite epi is "Urgo"

Originally posted by becauseitissoclear
    "If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago" Monk at Keb

readers and writers on here think the phase means.And BTW my favorite epi is "Urgo"
    I take it as meaning not to take things at face value. Instead of looking at the candle and realize it is fire, look beyond that and see the light ie Ascension. P.S I love Urgo too!
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I think it's to do with recognising the power and the potential of fire.

Once humanity grasped the concept of fire, we moved on in leaps and bounds, as we were able to do lots of new things, including, for example, cooking food.
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

If you know something its been there for a while????? I DON'T KNOW!!!!
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
          I think it's to do with recognising the power and the potential of fire.

Once humanity grasped the concept of fire, we moved on in leaps and bounds, as we were able to do lots of new things, including, for example, cooking food.
          I think it really has to do with potential period, the fire is just a metaphor.

Comment

I've always interpreted it as:
            "Rushing is not good. If you immediately know the answer, you will not have gone through the process of searching for the answer and hence, might have missed out on the details."

Comment

It means exactly what you think it means. It is a retoricle question.

Is the class half full or half empty.

It is all in how you percieve it. It's like reading the bible. Everything means something different to someone else. It's all in hows interpriting it.

To me it means i am in big fraking trouble and my misses is going to kick my butt for missing a great enening she had planned that I would have liked but now Ihave to hear about how great it was instead of living it.
              *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
              *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
              *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
              *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
              *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
              *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
              *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                I think it really has to do with potential period, the fire is just a metaphor.
                I've got a blind spot with seeing metaphors...so thanks for pointing it out...it does make sense
                sigpic
                Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Edit #2

No, wait, I do think it's a Zen koan. I'm looking at the transcript and here it says this:

DANIEL

Jack, he’s speaking in his in cones.
                  Whatever theology he follows maybe an
                  original basis for Buddhism on earth.

Of course, "his in cones" makes zero sense. I'm willing to wager that the transcript is wrong and Daniel says, "He's speaking in Zen koans". So the statement actually has no rational meaning. The purpose of Zen koans is to prepare the student for enlightenment by causing him to discard rational thought and achieve enlightenment. That fits with the ascension motif nicely.

Yes! And when Daniel says the same statement to RepliCarter she tries to momentarily understand it, and Daniel says to her, "You're trying to understand it, aren't you?" because RepliCarter (being a machine) cannot think outside the rational box. Eureka!

That's my take on it, anyway.
                  Last edited by The Dude; 25 August 2006, 02:29 AM.
                  They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

Comment

I believe it is akin to Socrates's "The only truth is in knowing that you know nothing"
                    McKay:...ZedPM
                    O'Neill: Zed?
                    Jackson: He's Canadian
                    O'Neill: I'm sorry

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                      I've got a blind spot with seeing metaphors...so thanks for pointing it out...it does make sense
                      Thats ok sometimes I can't see whats right infront of me.

Comment

It's not about just knowing the answer, but how you arrive at it. For example if you immediately know that 2 plus 2 is 4, does that really mean anything? The real answer is the answer of how. How did you get 4, or better, how is the fire created, and how does it sustain itself?
                        You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

to me it means that if you recognize something immediately, then you've probably had experience(s) with it before and you might have used it to its full/near-full potential.
                          In ascension terms, if you see an ascended being and you know that it is an ascended being, then you have learned about it before and possibly tried ascending yourself(using it to its near-full potential)

Comment

Originally posted by ablevins425
                            It's not about just knowing the answer, but how you arrive at it. For example if you immediately know that 2 plus 2 is 4, does that really mean anything? The real answer is the answer of how. How did you get 4, or better, how is the fire created, and how does it sustain itself?
                            You hit the nail right on the head.

Comment

Working...
                            X