This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Various News Articles regrding StarGate Cancellation and Contracts

As part of an in-depth interview with TV Guide magazine, Stargate SG-1 exec producer, Brad Wright, reveals that while Sci Fi Channel may have announced the series' end after its 10th season wraps up, the show might go on. Promising "a very satisfying end to the season," Wright tells us that the finale is "not necessarily an end to SG-1 by any means."

Full article here:

http://community.tvguide.com/forum.j...umID=700000044

Another article on TVGuide Insider linked from above article

While Stargate SG-1 fans are already gathering signatures to petition Sci Fi Channel to pull a 7th Heaven move and un-cancel the veteran series, it probably ain't going to happen, folks. However, there are some signs of life in the show and it's not just the MMO (massive multiplayer online) game that is due out in the fourth quarter of 2007 and that MGM, which owns the Stargate franchise, is sinking $40-50 million into. While executive producer Brad Wright tells TV Guide his "dream is to take SG-1 back to the feature it began as," we are now hearing that MGM may produce a series of TV-movies based on the mother-ship series.

Full article here.
    Last edited by Darren; 23 August 2006, 01:03 PM.

A series of TV-based movies makes a lot more sense to me than either:
    1) continuing a 10-year old expensive series on another network or
    2) a theatrical film (didn't work too well for Firefly)

Even RDA might be available to participate in some TV-based movies.

I was kind of hoping for the miniseries approach as I think that gives you more room for meaty story arcs and character development but TV movies could work. That also gives them a platform to launch another spin-off series.

So I hope that's the direction they go - and that the break will give them time to come up with some really creative ideas to flesh them out. Sounds like Scifi would still be a candidate to air them.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I like the sound of this. I for one, all things considered, am glad SG-1 is coming to an end (of sorts) now. I love the show and I love the direction the show is going now but Michael Shanks had said recently that he had not signed on, at that time, for season 11 and it sounded as if he wasn't planning on doing so. Personally I wouldn't want the show to continue without him. It's one thing to lose Daniel or O'Neill but for both of them to be gone from the series is too much and I don't see how you could continue the Ori storyline without Daniel. There's also the danger of running the show into the ground for the sake of profits and at the expense of quality (The X-Files, and to a much great extent, The Simpsons). So as I said, I'm glad the series is going out while it's still strong but it still gets to continue in another format.

A feature movie to wrap everything up would be awesome but I actually prefer the sound of a series of TV Movies. That way we get more SG-1. The writers would have more time to wrap everything up in a satisfactory way and I would assume RDA would be around every now and then until it ends.
      'Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the end of it too?' - Douglas Adams

Comment

Yeah, the TV movie idea sounds neat.

Comment

I am all for the idea of a tv-movie(s), much more so than a one-time big screen version (which seems very unlikely to me). However, I would not be surprised by the announcement of another spinoff with a new, much younger cast.

I would prefer anything that reunites the original SG-1 (plus the latest add-ons) over a new crew, though.

Comment

Direct to video might be a way to go. Why give Sci-Fi a chance to make more money of SG

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat

I would prefer anything that reunites the original SG-1 (plus the latest add-ons) over a new crew, though.
              Me too.
              I hope we will get to see more of Cam, Vala, and the rest of SG-1 in a future series.

Comment

People bash me but this is what I wanted. I wanted SG-1 to finally end and then just make some TV movies or something. I do not understand how people thought it might go to another network when for years they said even if the show ends they would make movies.

Hopefully they kill off the Ori and do something creative. Make Sam in command of SG-1 like it should be and kill off the new guy, I hate him.

Comment

Big Budget films take YEARS to make. I'd rather see something on TV, preferably a new series.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

According to this article, that was posted in the cancellation thread. It appears at least to me, that TPTB will continue on as mini-series or movies and they are planning a third series or companion to Atlantis.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...d0681d9&k=3150

Comment

Eh...I guess it's alright, but only if they make 10 2-hour TV movies.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                        Eh...I guess it's alright, but only if they make 10 2-hour TV movies.
                        That's what I'm talking about.

Seriously though, something is better than nothing. I just don't want SG-1 to be totally over just yet. I think there are still good stories left to tell.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Didn't they say last year when SG-1 ends they would do movies? Yes. Also in that article they said that a third series was already being planned. Maybe they canceled SG-1 because of ratings and cost and will do the movie thing with it. Then in a year or so do a "new" (Hopefully this time it will be new unlike what Atlantis is.) show. I don't see what the issue or problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative
                            According to this article, that was posted in the cancellation thread. It appears at least to me, that TPTB will continue on as mini-series or movies and they are planning a third series or companion to Atlantis.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...d0681d9&k=3150
                            Hmm... they want somethin new on the air with Atlantis in February? The only way I could see this happening in the current timeframe is to take SG1 and retool it (as they planned to do after season eight) as Stargate Command. It could be considered either a continuation of SG1 or a new show, depending on one's view (kind of like how The Practice "became" Boston Legal (or so was David E. Kelly's original concept).

Comment

Mark Stern, executive vice president of original programming for Sci Fi, said creative and economic decisions also came into play.

Stern added that under terms of its contract, the network’s decision to cancel the series prohibits MGM from making any new episodes of the show to air on U.S. television.

He noted, “If MGM came to us for less,” Sci Fi would be interested in more Stargate SG-1 fare, whether in the form of episodes, movies or miniseries. He would not disclose the network’s license fee to MGM.
                              Full Article:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...=Breaking+News

So does that mean, MGM cannot look for another Network for a season 11?

Way to go Sci-Fi, ruin the show with poor timeslot/advertising, cancel it, then prevent it from going to another place to continue?
                              Last edited by OberonSky; 23 August 2006, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X