This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt Roush - Closing the Stargate: All in the Timing

Speaking purely objectively, because I’m not invested enough in the Stargate franchise to speak passionately or emotionally (which I did back when Farscape was canceled prematurely): In the world of TV, all things (good, bad and indifferent) eventually come to an end, and few things are made better by going on indefinitely.

That said, do the Sci Fi executives get special bonuses for bad timing when it comes to delivering the bad news to their shows?

There is a worse fate than no Stargate whatsoever. And that’s a diminished Stargate.
    http://community.tvguide.com/thread....adID=800004939

Makes some good points. Especially the one about the diminished Stargate.
    Last edited by Agent_Dark; 22 August 2006, 05:16 PM.

I think the timing is good, lets the writers write an ending. PLus people would ***** if it happened before the 200th.

Comment

That only applies if you feel season 10 was "diminished stargate". I feel it has been quite good, so a season 11 is most welcome to me. It's not like selling to another station changes the writing, acting or story in any way.

I would say the producers should sell to another network for season 11, and if it begins "diminishing" then end it. But there just isn't enough time left this season to wrap up what needs wrapping up.

I can let it go, but only when the time is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Konman72
        That only applies if you feel season 10 was "diminished stargate". I feel it has been quite good, so a season 11 is most welcome to me. It's not like selling to another station changes the writing, acting or story in any way.

I would say the producers should sell to another network for season 11, and if it begins "diminishing" then end it. But there just isn't enough time left this season to wrap up what needs wrapping up.

I'd prefer to have it go before its diminshed, not after or during. If SG1 had of ended at any point during S9, I would have been dissapointed for that very reason. However, based on the quality of S10 so far, I'm happy for SG1 to go out on a high note.

Comment

Originally posted by Konman72

I agree. I have enjoyed Season 10 thus far and was looking forward to more interesting stories in Season 11.

Comment

This show wasn't diminished at all IMO. I still think we'll see more of SG-1, in one form or another.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo
              I think the timing is good, lets the writers write an ending. PLus people would ***** if it happened before the 200th.
              Well, a week or two to celebrate the 200th would have been nice! It's such a rollercoaster ride. The weekend was so optimistic with 200 then Monday's news brought me down big time. Yes, we know "all good things must come to an end" and there is always the movies, however, SG1 was just getting really good again.

I'm sorry, that's just how I feel about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo
                On the contrary - it's exactly the timing that makes this look so bad. While I was hoping for a season 11 I was being realistic and knowing it can't go on forever, which is why I'm not that upset with this cancellation. However the fact that they waited exactly til reaching the 200th episode to anounce the cancellation, rather than before, makes the whole thing feel as if they just wanted to have the "Longest Running American Science Fiction Television Show" and be done with it, i.e using Stargate for sheer publication.
                True, they're airing the show and they can do whatever they want with it - but it does leave a bad taste in the mouth.
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                  Well, a week or two to celebrate the 200th would have been nice! It's such a rollercoaster ride. The weekend was so optimistic with 200 then Monday's news brought me down big time. Yes, we know "all good things must come to an end" and there is always the movies, however, SG1 was just getting really good again.

I'm sorry, that's just how I feel about it.
                  Exactly! 200 was jam packed ( ) with everything I love about the series and then a few days later the cancellation news breaks. It's like waving candy in front of a kid and then smacking him when he grabs for it.
                  Dr. Orpheus: "But Hank, no...Hank is quite upset! Rage, I can hear his rage! He calls you a crumb bum....or maybe a crampon. It's hard to hear him." - Venture Bros., 2x01 Powerless in the Face of Death

Comment

Isn't this the man on the 200th special the other day... going on about how much he liked Stargate and how it was better than other sci-fi shows that take place in a far away future?

If so... he sure threw me for a loop! He certainly looked invested in it to me, he looked as if he had actually seen and enjoyed the show. Guess that you really can't trust anybody in Hollywood

Ace
                    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                      Isn't this the man on the 200th special the other day... going on about how much he liked Stargate and how it was better than other sci-fi shows that take place in a far away future?

If so... he sure threw me for a loop! He certainly looked invested in it to me, he looked as if he had actually seen and enjoyed the show. Guess that you really can't trust anybody in Hollywood

Ace
                      Stargate is filmed in Vancouver.
                      Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                      Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                      -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by full.infinity
                        Stargate is filmed in Vancouver.
                        I know... LOL It's an expression meant to represent the entertainment industry as a whole!

Ace
                        "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Working...
                        X