This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about direct to DVD for SG1?

SG1 could start a trend......and the audience will be directly responsible for
    the show's survival.......

Oh well........

Thanks for a great 10 years SG1 guys!!!!!
    Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Direct-to-DVD wouldn't be economically viable. They'd have to do huge cutbacks. No more special effects, etc.

Comment

Or less episodes: say 10.
      School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
        Or less episodes: say 10.
        For the same price as 20 episodes. >_>

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
          For the same price as 20 episodes. >_>
          Of course, at least that they could do for us (if they can).
          School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
            Of course, at least that they could do for us (if they can).
            The problem is that that wouldn't be economically viable either. How many fans do you think will dish out that much money for, say, 10 episodes? A lot less people than those who buy the "regular" boxes.

Comment

Direct-to-DVD wouldn't be economically viable. They'd have to do huge cutbacks. No more special effects, etc.
              Quality always sells. I have always thought shows and movies should be sold
              like books........ I'd buy a good episode of Sg1 for 40 or 50 bucks like a video game.

They could always sell the episodes in syndication later. As for CG special effects, make them on computers in countries like India or the Phillipines where the dollar is still outrageously strong.....the posiblities are there.

Shanks and Judge already started a business with the Women of Scifi Calender DVD ....with Lexa...and others.

It is a new horizon I think that can be profitable....in the future.

Network TV, and Theater movies are the past..... Cable shows are getting
              too much like Network TV in cancelling shows that have devoted audiences..

I think the selling of shows on DVD time has come.......
              Last edited by dec55; 22 August 2006, 06:42 AM.
              Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

Originally posted by dec55
                Quality always sells. I have always thought shows and movies should be sold
                like books........ I'd buy a good episode of Sg1 for 40 or 50 bucks like a video game.

They could always sell the episodes in syndication later. As for CG special effects, make them on computers in countries like India or the Phillipines where the dollar is still outrageously strong.....the posiblities are there.

Shanks and Judge already started a business with the Women of Scifi Calender DVD ....with Lexa...and others.

It is a new horizon I think that can be profitable....in the future.

Network TV, and Theater movies are the past..... Cable shows are getting
                to much like Network TV in cancelling shows that have devoted audiences..

I think the selling of shows on DVD time has come.......
                I'm talking about the bigger picture. Sure, you and I might appreciate quality. Sure, you and I love Stargate and would buy a 10 episode special box for the same price as one for 20.

But how many people do you think will? Compared to how many that would buy a 20 episode box?

Comment

I'm talking about the bigger picture. Sure, you and I might appreciate quality. Sure, you and I love Stargate and would buy a 10 episode special box for the same price as one for 20.

But how many people do you think will? Compared to how many that would buy a 20 episode box?
                  Unfortunatly not enough to justify the expenditure for TPTB.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                    Unfortunatly not enough to justify the expenditure for TPTB.
                    Exactly >_>' >_>'

Comment

The cutbacks could be on their bloated saleries, they make a ton more than ordinary people - wouldn't kill them to take less.

Comment

Going directly to DVD wouldn't hurt for me.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDuh
                          The cutbacks could be on their bloated saleries, they make a ton more than ordinary people - wouldn't kill them to take less.
                          The thing is that what it costs to make the show isn't the reason why Sci-Fi is cancelling it. MGM owns all rights to Stargate and therefore reaps all profits it garnishes in merchandising, DVD sales, etc.

All Sci-Fi gets are money advertisers pay to advertise during Stargate SG-1's commercial breaks.

MGM seems perfectly happy to be spending as much money as they are spending on the show since they are apparentely doing well on DVD and stuff.

Now, with a direct-to-DVD box, they'd have to cut back on everyone's wages, special effects, props, etc.

Comment

The thing is that what it costs to make the show isn't the reason why Sci-Fi is cancelling it. MGM owns all rights to Stargate and therefore reaps all profits it garnishes in merchandising, DVD sales, etc.

All Sci-Fi gets are money advertisers pay to advertise during Stargate SG-1's commercial breaks.

MGM seems perfectly happy to be spending as much money as they are spending on the show since they are apparentely doing well on DVD and stuff.

Now, with a direct-to-DVD box, they'd have to cut back on everyone's wages, special effects, props, etc.
                            Yeah bad idea.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                              Yeah bad idea.
                              In can be a good idea...when you put in perspective that your major outlet just canned your show.....the idea of direct to DVD is a alternative that can change things..... If SG1 the series can't find a cable outlet......straight to DVD is a viable alternative that may keep the show a float in a different form.

If MGM and Sony is willing to take the financial risk to open new territory....
                              Sg1 may open the way to revive shows that have devoted fans who will be
                              willing to pay top dollar for a beloved series......and bypass the TPTB channels altogether.

Comment

Working...
                              X