This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 200 in retrospect

Now knowing that SG-1 has been cancelled, do you feel cheated by 200 or feel that it was a worthy addition to the series?

Personally I feel like it was wasted chance to develop the Ori plot better, one more episode could make the end of the show seem much less rushed. The REAL character development of a REAL show would have been so much better. 200 would have been a welcome diversion if we had a couple of full seasons left, but now I feel like it was just a cheat, an episode stolen from us, without even any real development coming out of the sillyness.

I loved it, and I disagree with the no development comment, I think that there was bucket loads of it. We got to see the fun side of our heroes and we got to see inside their imagination and what they are thinking.

And I don't feel cheated...I think it was fantastic

And there are a few other threads about 200 with this topic being discussed.

Comment

I think it's even more meaningful now, to see the characters and the actors having fun to celebrate their 200th episode.

Comment

I feel very cheated. Now that the show has been canceled the 200th just seems like it was a waste of time.

Comment

Well, I loved 200 and like others have said, it was great to see the actors having fun.

Don't get me wrong on this next point, as I would love SG-1 to go on alot longer, however I think 200 would have been a great episode to end the show. Or a similar episode, in which the writers entertainingly tie up all the loose ends throughout the series.

I also don't think 1 episode would have been enough to signifcantly improve the Ori story arc, as I think no matter how they decide to end it, it will feel rushed. I most certainly don't feel cheated.
          An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

200 definatly furthers the main plot, it is now guaranteed that earth survives for at lest 10 more years!
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=9
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=18
            Originally posted by Jonzey
            Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

If tptb were planning on the Ori arc to last a few seasons (bangs head and cries at the idea that it could have lasted that long) I don't think one episode would have helped bring it to closer any better.
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                If tptb were planning on the Ori arc to last a few seasons (bangs head and cries at the idea that it could have lasted that long) I don't think one episode would have helped bring it to closer any better.
                This is not the poster's point. He meant that do you feel cheated knowing now that the show is ending as we just lost one episode to absolute silliness instead of Ori-centric plot-inducing stuff?

Comment

Its not even about lossing an ori plot. its about lossing any kind of plot. The 200th episode was a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin
                    Its not even about lossing an ori plot. its about lossing any kind of plot. The 200th episode was a waste of time.
                    I hated "Wormhole X-treme!" and though I liked 200 in spite of a few negative points, I feel that I was cheated out of an episode because SG-1 is now cancelled.

Had the show gone on for another one or two years, I would've really have felt cheated. But knowing now that it's been cancelled, I do!

Comment

Yes or no, depending on each individual opinion, of course. (I mean about it being a waste of time, just in case someone else posts before I finish) I just think that any one episode in this part of the season is pretty much not going to help or hurt the development of any story arc. Unless they were planning on telling everything in a linnear fashion straight through with no detours and wrapping up this season, I think this episode helps/hurts the story as much as any stand alone episode.

I guess I mean, at this juncture, a waste of an episode doesn't really affect things in the overall aspect of the show. Strictly on its merit as an episode apart from how it relates to the overall show? That's another story.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin
                        So it's more about that fact that the writers made an episode you didn't like?

Speaking as someone who enjoyed it, I don't feel like it was a waste of time.
                        An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Yes or no, depending on each individual opinion, of course. (I mean about it being a waste of time, just in case someone else posts before I finish) I just think that any one episode in this part of the season is pretty much not going to help or hurt the development of any story arc. Unless they were planning on telling everything in a linnear fashion straight through with no detours and wrapping up this season, I think this episode helps/hurts the story as much as any stand alone episode.

I guess I mean, at this juncture, a waste of an episode doesn't really affect things in the overall aspect of the show. Strictly on its merit as an episode apart from how it relates to the overall show? That's another story.
                          At least in stand-alone episodes, we get a little something to add to the story. Character development, foreshadowing, etc. A strictly humoristic episode is just that, humoristic.

And knowing that season ten is the last season, can you really say "200" could've been replaced by something else?

Comment

Well, naturally, any episode could be replaced if humans were born with the ability to tell the future. And, there's the question of whether or not you think a humorous episode is valuable just for its own sake. I just think, for me, one episode couldn't make a difference in anything. The little bit of character development that one episode could provide would just be a trickle (and more than that would seem pretty heavy handed and creaky writing) any plot development I think would be worse with less episodes, because there wouldn't be enough time to let it fit in with the show. You'd have to put in big chunks of things to make it pay off. And, again, that results in creaky, lets spit it all out, writing. In my opinion, of course. I really can't think of any arc, even a mini one that 200 could have brought to a satisfying conclusion if done differently. Maybe if there was a small storyline that had been introduced in the previous episodes, that didn't get finished, it could have been used for that.

Comment

Well, naturally, any episode could be replaced if humans were born with the ability to tell the future. And, there's the question of whether or not you think a humorous episode is valuable just for its own sake. I just think, for me, one episode couldn't make a difference in anything. The little bit of character development that one episode could provide would just be a trickle (and more than that would seem pretty heavy handed and creaky writing) any plot development I think would be worse with less episodes, because there wouldn't be enough time to let it fit in with the show. You'd have to put in big chunks of things to make it pay off. And, again, that results in creaky, lets spit it all out, writing. In my opinion, of course. I really can't think of any arc, even a mini one that 200 could have brought to a satisfying conclusion if done differently. Maybe if there was a small storyline that had been introduced in the previous episodes, that didn't get finished, it could have been used for that.
                              The original question remains:
                              Do you feel we were cheated out an en episode now that we know that season 10 will be the last.

Nothing in it had anything to do with "Are we mad at the writers for doing this episode".

Comment

Working...
                              X