Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

series' future, ratings and spoiler sites... (SPOILERS)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

series' future, ratings and spoiler sites... (SPOILERS)

now have spoiles for up to about episode 17 of season 10. if ratings suck such that there is no more season 11, given the history of 20-episode seasons, that'd give the SG-1 writers only 3-4 episodes to tie up all of the loose ends, or most of the loose ends with a few others left over for a feature film. if the ratings suck so bad it's a matter of finish-season-10-and-no-possibility-of-renewal-or-feature-film, have the writers left enough episodes up their sleeves to tie up the loose ends in the respectful manner befitting arguably the best sci-fi series ever on TV, and does anyone thing SGA can persist without SG-1? on SG-1 and SGA, story lines that should be completed over the remaining time ideally a few season, but if not then over a few episodes) include: the earth/jaffa war with the ori followers, the earth war with the wraith, the fate of the asurans, the ancients versus the ori, the long-term fate of the asgard, true revelation of the furlings, an explanation as to why they've wasted story-telling time on the lucian alliance, ba'al and the trust, public disclosure about the stargate program, bringing the gen'ii into the fold, the fate of the aschen, formal induction into the alliance as the fifth race, daniel and the ancients, etc etc.

The ratings aren't awful, they just aren't normal stargate ratings, even with 1.3s and 1.4s they are still rated higher than quite a few of SciFi's shows. A season 11 decision is still in the works and we don't know whats going to happen regarding that. But don't forget MGM loves stargate, I mean why wouldn't you if its your second highest revenue generator, so I don't think they are going to let stargate just die. They could give it a film or a mini series, if SciFi stupidly decide to drop it they might give them a mini series. so as for that we just don't know. I think a lot of storylines are just going to be left to our imaginations because there is no way they'd have enough air time to finish them all off with at least the amount of credit they deserve.

Question 2, you are in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on his back, in the hot sun. You recognize his plight but do nothing to help, why?

because… you are also a tortoise.

O’NEILL: No. No. Full well expected the other shoe to drop eventually.

THOR: We can only hope this will be the last footwear to fall.

T-minus 16 days until sky one season 10 premiere.

Comment

ok folks, the news is through - SG-1 on SciFi has been cancelled! wonder if there is any scope for crossovers between SG-1 and SGA once the split happens, let alone all the threads that should be closed that potentially won't

Comment

You know what really sucks though. For most shows 1.4 would be enough to keep it going.

Comment

wonder if there is any scope for crossovers between SG-1 and SGA once the split happens,
          According to the latest announcement from Sci Fi, they are planning to use some SG1 cast members in Atlantis. Bad news for Atlantis, I suspect. Especially if the characters in question are Mitchell and Vala. I already see that many Atlantis fans don't think the writers use half the characters they already have, let alone adding in new ones. And I can see Shepherd and Teyla, to name but two, being sidelined in favour of Mitchell and Vala, if they're moved over.

Albion
          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
            According to the latest announcement from Sci Fi, they are planning to use some SG1 cast members in Atlantis. Bad news for Atlantis, I suspect. Especially if the characters in question are Mitchell and Vala. I already see that many Atlantis fans don't think the writers use half the characters they already have, let alone adding in new ones. And I can see Shepherd and Teyla, to name but two, being sidelined in favour of Mitchell and Vala, if they're moved over.

Albion

More likely they'd get rid of the two "newcomers" and try to keep Tapping and Shanks.

I mean, Shepherd and Teyla have deeper gateroots than Mitchell and Vala do.

Comment

Originally posted by ECN
              More likely they'd get rid of the two "newcomers" and try to keep Tapping and Shanks.

I mean, Shepherd and Teyla have deeper gateroots than Mitchell and Vala do.
              I don't know about that. Amanda and Michael will cost a lot more to keep than Ben and Claudia. And afterall, money is what really determined this cancellation anyways.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Wow, you guys want to know why SG-1 was cancelled? Annoying little fanboys that can't accept change.

Rotating cast is usually an aspect of any show that runs as long as SG-1 has. We were lucky that RDA stayed until season 8, he wanted to leave at the end of season 5. Vala is by far one of the most entertaining characters right now. Mitchell is probably one of the best choices I could think of for bringing in after RDA left. Where you people are pulling that they would interchange Atlantis cast I don't know, but why would they even consider replacing Sheperd? Someone is make mountains out of a speck of dirt that doesn't even exist.

If you are so upset about Mitchell and Vala then why are you upset about the show being cancelled? This should be your day of victory. Your moaning and groaning and not watching the show because you didn't get your way have worked.

I'm unbelievable annoyed that SciFi cancelled it and I hope some other network picks it up. I think the show has stayed entertaining, moreso than most of the other crap out there on major networks.
                Thor: Your mind has been interfaced with the Daniel Jackson.
                Jack: What?
                Daniel: What?!?

Comment

I doubt that Amanda Tapping will cross over to Atlantis if they can't find an outlet for season 11, but I do believe that they would add Michael Shanks to the Atlantis cast.

Comment

Originally posted by The DJ
                    Wow, you guys want to know why SG-1 was cancelled? Annoying little fanboys that can't accept change.

Rotating cast is usually an aspect of any show that runs as long as SG-1 has. We were lucky that RDA stayed until season 8, he wanted to leave at the end of season 5. Vala is by far one of the most entertaining characters right now. Mitchell is probably one of the best choices I could think of for bringing in after RDA left. Where you people are pulling that they would interchange Atlantis cast I don't know, but why would they even consider replacing Sheperd? Someone is make mountains out of a speck of dirt that doesn't even exist.

If you are so upset about Mitchell and Vala then why are you upset about the show being cancelled? This should be your day of victory. Your moaning and groaning and not watching the show because you didn't get your way have worked.

I'm unbelievable annoyed that SciFi cancelled it and I hope some other network picks it up. I think the show has stayed entertaining, moreso than most of the other crap out there on major networks.
                    Wow have you made a bunch of assumptions here.

Firstly, let me please ask that we stop with the "you can't accept change" riff. It's getting old and slightly offtune. Change in and of itself has no value judgment to it. There are good changes and bad changes. I perceived a LOT of the changes to be bad ones and I had no problem communicated my irritation here on the appropriate threads.

That being said, I continued to watch SG-1 even when I was thoroughly disappointed with it. I never stopped watching it and I never told people to stop watching it. I simply wasn't interested in telling people how great it "is"...preferring to tell them how great it "was."

And while I'm sure there are a few people who are happy about the cancellation, this truly is not the norm for "anti's". We're sad that we were right. We hoped that SG-1 would make necessary course corrections and start delivering more compelling stories that held true to the canon of the series and respected the established cast...but that would have meant admitting mistakes and I don't think some of TPTB are able or willing to do that.

I would love it if the franchise left SciFi as I am thoroughly disgusted with their attitude and behavior. However, I would hope that should this occur, they bring in some fresh blood and make several very necessary changes or the past will be doomed to repeat itself elsewhere.

Ironically, Season 10 is already better than all of Season 9 combined but the "fixes" are just too little too late.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                      I don't know about that. Amanda and Michael will cost a lot more to keep than Ben and Claudia. And afterall, money is what really determined this cancellation anyways.
                      No SKIFFY is what ended the show, schedule change BSG, lack of promotion, Ori influence
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Simply put the shows demise is down to everyone concerned with making the show etc.

I personally don't like the way the writers are taking SG-1, judging by the what's happened lately & the huge drop in regular viewers also means I'm not the only 1.

However the biggest screw-ups for SG-1 going downhill is Sci-Fi themselves. Since S6, they start their crap about renewing it on a yearly basis, yet probably knew they would keep on doing it for a few more seasons. Then once the viewing figures go down for a few eps, they blame it on falling figures & more likely higher costs in the actors salaries.

If the fricking idiots had simply signed the main cast up on a 4/5 year deal, then they could have saved a ton of money in salaries. Personally if I were MGM, I'd have told Sci-Fi to go & take a running jump on the Atlantis front, then took the SG franchise to another network. Let Sci-Fi have it's crappy boring BSG baby.

Once they put BSG in it's own slot, then announced they were making fans wait 6 months before showing the 2nd half of S10 after the hiatus made me deeply suspicious of their motives.

The fact that they announced their little ploy before the 200th ep was utterly & totally ridiculous. All they wanted was a record. However technically they shouldn't have it, simply because for 5 years it was on Showtime, so someone should step in & tell them to screw themselves royally on that front. If they want a record, then make them be forced to show it for an additonal 5 years. Me thinks they had this planned before S10 even began shooting, surprised that they even allowed a whole series of eps to be filmed & they just not order 10.

If SG-1 does get taken on by another show, the old guard should be ditched in favour of a bunch of fresh faced new bunch of writers. A lot of them have been there too long & most of the early eps were done by a completely different bunch of writers, so I think that most of the writing staff should be shown the door (in a nice way of course) if they get another network to take it on. Only then can a new fresh look be slapped on it & have it continue to live long into many seasons down the road. Stargate actually has a great concept, even more so than almost other scifi shows because it's based on real-life, so fans can relate to it a lot more that that of ST etc.

While it's done okay over the years, I really feel that it hasn't lived up to it's true potential & if put in the right direction could have achieved far more that it has done up till now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                          Simply put the shows demise is down to everyone concerned with making the show etc.

I personally don't like the way the writers are taking SG-1, judging by the what's happened lately & the huge drop in regular viewers also means I'm not the only 1.

However the biggest screw-ups for SG-1 going downhill is Sci-Fi themselves. Since S6, they start their crap about renewing it on a yearly basis, yet probably knew they would keep on doing it for a few more seasons. Then once the viewing figures go down for a few eps, they blame it on falling figures & more likely higher costs in the actors salaries.

If the fricking idiots had simply signed the main cast up on a 4/5 year deal, then they could have saved a ton of money in salaries. Personally if I were MGM, I'd have told Sci-Fi to go & take a running jump on the Atlantis front, then took the SG franchise to another network. Let Sci-Fi have it's crappy boring BSG baby.

Once they put BSG in it's own slot, then announced they were making fans wait 6 months before showing the 2nd half of S10 after the hiatus made me deeply suspicious of their motives.

The fact that they announced their little ploy before the 200th ep was utterly & totally ridiculous. All they wanted was a record. However technically they shouldn't have it, simply because for 5 years it was on Showtime, so someone should step in & tell them to screw themselves royally on that front. If they want a record, then make them be forced to show it for an additonal 5 years. Me thinks they had this planned before S10 even began shooting, surprised that they even allowed a whole series of eps to be filmed & they just not order 10.

If SG-1 does get taken on by another show, the old guard should be ditched in favour of a bunch of fresh faced new bunch of writers. A lot of them have been there too long & most of the early eps were done by a completely different bunch of writers, so I think that most of the writing staff should be shown the door (in a nice way of course) if they get another network to take it on. Only then can a new fresh look be slapped on it & have it continue to live long into many seasons down the road. Stargate actually has a great concept, even more so than almost other scifi shows because it's based on real-life, so fans can relate to it a lot more that that of ST etc.

While it's done okay over the years, I really feel that it hasn't lived up to it's true potential & if put in the right direction could have achieved far more that it has done up till now.
                          I have been a fan from the begining and do not feel that the writing has been poor and I think the show is better than ever the ratings are mainly due to Scifi but not the quality of the show IMO.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I live in the UK and am begging for all you guys and gals to watch the first runs please, so that another network will buy the rights!!
                            I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Uber,

I was not implying that all anti's were the fanboys I was referring to. Those of you that were making criticisms and continuing to watch hoping for change, it's fans like you that can make shows better. I am referring to those that continued to whine and not watch and are now laughing and dancing that they were right. I am just frustrated that people would delight in the downfall of a show that has been the backbone for many SciFi shows since. Please don't take offense to my post, it was not intended in that way. Let's just continue to fight for what we love.
                              Thor: Your mind has been interfaced with the Daniel Jackson.
                              Jack: What?
                              Daniel: What?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X