This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cell Phones at Stargate command!?!?!

How does one get signal under a mountain? Wouldn't that be a serious security risk with cell phone cameras and all?

Am I being too serious?

In my opinion there is no way you'd be able to get a signal under a mountain.

I get a weak signal when I drive into the parking garage at the airport in denver, and totaly loose it when I'm on top of a mountain pass south of Colorado Springs.

There is no way possible that a average cell phone would get coverage way down inside a mountain.

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

I agree. That did seem farfetched, especially with the military bases I live around, some of them jam cell service. With the SGC being black ops it wouldn't have any kind of service in the mountian.

Due to the nature of the episode, I decided to let it go. Even the writers acknowledged it with the bad signal comment. Kinda like the we got transported out just in the nick of time, how convenient jest was made.

Comment

Originally posted by idlewild202
        In my opinion there is no way you'd be able to get a signal under a mountain.

I get a weak signal when I drive into the parking garage at the airport in denver, and totaly loose it when I'm on top of a mountain pass south of Colorado Springs.

There is no way possible that a average cell phone would get coverage way down inside a mountain.
        So do I. I thought the same thing but didn't give it a second thought. I forgot about it till I saw this thread. Great ep don't care about the phone.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I thought of that too. There's no way ANY booster could get you a signal 28 floors underground.....

Ah, well.....we suspend reality every day.....

Artistic license, I believe they call it.

LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
            I thought of that too. There's no way ANY booster could get you a signal 28 floors underground.....

Ah, well.....we suspend reality every day.....

Artistic license, I believe they call it.

LOL!
            As Teal'c the PI would say

Comment

As much as one would like to attribute it to being the goofy 200th episode and all, it isn't the first time it's happened, actually. Sam gets a cell phone call from Pete while she's in the base in Season 8's "Threads".

Comment

Originally posted by AngelusInsomnus
                As much as one would like to attribute it to being the goofy 200th episode and all, it isn't the first time it's happened, actually. Sam gets a cell phone call from Pete while she's in the base in Season 8's "Threads".
                I believe that was the whole point of mentioning the cell phone thing in “200”...they were mocking the brain fart they had in “Threads”.

Kind of like on “Wormhole Xtreme” they mocked the whole “phase shifting objects/people who can move through walls should fall through floors as well” bit.
                sigpic
                Spoiler:
                Me: “I just wanted to take the Staten Island Ferry…I wasn’t expecting the extraordinary rendition.”
                *Three DHS guys dressed in black pop out of nowhere. *
                DHS: “NOBODY EVER EXPECTS THE EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION!!!”
                DHS: “Our chief weapons are shock-n-awe, enhanced interrogation techniques, and the suspension of habeas corpus.”

Comment

Originally posted by Argosy
                  I believe that was the whole point of mentioning the cell phone thing in “200”...they were mocking the brain fart they had in “Threads”.

Kind of like on “Wormhole Xtreme” they mocked the whole “phase shifting objects/people who can move through walls should fall through floors as well” bit.
                  Exactly... they were making fun of the fact that a cell phone could get any kind of reception.

That's why martin said something like "The cell phone reception sucks down here..."

Ace
                  "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                    Exactly... they were making fun of the fact that a cell phone could get any kind of reception.

That's why martin said something like "The cell phone reception sucks down here..."

Ace
                    They sure paid attention to the Antis complaints!

Comment

yes, you can't get a signal under ground. I was in Subtropolis, a limestone mine that's been turned into storage/office space and NO cellphones work and it's just 30-50 feet down

but like others have said, it's likely a poke at all those of us that nitpicked at Threads adn Sam's cell phone working

Just like i think PdL's potty mouth routine at the end was a poke at all that have complained about his incessant potty humor on the commentaries
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                        They sure paid attention to the Antis complaints!
                        'complaints' is just another word for nitpicking. And there's a guy in the trek franchise that has made tons of money nitpicking all the episodes.

Nitpicking and critiqueing can actually be more useful than mindless 'this is the bestest episode evah!!!!!!!'

anyone can gush, just like anyone can nitpick. There's just not a lot you can do with gushing beyond enjoying that warm tingly feeling when y ou read it
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It's possible to install subterranean boosters (they're currently installing them on the London Underground - a booster every 30 or so meters underground), so you could get a signal if they had boosters all the way down. However, it does strike me as a major security risk.

Comment

Uhmmm...

It was a joke guys. And no, you don't get cell phone reception anywhere in Cheyenne Mountain. They ARE a security risk. LOL

Next silly idea.

Tech Junkie

Now, upgraded with 1 forum demerit point for the use of sarcasm.
                            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Ambassador Koch, Believers, 1.10 B5

Comment

Yeah also young Teal'c cell phones young daniel from a ship in orbit on an alien planet.
                              Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

Working...
                              X