This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview with Ben Browder in Eclipse Magazine

There's a really good interview with Ben in Eclipse Magazine where he talks about how Mitchell fit into the show and fans' reactions to him and other things, including how Mitchell needs a "blanky." LOL

Here's a snippet:

“ “I think that this analysis is right and that was what Rob Cooper’s intention was, that Mitchell was a fan-boy. That was something [Cooper] wanted to show them as opposed to someone who came in and was immediately at odds with the others. I don’t think that Mitchell should be a perfect fit. I don’t think that anyone we meet in life completely fulfills our expectations. In contrast to characters we’ve known for a long time, there are more surprises to a new character and I find that the characters that display those flaws and surprises are more interesting to me as an audience member and perhaps as an actor as well.”

Browder goes on to explain a bit more about why he feels that Mitchell not being a perfect fit in the beginning was more realistic to him and made Mitchell more interesting to portray on the series. “The things that the audience might see about Mitchell that don’t fit are quite often simply a reflection of real life. There are instances in our lives when you can know someone for twenty years and suddenly you find out something you never knew about them.”

Browder says that he firmly believes that breaking the expectations is actually a good thing for a character. “It may not be a comfortable thing, and may not necessarily be a popular thing, but I do think it’s a real thing. I think it’s important that characters are not completely predictable. Some of the most interesting people I’ve known in my life are people who like doing things you would never expect them to like doing…like jumping out of planes. That unexpectedness is part of Mitchell as well. There should be surprises and there should be things that don’t mesh and meld with the other members of the team. That forces growth for him and hopefully for the others around him.”
    And here's the rest:
    http://eclipsemagazine.com/modules/n...p?storyid=1739

Thanks for the link. Sounds like it was a fun interview. Poor Mitchell and his blankey!! Ben seems to always give very intelligent and fun interviews.

Comment

Thanks for the link! Ben was his usual warm, charming and articulate self. And his diplomatic skills, as always, are a wonder to behold! TPTB are very, very lucky to have him.

Comment

What first impressed me about Ben is how seriously he takes his craft. Many actors in Scifi take the flippant approach ,
        Ben Browder : blowin up things and kissin that's what we call Drahma !

Comment

Working...
        X