Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SG can't simply blow up a supergate - WTF?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG can't simply blow up a supergate - WTF?

just a question regarding SG1 season 9 finale (in aprticular) - upon arrival of the SG1 team on the Odyssey the captain informs them that they'd attempted to destroy the gate with the combined firepower of the entire fleet but to no avail.

However never is an explanation offered as to why "brute" force cannot achieve this - I mean, it's just a gate right? Granted it's ancient tech but still, it's a 400m wide material construction made up of several modules connected to form a gate that isn't even shielded, at least not against slow moving objects since Sam could land on it and take out the control panels. What if they simply lodged a nuke in between 2 of the wedges? Ancient tech or not, it can't ignore the laws of physics...
    just a thought

spolier season 9 beachead

Spoiler:
    or used a whole lot of our gate busters (beachhead)
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Probably absorbs energy, remember it took us a long time to invent a nuke that could destroy a stargate, and we still haven't seen one actually destroyed by a nuke (To my knowledge).
      I'm proud to be an American.

"...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

Comment

Originally posted by Dromag67
        Probably absorbs energy, remember it took us a long time to invent a nuke that could destroy a stargate, and we still haven't seen one actually destroyed by a nuke (To my knowledge).
        beachead and mitchell said that there do have a lot of them

Comment

Probably absorbs energy, remember it took us a long time to invent a nuke that could destroy a stargate
          duh...memory failure...which episode was that?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver
            duh...memory failure...which episode was that?
            Dunno, Raziel, could've been the one where that dude takes control of the SGC and orders that a naquada bomb be tested on another planet.
            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

What if they simply lodged a nuke in between 2 of the wedges? Ancient tech or not, it can't ignore the laws of physics...
              just a thought
              IMO the supergate isnt a very durable thing its a new product all new products break easy SoulRe@ver is right just lodged a nuke in between 2 of the wedges
              Click the link to learn the Goa'uld language
              Lo tak meta satak oz

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
                Dunno, Raziel, could've been the one where that dude takes control of the SGC and orders that a naquada bomb be tested on another planet.
                hehe - LoK fan too?

Comment

smoke and mirrors i believe it was

Comment

Well, considering how a single pylon mowed right through a fully-shielded Ha'tak in 'Beach Head' as though it wasn't even there while the Prometheus suffered from some serious damage when its shields were barely grazed by another, I'd say it'll likely take an enormous amount of firepower to actually destroy the Supergate. It'd be much easier to disable it or something, the way Vala did.

Comment

just a question regarding SG1 season 9 finale (in aprticular) - upon arrival of the SG1 team on the Odyssey the captain informs them that they'd attempted to destroy the gate with the combined firepower of the entire fleet but to no avail.

However never is an explanation offered as to why "brute" force cannot achieve this - I mean, it's just a gate right? Granted it's ancient tech but still, it's a 400m wide material construction made up of several modules connected to form a gate that isn't even shielded, at least not against slow moving objects since Sam could land on it and take out the control panels. What if they simply lodged a nuke in between 2 of the wedges? Ancient tech or not, it can't ignore the laws of physics...
                      just a thought
                      funny thing about scifi... you can rewrite the laws of physics to fit the story... its called rubber science.

as for the supergate... 1. its not necessarily new. its new to us the viewers, but it could be several millenia old for the Ori. 2. look at the sheer size of it and the energy it consumes and expends... its powered by a mini black hole for crying out loud... something that operates that close to such an energy source would have to be phenomenally strong to withstand the effects of the microsingularity. just bc a nuke is the most powerful weapon on earth doesn't mean its the most powerful weapon in the universe. ships have inertial dampeners... i'm sure a supergate could have naquada-nuclear blast deflectors... or simply, the material the modules are made out of are so incredibly durable that they're unaffected by a naqnuke.

we don't know what the modules are made out of... could be some mineral or element found only in the ori home galaxy that reacts differently to radiation and EM fields... who knows
                      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                        smoke and mirrors i believe it was
                        Nope, 'Chain Reaction'. 'Smoke and Mirrors' is the one when "Jack" shoots Kinsey.

And, anyway, consider what it takes to destroy a normal Stargate - a nuclear warhead. Now scale that up to what would be need to destroy a Supergate. I think that a Ha'tak shooting at a Supergate would probably be even less effective than a staff weapon is against a normal gate.

Comment

yeah well that it takes a nuke to destroy a standard stargate makes even less sense (can't remember that episode btw)

at this point it aint "rubber science" - it's "cartoon science" lol...

Comment

yeah well that it takes a nuke to destroy a standard stargate makes even less sense (can't remember that episode btw)

at this point it aint "rubber science" - it's "cartoon science" lol...
                            i think that the minimum we need is a supernova to destroy a supergate
                            Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                            Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                            Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                            Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano
                              i think that the minimum we need is a supernova to destroy a supergate
                              Oh, that shouldn't be a problem then... Carter!!

Comment

Working...
                              X