This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackie
    couple of problems; sci fi moved the time slots and removed BSG from the line up. If Atlantis and SG-1 had thier old time slots followed by BSG I think the summer ratings would have been better.

Last year they had the perfect fri night line up and they went screwed with it.

If it's not broke don't fix it, sci-fi.
    That's BSG's fault.
    Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
    Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
    -Audioslave

Comment

At the very least all of this seasons eps will be aired. Andromeda was getting comparable even a little worse ratings in its last season and SciFi played them all. The big question is season 11. As I understand it the contracts have been signed so season 11 is a go unless scifi cancels it.
      -EARCK

"You ended that sentence in a preposition, *******!"
      -Jack O'Niell

Comment

Also we won't see the effects of an episode until the next week. Last weeks episode was GREAT so it should generate higher rating NEXT week. Just because an episode is good it won't change that episode's rating.
        -EARCK

-Jack O'Niell

Comment

One more thing. I would be interested in seeing how all the other shows on all networks are doing. Maybe there is a huge ratings drop across the board, that would explain a few things.
          -EARCK

-Jack O'Niell

Comment

What I don't understand is why the shows were moved back to their pre-BSG time slots? With BSG to premier in October, shouldn't their Season 2 reruns be on?

The shows are pulling ratings that match what they earned when in these times before, so while I'm concerned for the future of SG-1, (don't get me started on SGA), I want to know why the execs are messing with a good thing unless they are trying to find an excuse to kill a franchise that doesn't seem inclined to die anytime soon.

Hopefully, next week's ratings will improve.
            "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie
              couple of problems; sci fi moved the time slots and removed BSG from the line up. If Atlantis and SG-1 had thier old time slots followed by BSG I think the summer ratings would have been better.

Last year they had the perfect fri night line up and they went screwed with it.

If it's not broke don't fix it, sci-fi.
              Originally posted by full.infinity
              That's BSG's fault.
              So SG1 and Atlantis only get good ratings if BSG follows them? Wouldn't that mean that Stargate isn't able to hold its own anymore without a heavy hitter shoring it up?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                So SG1 and Atlantis only get good ratings if BSG follows them? Wouldn't that mean that Stargate isn't able to hold its own anymore without a heavy hitter shoring it up?
                And does that also imply that the ratings for SG1 and Atlantis have been higher in the past season or two thanks to BSG or, vice versa, would have been lower without it?

I'm all but convinced that the lower ratings this season are due to losing BSG as the anchor. Not much you can do about it now though.

ETA: Just curious - who would get the profits if they stuck Stargate eps on iTunes like BSG? SciFi? MGM/Sony? Both?
                Last edited by ToasterOnFire; 02 August 2006, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                  Many SF shows hit their ratings strides in Season 3--Babylon 5, Farscape, X-Files
                  Actually Farscape went out with high ratings with the only reason given that episodes were "expensive" to produce. The show was getting better and better, the fans had no complaints, unlike Stargate lately, and new people were tuning in.

Upper SciFi management changed however and they were into more "realistic" shows. So in a choice between Stargate SG-1 and Farscape they chose Stargate. Can't really blame em, it was a very tough choice and I believe at the time Stargate might have had even higher ratings and cost less to produce.

Anyhow, SciFi managed to wiggle their way out of a 2 season contract that still had a season on it. Finito.

But Farscape didn't have low ratings before it was dropped, I can't speak for those other shows.

Definition of a Gunslinger

Comment

These ratings do definitely disappoint me. I just hope they somehow can rebound from this.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

In my opinion, Stargate SG-1 is returning to it's base audience. The number of viewers watching is going down, compared to recent seasons, because there were so many people watching during season eight. I expect both shows to be renewed again.

The average number of viewers for this season so far is 2 million. For season six it was 1.3 million and season seven was a little higher at 1.4 million. Then with season eight, the average nearly doubled rising to 2.7 million. Then last season, as I would have expected, the number was lower at 2.4 million.

These numbers from my point of view show that Stargate SG-1 is doing well in the ratings.

Comment

Though 90% of the comments seem focused on SG-1 and its changes, the real disappointment is Atlantis. SG-1 wasn't supposed to last this long. Atlantis was supposed to carry on the torch the way Deep Space Nine did for Next Generation within the Trek franchise. But, after two seasons, the show hasn't fulfilled that goal. Whatever has mired SG-1's ratings is miring Atlantis even more because it's not supposed to be suffering from the same tiredness at its age. Many SF shows hit their ratings strides in Season 3--Babylon 5, Farscape, X-Files But Atlantis hasn't developed an independent audience or pulse of its own.

The whole franchise is in a funk. It appears to be yesterday's news.
                        same writers.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          Maybe it was the last season that convinced viewers that it wasnt worth watching anymore?
                          That'd be my guess.

People tuned in to see the new direction of the new SG-1, how they integrated the new people/how they treated the veterans/what the new bad guys would be like/etc. and simply were not inclined to return.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Though 90% of the comments seem focused on SG-1 and its changes, the real disappointment is Atlantis. SG-1 wasn't supposed to last this long. Atlantis was supposed to carry on the torch the way Deep Space Nine did for Next Generation within the Trek franchise. But, after two seasons, the show hasn't fulfilled that goal. Whatever has mired SG-1's ratings is miring Atlantis even more because it's not supposed to be suffering from the same tiredness at its age. Many SF shows hit their ratings strides in Season 3--Babylon 5, Farscape, X-Files But Atlantis hasn't developed an independent audience or pulse of its own.

The whole franchise is in a funk. It appears to be yesterday's news.
                            Then wouldn't the solution be to get better writers with fresh ideas that utilize all the characters well and tell compelling stories?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Ultiimately I think that as long as the series is still making a decent amount of money (which between first run on sci-fi, syndication, and DVDs I believe it still is) MGM will keep producing it. Granted, much of that depends on SciFi also renewing their first-run contract each year which in turns depends on the ratings.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but even with these lower numbers, it's still one of Sci-Fi's better rated shows is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                Then wouldn't the solution be to get better writers with fresh ideas that utilize all the characters well and tell compelling stories?

All the characters are utilized well... it's just a case of different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Working...
                                X