Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the "HOT" young (or old) female writers!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are the "HOT" young (or old) female writers!!!

I've been reading reports on new writers for SG1 and ST:ENT

Hello both are described as hot young males potential show runners etcetc

AAAARGH excuse me if that makes me feel more than a little paranoid
    BUT WHERE OH WHERE ( takes deep breath) where please are ALL the hot young or old female writers?

There are just as young SF writers who are female - Linda Nagata?
    or female comics writers or fantasy writers?

Why are we still a minority amongst tv script writers or producers - the exception not the rule?

Honestly some days I think the reason we always seem to hear about young male ex fan boy writers is that certain producers have this - well I call it the alien clone group mind headset - like minds seeking lesser versions of themselves?

Sorry NOT if this offends the guys but I truly really would like to hear about hot new young or old female SF scripters?

We can write novels but not scripts?

Does SOOO not compute!
    Keep the science in SciFi!

hot people don't naturally exist. only plastic surgery does.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Sorry Marty, but thats completely untrue.
      [email protected]
      http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
      One nation under dog
      There of which I stand alone
      A face in the crowd
      Unsung, against the mold
      Without a doubt
      Singled out
      The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
        So you've seen my pic. j/k

Yeah, I know "hot" refers to talented in this case, but from a distance it looks like something else.

Talented female writers are out there. They just don't need to bask in the limelight like their male counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime

Sarcasm people! Sarcasm!

*dies*

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Talented female writers are out there. They just don't need to bask in the limelight like their male counterparts.
            Funny.

....That was a joke, right?
            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              So you've seen my pic. j/k
              HA! So you admit it! There is a picture! Or is it possible that even Shadow's almighty intellect has succombed to mass delusions???
              [email protected]
              http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
              One nation under dog
              There of which I stand alone
              A face in the crowd
              Unsung, against the mold
              Without a doubt
              Singled out
              The only way I know

Comment

Recyt to ShadowMaat

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                Funny.

....That was a joke, right?
                Joke or not when was the last time anyone saw a PR shot showing a Senior Producer introducing young FEMALE scripting Talent for an Sf show?

i cant remember !
                Keep the science in SciFi!

Comment

Originally posted by neith4
                  Recyt to ShadowMaat

Joke or not when was the last time anyone saw a PR shot showing a Senior Producer introducing young FEMALE scripting Talent for an Sf show?

i cant remember !
                  <nods> It's no joke, AFAIC. In this business it's simply not enough to write terrific stuff; if you don't have the backing and the advertising behind you, forget it.

What best-selling novel isn't hyped to the max, with the author having to work harder at selling his/her book than at writing it(book tours, signings, giving talks and interviews, etc)? How long would it stay on the BS list without all that extra leg-work? Would it even have made it onto the list based solely on it's own merits?

How much of the record-setting ratings Atlantis earned could be tied directly to all the advertising it got?

Bottom line(IMO), it's not about women writing the best stuff(or not), it's about a male-dominated industry letting them make a living at it.

Someone should write a script about a woman who wants to make it in scriptwriting, but she dresses as a male and assumes a male name.

Cliche?

Touche!
                  Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                  "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                  One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                  resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                  confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                  A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                  The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

So you're saying I should choose a masculine alias when I try to market my work? Someone buys my stuff and finds out too late that I'm a girl? hehe.

Comment

Yeah, I wonder who would be the female analogue to Joss Whedon. That makes me wonder.
                      Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                      more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Simple fact is that girls don´t mind reading stuff by men while boys sometimes object to reading stuff by women. This is why the chick who wrote the Harry Potter novels is titled with her initials and not her name.

Comment

Well, it is true I use my first initial and a last name to write, something that sounds masculine. Mainly b/c I LOVE to write action or SciFi and it is very true that unless the producers are looking for a "frilly female" type storyline a woman won't get much notice. Or you "work" your way into it thru other avenues, Oh you could try the "Pamala Anderson" way of getting in, the sad truth is, I've been in a lot of television shows but ONLY after I went blonde and started showing off my "assests" the differance is knowing you can do the work but using the male brain to your advantage...The sad but too often truth is that hollywood IS still run by men and if you wanna sell a popcorn movie to Jerry Bruckhimer you gotta hold his attention...you have to first get thier attention. The trick is being blonde but acting/writing like a brunette...{actors joke}
                          Last edited by Saqqara; 25 July 2005, 07:57 PM.

Check out an excerpt of my SG-1 book on my blog..http://saqqarasblog.blogspot.com/
                          http://www.atlantissgc.org/saqqara

Comment

I'm shocked. Shocked and appalled at this thread! Here we are, in this day and age, and we've gone clear a dozen posts in this thread, and not a single one of you thought to say "Just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside..."

What kind of Gaters are you, I ask you...

I hang my head in shame.

-IMF
                            Oh, and for the record... I read J.K. Rowling's books with glee and full knowlege of her gender. One of my favorite Doctor Who novelists is Kate Orman... a woman, in case the Kate was felt ambiguous in some ways. Marti Noxon was one of my favorite writers on Buffy, along with Jane Espensen (who also wrote the wonderful "Shindig" for Firefly)... We're not all obstinant about these things.
                            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by neith4
                              Recyt to ShadowMaat

i cant remember !

Ah Sherry Lansing (greenlighter), Liz Friedman (ExProd), Kathrine Fuget(Story Editor), Jeri Ryan(Creator,ExProd), Judith Reeves-Stevens(Writer, ExProd) the list goes on and on in Sci-Fi gerne ... you just have to look for them. And many writers (female) are doctors or fixers, who do not get WGA credit ... only the big bucks!
                              The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

Working...
                              X