This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The anti/pro season 10 thread

I realize that there is a pro season 10 thread and a anti season 10 thread but there is no thread made to debate the subject. Which is what this thread is for, come in and debate!.

However, let's keep it under control I realize it will be hard(especially for me) but lets be civilized.
    sigpic

I have a feeling this isn't going to end well...
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

I can say in one post how this thread will end up.

Anti:
      Mitchell sucks! Vala is awful! Ratings are clear evidence this shows failing! The Ori are the worst enemy in the history of sci-fi!

Pro:
      Mitchell and Vala are great! The Ori are great! The Ratings system is flawed!

It's like science vs. religion, neither side will concede defeat, and because it's simply a matter of opinion, neither side is wrong or right.

However, for the sake of the thread I'm gonna take a firm position on the pro SG-1 team
      An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

last year it would have been anti...this year...

PRO!
        sigpic
        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I'm gonna snap if I see someone yelling "zomg, dont you see the SG-1 ratings are evidence that the show sucks". Atlantis isn't doing any better people! My advice: Just. Don't.
          sigpic

Comment

Ratings are a load of crap anyway...if they took into account tivo-ing and recording, the figures'd be a lot higher.

Also, I blame sci fi
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Skiffy is the root of all evil!

Ohw, and I'm defenitely pro season 10. I'm also pro seasons 11 and 12, but i'm against season 13.
              *And that's all I have to say about that*

Comment

you know - and i'm speaking as a poster here - given the attitude i've seen thus far (and have witnessed in past weeks in other threads), why bother to come in and 'debate'. It's clear from the posts here thus far that this thread exists for little more than 'let's convince those stupid people that can't see things the way we want them to see it our way'

What i'm seeing thus far is some rather passionate attitudes. Why would anyone want to come in here and get ganged up on, cut down and belittled because they disagree with you??

Like descent said, there are no 'winners'.

and personally, the more someone gangs up on me to tell me i'm wrong and stupid and not a true fan and tells me to bugger off and go away, the more set i become in my attitude.

Basicaly, the more i am pushed to change my mind, the less likely i am to change it, simply because i'm not going to tolerate being told how to think.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well said, Skydiver. Descent threatens anyone who might have a negative opinion on the ratings against posting their point of view - but apparently a very postive spin on the ratings is just fine and meets with no objection.

This isn't debate. It's a waste of space and time. For all the reasons given by Skydiver.

Albion
                  Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

If anyone wants to come in here and talk, go for it.

But if my years in fandom have taught me nothing else it's that there's no surplus of tolerance and respect and no shortage of people that will disrespect you to make you see things thier way.

Folks are enjoying the show. Cool. good for them. I'm not going to run around trying to convince them that it's bad. Just because it's bad for me doesn't mean that it's bad for them. I'll respect thier POV and do my best to leave them be.

Some folks spent literally every hour of the day 3-4 years ago trying to convince the world that DAniel leaving the show would be its death, that season 6 sucked, that jonas was horrible and taht i was stupid and a non-fan to garner any enjoyment from season 6.

Their posts did NOTHING to alter my opinion. In fact, in reading thier posts, i became more and more convinced in what i DID like about season 6, so in thier perpetual harrassing of me, all they did was cement my opinon and to this day season six is one of my favorites.

And again, i'm in here as a poster, not a mod. But as a poster i know that any sort of 'debate' is useless because people will not change thier opinions just to make the world more convenient for me.

Like it, don't like it. At the end of the day the only opinion you can truly control is your own.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                      I'm gonna snap if I see someone yelling "zomg, dont you see the SG-1 ratings are evidence that the show sucks". Atlantis isn't doing any better people! My advice: Just. Don't.
                      Ratings, unfortunately are not the determining factor of whether a show sucks or not. There've been plenty of quality shows that have never caught on with the mainstream and plenty of muck (see ECW) that people flock to in droves. So I wouldn't put ratings and quality together. I've seen too many interesting, quality shows go down the tubes because, for whatever reason, they just didn't catch on.

I posted this on the anti-11 thread, though I'm not necessarily sure I'm anti but...I think the premise might just be getting old, and thus the lower ratings.

However, from where I sit, I'm enjoying the show quite a bit, more than last year. I like the idea of the Ori (topical, religious fanatics, join us or die), and I love the idea that Vala's daughter is all wrapped up in this. I'm hoping that has actual ramifications along the lines of the "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" and actually lead to continued character development. it does hit pretty close to home for the team and, as Carter pointed out to Daniel "you couldn't kill a child." Adria's an adult now but the daughter of a teammate...would Vala let them kill her? could they? Would she?

Interesting dilemma.

I'm also hoping that we get some Carter/Vala interaction--I think there'd be good chemistry between the characters and the actresses.

Mitchell's coming along as well and I've always loved Daniel and Teal'c. I can't say I'd be overly surprised or disappointed if the show doesn't go beyond this season. And I don't think bringing RDA back is going to necessarily change things--it's difficult to recapture the magic and it'd be painful to see them try, if they brought him back for more than a couple of episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                        Descent threatens anyone who might have a negative opinion on the ratings against posting their point of view - but apparently a very postive spin on the ratings is just fine and meets with no objection.

This isn't debate. It's a waste of space and time. For all the reasons given by Skydiver.
                        That was a low blow. I do not "threaten" anyone who doesn't support the new season, I debate with opinions of my own Albion. Yes, some of you antiers have good points about this new season, while I've found some to be completely baseless and out of left field. The point is we live in a world that is completely opinion based, what may seem like a old rehash of the old days to you might be excellent and fresh writing to others. So the next time I might "threaten" someone, don't take it so harshly, I'm just debating my opinion just like (or not like) you.

I say this thread be closed, its only an excuse for a flame war at this point between the antiers and pros.
                        Last edited by Descent; 04 August 2006, 01:29 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Let's start over.

This thread is to discuss your own personal feelings/beliefs about season 10. You can only speak for yourself and your own opinions.

Personal comments will not be on topic and will be deleted.

So, each person...why do you think season 10 is good/ why do you think season 10 is bad?

DIscuss the topic, season 10, do not discuss each other.

sigpic

Comment

It's too bad that people can't come in, make their points, argue others and then move along without getting all worked up about it. Isn't this a society where free debate is encouraged? Certainly, all parties should be able to debate my side/your side and still maintain a degree of respect, as opposed to having separate playgrounds for the "pros" and the "antis".

I don't agree with all the antis that the season sucks big time. I don't agree with all the pros that it's the best thing since sliced bread. And that statement alone, I'm sure, is a gross generalization.

My opinion is that s10 seems more even than s9, probably because you're not playing with the whole Vala/Carter swap. That situation necessitated certain elements be used (Vala) and certain others (Carter) not used. Having Carter around makes it feel more like "the team" but I certainly wouldn't want to sacrifice Vala for only the team. She does bring a certain amount of conflict to the table; for me, that's fun to watch, especially playing off characters who typically are pretty straight-forward nice people like Carter. She's sort of like Mckay, bringing out the worst in her fellow man.

anyway...I'm more pro than anti. Certainly the show's not perfect but, IMO (only mine, of course), it never was.

Comment

Alright, fresh start.

Pros
                              1. I feel like this season has struck the right mood and emotions so far as to the invasion

2. Valas not just *poof* a member of SG-1, actually shes still not an actual member

3. Were getting no help from anyone luckily

Cons

1. So far, some of Vala's humor has been forced and overplayed

2. We need to find a weapon...to defeat our enemies....again...

3. So far, old characters like Bra'tac are simply not that interesting anymore

There, thats all I could come up with right now.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X