X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8/04 Episodes + Scifi 'branding'

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technol...e=r_technology

Excerpt:
    Stargate SG-1" Scientists and soldiers traverse the universe via a series of
    mysterious portals. 9 p.m. and midnight Friday.

"Stargate Atlantis" Scientists and soldiers struggle against a dangerous
    enemy called the Wraith. 10 p.m. and 1 a.m. Friday

but good article on nework 'branding'

"I'm big on brands," says Bonnie Hammer, president of both USA Network and
    the Sci Fi Channel. "It's very important for anyone to differentiate themselves
    and come up with a brand that's organic to what they do. Especially now, with all this cross-platform product that has to be developed (online), if in fact there is no brand, there's no way to carry it over."

*Click on link above for the full text*

Originally posted by prion
    http://www.redorbit.com/news/technol...e=r_technology

Excerpt:
    Stargate SG-1" Scientists and soldiers traverse the universe via a series of
    mysterious portals. 9 p.m. and midnight Friday.

"Stargate Atlantis" Scientists and soldiers struggle against a dangerous
    enemy called the Wraith. 10 p.m. and 1 a.m. Friday

but good article on nework 'branding'

"I'm big on brands," says Bonnie Hammer, president of both USA Network and
    the Sci Fi Channel. "It's very important for anyone to differentiate themselves
    and come up with a brand that's organic to what they do. Especially now, with all this cross-platform product that has to be developed (online), if in fact there is no brand, there's no way to carry it over."

*Click on link above for the full text*
    Huh...what? I'm still trying to decipher that corporate-speak...

Ok, read the article. I get "branding." My own workplace is big on that whole brand thing...but...wrestling has to do with exactly what on sci fi...? That's how you "grow the brand", by introducing non-brand elements?

I remain about as confused as I was when Ms. Hammer said, post Farscape cancellation, that the network was trying to appeal to women--and then went on to tout "Tremors" when Farscape had more than 50% of its viewers in the female demographic....

still confused

Comment

Well at least they mentioned both stargate shows among there signature shows. Let's hope that is good. :shrug:
      "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
      'Eleanor Roosevelt'
      Individuality is freedom lived.
      'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1
        Well at least they mentioned both stargate shows among there signature shows. Let's hope that is good. :shrug:
        They should be mentioned. SG-1 helped make this channel for god's sake.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524
          Ok, read the article. I get "branding." My own workplace is big on that whole brand thing...but...wrestling has to do with exactly what on sci fi...? That's how you "grow the brand", by introducing non-brand elements?
          other than making them a truck load of money?????
          wrestling is stupid (in my opinion) and sure as hades has no business on a scifi channel (unless they're making some statement about the 'reality' of the program)
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            other than making them a truck load of money?????
            wrestling is stupid (in my opinion) and sure as hades has no business on a scifi channel (unless they're making some statement about the 'reality' of the program)
            I suppose a stretch is to say, well, it's so fake, it's fiction...but...nah, I can't make it work.

Truckloads of money.

So much for the coveted female demographic, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524
              I suppose a stretch is to say, well, it's so fake, it's fiction...but...nah, I can't make it work.

So much for the coveted female demographic, eh?
              Sure you can:

Professional wrestling = Steroids (science) + soap opera (fiction)

...maybe they're leaning on the soap opera element for the female demographic.

This is the way the suits at scifi think. I mean they did show Mel Gibson's Braveheart. That's scifi right?

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
                Sure you can:

Professional wrestling = Steroids (science) + soap opera (fiction)

...maybe they're leaning on the soap opera element for the female demographic.

This is the way the suits at scifi think. I mean they did show Mel Gibson's Braveheart. That's scifi right?

Heh...ever since they cancelled Farscape, I've given up any hope of understanding the target audience. Cancel a show that drew a more than 50% female audience and THEN go on to say how you're trying to attract the female demo with "Tremors." I'm lost.

But I suppose your description is as good as any. ECW and cheesy Saturday night B movies--at least most of those have horror or sci fi elements. Except for maybe "Braveheart..."

*scratches head*

Comment

You would have thought they would learn! They also assumed the SG1 audience and the Farscape one were one and the same therefore when the numbers were different the assumption was that people were turning off because they didn't like what they saw when in reality alot of the audience went on to another show and new people took their places.I didn't watch SG1 until Ben Browder joined the cast. That is my primary reason for watching.I don't dislike SG1 but it's appeal is different. Both shows appeal to women and men alike. Some of the new programming on Scifi like Eureka also appeals to both sexes.Despite her words I think Ms. Hammer believes in the stereotype scifi fan.
                  Ben Browder : blowin up things and kissin that's what we call Drahma !

Comment

Originally posted by scapephile
                    You would have thought they would learn! They also assumed the SG1 audience and the Farscape one were one and the same therefore when the numbers were different the assumption was that people were turning off because they didn't like what they saw when in reality alot of the audience went on to another show and new people took their places.I didn't watch SG1 until Ben Browder joined the cast. That is my primary reason for watching.I don't dislike SG1 but it's appeal is different. Both shows appeal to women and men alike. Some of the new programming on Scifi like Eureka also appeals to both sexes.Despite her words I think Ms. Hammer believes in the stereotype scifi fan.
                    Judging from the creatin of the superhero show, the gawdawful acquisition of ECW, yes, they believe in the stereotypical male scifi fan.

Eureka, however, is probably the most viewer friendly show on the network as it appeals to non-scifi fans as well who would balk at say, hardcore scifi like BSG, but will check out earthbound paranormal/science stuff like X-Files, and Eureka is definitely related more to X-Files than to Stargate....

Comment

Working...
                    X