Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emerson - Colonel or Captain? (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emerson - Colonel or Captain? (Spoilers)

In the beginning of The Pegasus Project, when Emerson told the crew to prepare for atmospheric entry, he called himself "the cpatain" but in fact he's a colonel. If he was implying that he commands the ship then wouldn't it be more appropriate to call himself the commander or the XO? Or is it customary for a USAF commanding officer of a plane/ craft/ spaceship to be called a "captain"?
    "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Originally posted by gkyun
    In the beginning of The Pegasus Project, when Emerson told the crew to prepare for atmospheric entry, he called himself "the cpatain" but in fact he's a colonel. If he was implying that he commands the ship then wouldn't it be more appropriate to call himself the commander or the XO? Or is it customary for a USAF commanding officer of a plane/ craft/ spaceship to be called a "captain"?
    Accordind to the navy regulations if you are the superior officer assigned on the ship then you are the Captain of that ship regaurdless of rank. Emerson is a colonel by rank but he is the captain of his ship too.

If you have not yet voted for Stargate SG1's own President Henry Hayes, please do so now at this URL below. Remember a vote (or 10) for hayes is a vote for Stargate popularity and continuation.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/TVPresidents

Comment

Originally posted by johndoe3815
      Accordind to the navy regulations if you are the superior officer assigned on the ship then you are the Captain of that ship regaurdless of rank. Emerson is a colonel by rank but he is the captain of his ship too.

If you have not yet voted for Stargate SG1's own President Henry Hayes, please do so now at this URL below. Remember a vote (or 10) for hayes is a vote for Stargate popularity and continuation.

Well the problem is that Emerson is an officer of the US Air Force and Odyssey is an USAF space ship (or space craft), not a Navy ship. And different from the Navy, the USAF has a rank of captain which is below colonel. So calling Emerson a captain is like degrading him or something.

PS thanks for the link.

sigpic

Comment

Well the problem is that Emerson is an officer of the US Air Force and Odyssey is an USAF space ship (or space craft), not a Navy ship. And different from the Navy, the USAF has a rank of captain which is below colonel. So calling Emerson a captain is like degrading him or something.

PS thanks for the link.
        Ok, wee disclaimer: I know nothing about how the US Air Force operates, but wouldn't stargate just be making this up? As far as I know the Airforce has no craft which is capable of having a large crew with a 'Captain', or 'Commander' so there is no official thing the Air Force would call these people.

Also, the Navy also have a 'Captain' rank, don't they? (At least they do, according to this http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/...rs/o-rank.html)
        An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Okay lets explain this again. First let me point out that the Navy and The US Air Force has very similiar rankings and rules. When it comes to be a captain of the ship versus the rank of captain, they are two seperate things entirely. So when they call Emerson the captain they are not refering to rank, but are in fact refering to the traditional idea that the commanding officer of any ship that has a crew on it to be the captain of so called ship. And by the way this is the case no matter if you are in the navy, air force, or even a civilian.

Comment

Originally posted by Chutzpah
            Ok, wee disclaimer: I know nothing about how the US Airforce operates, but wouldn't stargate just be making this up? As far as I know the Airforce has no craft which is capable of having a large crew with a 'Captain', or 'Commander'

Also, the Navy also have a 'Captain' rank, don't they? (At least they do, according to this http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/...rs/o-rank.html)
            Yes the Navy do have a rank of Cpatain which is the equivalent of Colonel. And that's how it might cause some confusion as to how to call a commanding officer of a UASF space ship/craft.

sigpic

Comment

Yes the Navy do have a rank of Cpatain which is the equivalent of Colonel. And that's how it might cause some confusion as to how to call a commanding officer of a UASF space ship/craft.
              So you're saying that someone who is above the rank of Captain doesn't captain any Navy ships? That doesn't make much sense to me.
              An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

That would be logical because generals/admirals are usually in command of bases.

Then again an aircraft carrier could be called a base..

But I think Admirals only command battle groups.

Maybe Emmerson thought it'd sound cool to say "this is the captain speaking, we are now landing, local time is 13:00 and a nice shiny sunny sea climate"

Comment

Originally posted by Chutzpah
                  So you're saying that someone who is above the rank of Captain doesn't captain any Navy ships? That doesn't make much sense to me.
                  That's because in the Navy, after Captain you're Rear Admiral, same for Colonel in the Air Force where you'd progress to Brigadier General who commands a division of armed forces and oversees the planning and coordination of a mission. In the Navy when you're an Admiral you don't command a ship, you command a whole fleet.

sigpic

Comment

Actually that is not quite true. Again the rank of Captain in the Navy is most of the time a Colonel rank but it can also be someone with the rank of Major or lieutenant colonel. Reason again is that in some cases the rank of Captain is not based on thier military rank but weather or not they are the commander of thier ship. It is Tradition not actual ranking. So Emerson is a Colonel But he is under tradition the ships captain. So for instance if General Hammond was the regular commander of the ship he would also be the Captain by tradition not by rank. Same thing with lieutenant colonel Samatha Carter, her official rank is that of a lieutenant colonel butshe would also be considered the captain by tradition. And finally the reason why in most cases the Captain on a ship has a higher rank is because an actual Captain is to inexperienced to be in command of so many insubordinates. Usually with a high number of crew thay want someone to be more capable to handle them. That is the reason why the Navy added 2 more ranks to thier military ranking and also why they would do the same on any spaceship of great size no matter what military branch ran it.

Comment

Actually that is not quite true. Again the rank of Captain in the Navy is most of the time a Colonel rank but it can also be someone with the rank of Major or lieutenant colonel. Reason again is that in some cases the rank of Captain is not based on thier military rank but weather or not they are the commander of thier ship. It is Tradition not actual ranking. So Emerson is a Colonel But he is under tradition the ships captain. So for instance if General Hammond was the regular commander of the ship he would also be the Captain by tradition not by rank. Same thing with lieutenant colonel Samatha Carter, her official rank is that of a lieutenant colonel butshe would also be considered the captain by tradition. And finally the reason why in most cases the Captain on a ship has a higher rank is because an actual Captain is to inexperienced to be in command of so many insubordinates. Usually with a high number of crew thay want someone to be more capable to handle them. That is the reason why the Navy added 2 more ranks to thier military ranking and also why they would do the same on any spaceship of great size no matter what military branch ran it.
                      That's interesting. But I've just done some reading on USAF regulations and it seems that the correct term they use for a CO is "Commander", regardless of the post, be it a plane, an installation or hell a spaceship and this applies to the grade of duty, not the rank. The only instance where a CO would be called "Captain" is in the case of the Royal British Air Force. And they don't even call it Captain but Group Captain, which is the equivalent of a Navy captain. Now I don't know anything about the USAF tradition so unless I see some hard evidence I'm going to stick with "Commander".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_captain

http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dynam...fi51%2D604.pdf

sigpic

Comment

Okay again you asked a question and we tried to answer that question but instead of being satisfied or even a little not sure, you have been down right argumentative! So to put this at rest this will be my last post. Once again you have confused the ranking system with a tradition. You will not find your explanation for this traditional idea of the person in charge as being the captain on any military ranking site (IT IS NOT A RANK OF CAPTAIN SO THEREFORE IT WILL NOT BE LISTED. IT IS A COMPLETLEY UNRELATED TRADITION THAT THEPERSON IN CHARGE OF THE SHIP TO BE CALLED CAPTAIN OF SO CALLED SHIP) Now hopefully that has sunk in and you will stop trying to prove me wrong by quoting the ranking system of the US Navy. As for a Commander that is the rank of somene directly underneath the captain and is 2nd in the line of command on a ship. And if you dont believe me look that up. The Officer ranks of the US Navy are follows:

Ensign .................................................vs the Army 2nd Lieutenant
                        Lieutenant Junior Grade ..........................vs the Army 1st Lieutenant
                        Lieutenant ...........................................vs the Army Captain
                        Lieutenant Commander ...........................vs the Army Major
                        Commander ...........................................vs the Army Lieutenant Colonel
                        Captain ................................................vs the Army Colonel
                        Rear Admiral (lower half) ..........................vs the Army Brigadier General
                        Rear Admiral (upper half) ..........................vs the Army Major General
                        Vice Admiral ...........................................vs the Army Lieutenant General
                        Admiral ..................................................vs the Army General
                        Fleet Admiral ...........................................vs the Army General of the Armies

Comment

Emerson calling himself “captain” is probably just another stargate mistake. Just like wier calling walter a sergeant—no one calls a chief “sergeant”! EVER!!

Emerson is the commander of the vessel (flight commander at least). He should have referred to himself as commander.

Comment

I am doing a bit of "rank research" for a story I am writing. - I found this:

http://homepages.shu.ac.uk/~acsdry/ranks.htm
                            Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                            Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Okay again you asked a question and we tried to answer that question but instead of being satisfied or even a little not sure, you have been down right argumentative! So to put this at rest this will be my last post. Once again you have confused the ranking system with a tradition. You will not find your explanation for this traditional idea of the person in charge as being the captain on any military ranking site (IT IS NOT A RANK OF CAPTAIN SO THEREFORE IT WILL NOT BE LISTED. IT IS A COMPLETLEY UNRELATED TRADITION THAT THEPERSON IN CHARGE OF THE SHIP TO BE CALLED CAPTAIN OF SO CALLED SHIP) Now hopefully that has sunk in and you will stop trying to prove me wrong by quoting the ranking system of the US Navy. As for a Commander that is the rank of somene directly underneath the captain and is 2nd in the line of command on a ship. And if you dont believe me look that up. The Officer ranks of the US Navy are follows:

Ensign .................................................vs the Army 2nd Lieutenant
                              Lieutenant Junior Grade ..........................vs the Army 1st Lieutenant
                              Lieutenant ...........................................vs the Army Captain
                              Lieutenant Commander ...........................vs the Army Major
                              Commander ...........................................vs the Army Lieutenant Colonel
                              Captain ................................................vs the Army Colonel
                              Rear Admiral (lower half) ..........................vs the Army Brigadier General
                              Rear Admiral (upper half) ..........................vs the Army Major General
                              Vice Admiral ...........................................vs the Army Lieutenant General
                              Admiral ..................................................vs the Army General
                              Fleet Admiral ...........................................vs the Army General of the Armies
                              I'm sorry if I have offended you in some way. I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything. I'm just trying to raise a discussion. Differences in opinions are the reason why this forum exist - to discuss and maybe to argue peacefully. There's no need to reach a definitive answer to every topic really, as everyone is entitled to his/her own view. To be honest I'm actually glad that you have a view contradict to my own, so that we can look at different sides of the argument.
                              Again my apologies if you feel in any way offended.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X