Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Pegasus Project (spoiler)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Pegasus Project (spoiler)

How exactly did they establish a wormhole connection from the blackhole in pegasus with the stargate next to the supergate? I'm pretty sure it means that they just establisehd a wormhole connection from pegasus to milky way, using standard stargates, without using a ZPM or other power source. I'm not trying to flame the episode; I did watch it twice and there was no mention of a borrowing of Atlantis's ZPM to power the gate from pegasus to dial milky way.

Originally posted by Endeav
    How exactly did they establish a wormhole connection from the blackhole in pegasus with the stargate next to the supergate? I'm pretty sure it means that they just establisehd a wormhole connection from pegasus to milky way, using standard stargates, without using a ZPM or other power source. I'm not trying to flame the episode; I did watch it twice and there was no mention of a borrowing of Atlantis's ZPM to power the gate from pegasus to dial milky way.
    They dialed the coordinates of the planet that no longer exists and was destroyed in the formation of the microsingularity needed for the creation of the supergate. It was powered by the black hole. The black hole could keep the gate powered indefinately.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

If dialing out of a galaxy was as simple as putting a stargate beside a black hole, couldn't they do that in milky way to dial atlantis without using a ZPM?

Comment

Originally posted by Endeav
        If dialing out of a galaxy was as simple as putting a stargate beside a black hole, couldn't they do that in milky way to dial atlantis without using a ZPM?
        Nope. The energy from the Black Hole would maintain the Stargate connection indefinitely, and the gravitational forces would translate through the gate, causing relativistic time dilation and eventually destroy Atlantis. See the SG-1 episode "Matter of Time."
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
          Nope. The energy from the Black Hole would maintain the Stargate connection indefinitely, and the gravitational forces would translate through the gate, causing relativistic time dilation and eventually destroy Atlantis. See the SG-1 episode "Matter of Time."
          And that would definitely not be a good thing.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
            And that would definitely not be a good thing.
            Clearly.

Comment

Clearly.
              Of course, the Wraith would probably have no problem with that though.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

However, as we saw, ships can approach (and therefore probably can go through) gates this close to the black hole, so why do they need the

Spoiler:
                Intergalactic Bridge that they were talking about in Atlantis' Irresistable?

Surely this kind of "easy connection" is more practical. I understand that you'd still need to have the larger Daedelus/Oddysey to ferry the jumpers back and forth, but it'd still save a load of time compared to the 3 weeks that it currently takes... Just find two more black holes (one in each galaxy), and connect from the Milky Way, and voila!

Comment

Call me crazy but something tells me that tooling around close to a black hole isn't really the safest thing to be doing. They'll do it if the situation requires it but I don't think they would want to make it a regular habit. Plus I'm not sure a smaller ship like a jumper could handle the area as well as a larger ship could.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                    Call me crazy but something tells me that tooling around close to a black hole isn't really the safest thing to be doing. They'll do it if the situation requires it but I don't think they would want to make it a regular habit. Plus I'm not sure a smaller ship like a jumper could handle the area as well as a larger ship could.
                    Quite right. The Odyssey never not as close to the black hole as the Stargate did (not by a long shot). Emerson himself said that they were in a dangerous enough position as it was staying at maximum transporter range. A puddlejumper would be torn apart by gravitational forces.

Comment

I was wondering about this intergalactic bridge of stargates. What would be the adress of the stargates between the 2 galaxies? I thought you needed a planet in the area to dial the gate?

Lantia home of Atlantis, Lost City of the Ancients

Anyone else going Portsmouth University in the summer?

Comment

According to Nerus in Off the Grid, the gate transmits its new position to the entire gate network as part of the automatic correlative update program. You just probably just need to stay in one relative area.

Comment

Originally posted by Keffler
                          I was wondering about this intergalactic bridge of stargates. What would be the adress of the stargates between the 2 galaxies? I thought you needed a planet in the area to dial the gate?
                          No, you don't need a planet to have an address. The address is relative to the position of the gate within the galaxy, not the planet its on. By means of extended extrapolation, the same coordinate system used within the galaxy will work outside the galaxy as well. It is why the stargate network can dial outside the galaxy. The same method applies here as well. Neither planets nor stars themselves directly determine a stargates address. They move, and over many thousands to millions of years a stargates address changes anyways. There is something however that does NOT change. A virtual pan-galactic grid that uses the symbols on the gate as indicators when targeting other gates. That grid allows stargates to have the same address no matter where someone is dialing in from. Otherwise, every stargate would have a different address depending on every other gate you might dial in from. Meaning each gate would potentially have thousands of different addresses just to reach that one gate. It isn't feasible. All the gates must have a single standared, and the virtual pan-galactic grid provides that. Certainly addresses change over time, but not for many millenia at a time. The star positions change, but the grid itself doesn't. It also allows you target gates outside the galaxy.

Spoiler:

Hopefully, the illustration above might help.
                          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

This is in no way, shape or form a slam to the people on this board. Just thought I'd say that first. You guys are fantastic! You have put a ton of thought into this show. I have never even considered any of this. Well done. I'm in awe.

Comment

Working...
                            X