This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Holes and Time PP Spoilers

one thing i cant quite understand from the PP ep. was how was it possible at the end of the ep, when they fly around the blackhole then slingshot back out using its gravity? according to science and whatever physics we know about black holes, doing such a thing would also transport them forward or backwards through time. however this was not the case in the episode. did the writers just forget about that lil tidbit? or am i not seeing something?

Originally posted by daniel9
    one thing i cant quite understand from the PP ep. was how was it possible at the end of the ep, when they fly around the blackhole then slingshot back out using its gravity? according to science and whatever physics we know about black holes, doing such a thing would also transport them forward or backwards through time. however this was not the case in the episode. did the writers just forget about that lil tidbit? or am i not seeing something?
    It couldn't send them back in time, time would probably just be passing slower where they were compared to us...

Comment

Let me ask you something, do you really want another time travel ep?

Perfecto!

Comment

Because the force of gravity is proportional to 1/r^2 which means it gets weaker the further away we are from it. We have black holes in the Milky Way, and binary systems are orbiting around a central point. The Odyssey didn't go into the event horizon (the point at which light cannot escape). They stayed a safe distance away so they could escape the black hole's gravity. The time dilation effect only means they age slower than say Weir and the Atlantis team. It's impossible to travel backwards in time unless the mass is imaginary and or, from my limited understanding of blackholes, within the event horizon of the blackhole. But that kind of physics is just a theory as its impossible to know what happens inside the event horizon.

Comment

Such results can only be acomplished if carefully planned out and travelling at speeds grater than c, and it does not need to be gravity that does it either!
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=9
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=18
          Originally posted by Jonzey
          Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

I would say the real question is why did both ends (Odyssey and Teal'c) hear the other's voice come in slower? One should have heard the voice come in slowly, but the other should have heard the voice come in quickly (I'm thinking Teal'c should be heard talking fast, and he should hear Odyssey talking slowly)
            Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

Originally posted by jebus
              I would say the real question is why did both ends (Odyssey and Teal'c) hear the other's voice come in slower? One should have heard the voice come in slowly, but the other should have heard the voice come in quickly (I'm thinking Teal'c should be heard talking fast, and he should hear Odyssey talking slowly)
              Actually any transmission passing close to the blackhole would red-shift, causing (I imagine) the slow down.

But eitherway, it's a TV show, not a NOVA documentary. So for all I care they could all sound like Darth Vader.

Comment

Actually you can see the time distortion in the episode, right? when they sling around everything gets all slow and distorted and then speeds back up.
                MASSIVE SPOIERS TO FOLLOW: READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
                Spoiler:
                Snape kills Dumbledore
                Spoiler:
                Darth Vader is Luke's Father
                Spoiler:
                Rosebud is a sled
                Spoiler:
                Bruce Willis' character was a ghost
                Spoiler:
                The planet of the apes is actually Earth
                Spoiler:
                The two guys in Fight Club are the same guy
                Spoiler:
                Clark Kent is Superman
                Spoiler:
                What? You were expecting Stargate Spoilers?

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time for no good reason.

Comment

isn't there a singularity by the supergate as well?
                  if so shouldn't both of their voices sounded the same to each other?

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni
                    Actually any transmission passing close to the blackhole would red-shift, causing (I imagine) the slow down.

But eitherway, it's a TV show, not a NOVA documentary. So for all I care they could all sound like Darth Vader.
                    Well, if a transmissiom travels from a position of low gravity (far from the black hole) to a position of high gravity (close to the black hole) it will blueshift, but a transmission from a position of high gravity to a position of low gravity will redshift. In fact this is the only problem I have with PP, and I fully admit that in terms of the story, it is a very minor problem, but seeing as this is the internet, its worth pointing out

Edited to correct *cough* minor error, yes, minor...
                    Last edited by jebus; 31 July 2006, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jebus
                      Well, if a transmissiom travels from a position of low gravity (far from the black hole) to a position of high gravity (close to the black hole) it will redshift, but a transmission from a position of high gravity to a position of low gravity will blueshift. In fact this is the only problem I have with PP, and I fully admit that in terms of the story, it is a very minor problem, but seeing as this is the internet, its worth pointing out
                      First of all, shouldn't it be the other way around? Travelling away from the source of gravity causes red shift and travelling toward it causes blue shift.

Second, given that we know nothing how stargate operations, I simply assumed the scenario as if two ships on opposite sides of the blackhole talking to each other. Therefore red shift on both sides.

This is based on the premise that both ship are at equivalent minimum safe distances from the blackhole (or its effects). In order for Teal'C's transmission to blue shift, Oddyssy would have to be between the gate and the hole, which isn't the case. Conversely, transmission from Pegasus would red shift as it exits the gate due to the gravity pull (if we consider what happened last time they gated to a blackhole on SGC's end).

Comment

First of all, shouldn't it be the other way around? Travelling away from the source of gravity causes red shift and travelling toward it causes blue shift.
                        Yes, I dont know what I was thinking there... oops

Second, given that we know nothing how stargate operations, I simply assumed the scenario as if two ships on opposite sides of the blackhole talking to each other. Therefore red shift on both sides.

This is based on the premise that both ship are at equivalent minimum safe distances from the blackhole (or its effects). In order for Teal'C's transmission to blue shift, Oddyssy would have to be between the gate and the hole, which isn't the case. Conversely, transmission from Pegasus would red shift as it exits the gate due to the gravity pull (if we consider what happened last time they gated to a blackhole on SGC's end).
                        The cause of this redshift is that time will be progressing at different rates for both ships, which would inevitably lead to one signal being blueshifted. The scenario of 2 ships communicating at equal distances from the black hole, but on different ends, would result in no net redshifting or blueshifting

Comment

Working...
                        X