X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Things (PP spoilers)

SPOILERS FOR THE PEGASUS PROJECT

Ok, first of all, I loved Pegasus Project. It was one of my favorite SG-1 episodes.

But...

So the Asguard can lend a ship to ferry Weir and Woolsey, but not SG-1 to Atlantis when every day counts since more Ori ships could come through at any time? Or, if the Odyssey had to be there, isn't it still faster for an Asguard ship to tractor a ship and fly with it then just flying at our normal speed?

Also, did I miss something? Since when can we remote dial gates? I hope this isn't forgotten because we should NEVER have an episode where the DHD is broken so we are trapped. I realize the jumpers and whatnot can remote dial, but now we can too. I guess since we figured it out, that'd explain how Apophis was able to get out the mountain in the pilot (besides manual dialing). Could we work this tech into the GDO? Or even another portable device?

Sorry, if I missed the thread where these points were brought up!

28 views and no comments? That's cool.

Comment

Its been shown since the episode 1969 that we'd eventually develope the technology to remote dial a stargate, when future Cassandra did it.

We're a long way from the tech she had in that episode, but after 2 years of studying jumpers, 10 years studying DHD/stargate tech and likelly 2 years of having the ancients own design schematics for all three devices from the Atlantis Database, it was nice to see us finally make some progress in that area.

Being able to remote dail could have lots of valuable uses, especially durring combat, but I'd guess we're still a few years away from having a hand-held remote dial device.

Comment

I don't think there was any real dialing involved actually. Note in the episode how they made mention of begining the process of establishing the outgoing wormhole? But then Carter said this might take awhile due to the time dialation of the blackhole? Yet it only took 30-40 seconds on screen?

They're already reprograming gate crystals. I infer from what little was said that both the standard gates used in Pegasus Project were programed to connect only to eachother, not the rest of the network. And that is entirely possible, if the SGC is now programing the crystals in question.

After that, it would only take a signal to activate the gate. Since it is off the network now however and could only dial one gate, there's no need for it to dial anymore. Since the gate was closer to the Blackhole then the Oddessy (therefore operating slower then the ship) and yet it took all of 30-40 seconds to dial that gate, I believe that 30-40 seconds is to short a period of time for a full 8 cheveron dialling sequence on a Milkyway 1st Gen gate (we're not talking about a Pegasus digital gate). So, it was an on-off gate. No dial and engage.

As for what the Asgard are up to. After the opening of the season... I think it's obvious to everyone, including Stargate Command, that confronting the Ori is not wise, therefore eliminating the need for Earth vessels to do anything more then participate in support and courier dutties. Afterall, if the Ori decided to attack Earth. What good would a single 304 be? Instead of keeping the vessel around to cool it's heels in the Milkyway, why not assign it to an endeavor that might actually be more productive? And why would we badger the Asgard for another ship to run a courier run to Pegasus while we could do it just as easily and without calling on their services? I'm sure they're just as busy if not busier then the Tau'ri.

Comment

Those docking clamps in Odyssey's bay were probably similar to the power clamp SGC uses. And who wants to see a dialing any more? It was fun the first 3 seasons, then all you wanted to see was cool stuff like the activation and funky stuff happening.
          When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
          Zatnikitelman

Comment

I understand how we could have remote dialing tech by this point, but what powers the gate just floating in space? on earth we hook the gate up to electric clamps, and on other planets it's the DHD crystals right? so where does a space gate get power from?
            MASSIVE SPOIERS TO FOLLOW: READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
            Spoiler:
            Snape kills Dumbledore
            Spoiler:
            Darth Vader is Luke's Father
            Spoiler:
            Rosebud is a sled
            Spoiler:
            Bruce Willis' character was a ghost
            Spoiler:
            The planet of the apes is actually Earth
            Spoiler:
            The two guys in Fight Club are the same guy
            Spoiler:
            Clark Kent is Superman
            Spoiler:
            What? You were expecting Stargate Spoilers?

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time for no good reason.

Comment

The typical Pegasus Space Gate gets power from it's 3 nodes (which also seem to be recievers for remote dialing). They had the Stargate in Pegasus Project running off the black hole's power (somehow).

Maybe naquadah gets charge from the friction created by tidal forces as well.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyalcapones
                I understand how we could have remote dialing tech by this point, but what powers the gate just floating in space? on earth we hook the gate up to electric clamps, and on other planets it's the DHD crystals right? so where does a space gate get power from?
                Gravity.
                School is overrated.

Comment

The gate got charged up and dialed in the Oddisey, then released. Like Carter said, gate can store huge amounts of energy in the naquadah.

Comment

Hmz , either that big honkin black hole or we inserted a few AA batteries, pick the one more likely

Comment

I'm not too sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but there's been a niggling question that's been at the back of my head all day: If a black hole can maintain a wormhole connection with the supergate indefinitely, why did the Ori disconnect from their end (in F&B) in the first place? That strikes me as kinda asking us to stuff around with it...

Comment

Perhaps they have multiple supergates on their end, depending on where in the galaxy the reinforcements come from (and which galaxy).

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor
                          Perhaps they have multiple supergates on their end, depending on where in the galaxy the reinforcements come from (and which galaxy).
                          That would be my guess since it has been stated that the Ori have ships in 6 different galaxies. 1 supergate back home with one more in each galaxy they invade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrius
                            The typical Pegasus Space Gate gets power from it's 3 nodes (which also seem to be recievers for remote dialing). They had the Stargate in Pegasus Project running off the black hole's power (somehow).

Maybe naquadah gets charge from the friction created by tidal forces as well.
                            Naqadah gets its charge from neutrinos.
                            Originally posted by anonymous Ben
                            That would be my guess since it has been stated that the Ori have ships in 6 different galaxies. 1 supergate back home with one more in each galaxy they invade.
                            That was a misprint. The Ori had invaded six more planets.
                            Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                            Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                            -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous Ben
                              Ships in 6 galaxies?
                              You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Working...
                              X