Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC-303/304 Commanders - How much I do not like Emerson!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC-303/304 Commanders - How much I do not like Emerson!!

So anyways I was watching the recent SG1 episode, "The Pegasus Project"

It was amazing.

But you gotta see though, if those of you watch Atlantis, Caudwell is WAY better commander than Emerson.

When they battled the Wraith Hive ship, they were thinking things on the spot, no strategy, no thought.

When Caudwell fights the wraith, he strategizes and knows what hes doing.

I gotta say, its a fluke that the Odyssey didn't get blown up too.
    Subspace Energy Technology Thread
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Originally posted by McSwift
    Caudwell is WAY better commander than Emerson.

When they battled the Wraith Hive ship, they were thinking things on the spot, no strategy, no thought.

That is just the difference between an unextected battle that developes in moments, and a pre-planned assault that happens hours, our days after planning begins. Caldwell didn't do so good in his first few engagements, but he is learning. Emerson and company did just fine in the heat of the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift
      So anyways I was watching the recent SG1 episode, "The Pegasus Project"

It was amazing.

But you gotta see though, if those of you watch Atlantis, Caudwell is WAY better commander than Emerson.

I gotta say, its a fluke that the Odyssey didn't get blown up too.
      I may not agree to the same degree, but yeah...Caudwell is an excellent ship commander. Emerson feels out of place from the rest of the action, kinda takes away from the momentum and flow of the space scenes/battles. I don't know what it is exactly about his character...mabey that's it, he seems out of character. It's nothing I can't get past, though.

"Nu Ani Anquiatus."

Comment

In my opinion, Emerson is the best commander of one of Earth's Battleships yet. Ronson had problems with authority *cough*babysitters*cough* Pendergast was sort of cowardice (though he did go down with Prometheus, gotta give him credit for that), Caldwell wants everyone to get out of his way because HE is the commander, and Checkov was well...Checkov. They were all great commanders, but I personally consider Emerson to be the best so far. No offense is intended to the wonderful cast and/or the characters they portray in the show.
        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
        Zatnikitelman

Comment

I rather like Emerson, he has the more friendly of the demeanors, and Caldwell, well, he has the more by the book demeanor. Either way, Emerson rocks. He also seems to be pretty loyal to Earth, and I like that. He was also one to take risks, when they decided to go Star Trek The Voyage Home on the Black Hole.
          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

I don't like either of them...but I could grow to like Emmerson...he's just a bit bland just now
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I agree Emerson is pretty much a doormat for SG-1... He didn't even give permission for McCay/Carter to use the bomb at max power. He had to look at Mitchell for approval.

Pendergast was the best, in that he was his own man and helped SG-1 in all their missions. Right now however... Caldwell takes the cake as the best ship commander we have.

Hands down ... bar none!!

Ace
              "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                I agree Emerson is pretty much a doormat for SG-1... He didn't even give permission for McCay/Carter to use the bomb at max power. He had to look at Mitchell for approval.

Pendergast was the best, in that he was his own man and helped SG-1 in all their missions. Right now however... Caldwell takes the cake as the best ship commander we have.

Hands down ... bar none!!

Ace
                I think that was becuase of the mission. It was a scientific/technical op and Emerson let the PROFESSIONALS handle it. Anyway he took lots of risks and followed advice of the people would have been doing this stuff a lot longer than he has. And when the Wraith attacked he took over and did his job.

I like Cauldwell too, he's just the kind of calm, cool disciplanarian (sp?) Atlantis needs to be a 'voice of reason/sense/no biased opinion/etc' and to keep Atlantis's discipline from going the way of the dodo whiel they're all in another galaxy.

Comment

I would say that one of the main reasons why Emerson was a little 'off' against a wraith hive would be that he's never gone up against one before remember his domain has allways been the milky way so far with what that entails so fighting wraith could be quite different which is something I in his position would take into serious consideration.

as for who's better... personally I would do a better job under Emerson Cauldwell is way to unbending and strict, makes him unreachable to the people under him in a way which in turn makes his desicions unquestionable whether or not they are the best desicions at the time (that is if you are a crewman on his ship) even though he seemingly has a brilliant strategic mind and would probably fair better in a battle than Emerson, given the evidence so far.
                  That is to say he's more of a frontline comander if you ask me

In conclusion: I like em both.

(also we only have 2 ship comanders now sadly so it's not like there's all that much competition any more)

P.S.
                  I really didn't like Ronson

Comment

Yes, well this was the Oddessy's frist attack from the Wraith, and many of there systems are not working. Give him a break. Im not saying you are wrong or right, but you should give him a break for that.
                    Save SG-1! Sign the Petition!
                    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Originally posted by CountBelasarius
                      I think that was becuase of the mission. It was a scientific/technical op and Emerson let the PROFESSIONALS handle it. Anyway he took lots of risks and followed advice of the people would have been doing this stuff a lot longer than he has. And when the Wraith attacked he took over and did his job.
                      You know I would be willing to believe that... if after Carter said something along the lines of "I think it's our best shot..." he nodded in approval and said "alright let's do it".

He would then be defering to the expertise of Carter on McKay's plan which was about to endager the ship and the lives of his crew on the ship.

However he didn't do that... instead he just nodded and then turned to Mitchell as if to say "Ok... Give us the go-ahead". It just seems that he doesn't know his place...

He is a half grade above Mitchell, he doesn't need his approval of what to do or not to do on his ship. After Carter agreed that was the best thing to do, he should have taken the initiative and said "Let's do it".

But he didn't... Caldwell on the other hand, has made it clear through both words and actions that he is a half grade above Sheppard. It's his ship... his call. His very character, actions & words expel leadership.

I really don't think there is even a comparison between the two in terms of who is the better commander. This is of course, all just my opinion.

But if I had to choose who I would want to lead me into combat, right now there is nobody I would choose over Colonel Caldwell.

Ace

Comment

As for that whole deferring to Mitchell thing, there is such thing as MISSION Commander and SHIP Commander. Sometimes same people, usually different. Mitchell was most likely incharge of the mission to jump the wormhole, but Emerson was incharge of his ship. Ultimately Mitchell, rank non-withstanding, appeared to be the one who made the decisions as to how the mission proceeded. To bring it down a level or two, Emerson (!!) tells the ship (through teh helmsperson) where to go, but not how to do and does not do it himself. Like Emerson might say go to Atlantis, but it is, Marks isn't it, who enters in the helm commands and decides how to best comply with the order. Emerson on this particular mission was simply verifying that they could expend their two las purpose built nukes on this aspect of the mission and would still comply with the ultimate goal.
                        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                        Zatnikitelman

Comment

Actually, for the most part, I like Emerson so far. To those who don't like him very much, give him a little more time to grow as a character.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman
                            As for that whole deferring to Mitchell thing, there is such thing as MISSION Commander and SHIP Commander.
                            That's the most likely explanation there is for why Emerson is constantly deferring to Mitchell every time we see him. However I would argue that Caldwell gets suggestions from Sheppard but never defers to him as to what to do with his ship.

My take... and that's all that it is

Ace

Comment

I think both Caldwell and Emerson are good commanders they just have different command styles. I like Caldwell for his command presence which comes in real handy when you are fighting a enemy like the wraith. You cant knock Emerson down though. I think the thing I like about Emerson the best is when the Ori came out of the supergate and Sparks told him they were powering weapons he said "Here we go, all batteries open fire" before any of the other ships fired. He knew it was important to get the frist strike in. Again when Sparks told him the sublight engines were down towards the end of the battle he said "forget the engines, give them everything weve got". This shows even though he doesnt share the same mentality as Caldwell he knows what has to be done. In the end they are both capable commanders with different leadership style but at the end of the day they both have the skills to get the mission done.

Comment

Working...
                              X