X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheyenne Mountain To Be Closed

From the Denver Post (Denver, CO):

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_4103479

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Article Launched: 07/27/2006 07:03:00 PM MDT

Cheyenne Mountain timeline

A timeline of key events in Cheyenne Mountain's history:

Early 1950s - The Cold War with the Soviet Union leads U.S. authorities to find a place where military warning facilities could survive a nuclear attack.

1958 - The U.S. and Canada establish the North American Air Defense Command (NORAD) to monitor and defend North American airspace from attack.

1959 - Cheyenne Mountain is selected for the NORAD command site.

1961 - Excavation and construction work begin. More than 693,000 tons of granite is removed from the mountain. Eventually, 15 buildings, some mounted on springs, are constructed behind 30-ton blast doors, 1,400 feet inside the mountain.

1966 - The NORAD Operations Center inside the mountain becomes fully operational.

1979 - A simulation of a large Soviet missile attack is mistakenly interpreted as real by Cheyenne Mountain personnel and almost leads to a massive launch of U.S. nuclear missiles before the error is detected.

1981 - NORAD changes its name to North American Aerospace Defense Command. The Air Force starts computer system upgrades at an estimated cost of $968 million.

1983 - The hit sci-fi movie "WarGames," starring Matthew Broderick and set at NORAD, is released. It is one of several Hollywood productions that have used Cheyenne Mountain as a setting, including the films "Sum of all Fears" and "Deep Impact" and TV's "Stargate SG-1."

**major snippage**

Sources: Denver Post archives, www.norad.mil, www.afspc.af.mil, GAO, The Associated Press, Answers.com.

All contents Copyright 2006 The Denver Post

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

It's official people uor beloved base will be shutting down....I caught it on the news this morning (more like my mom woke me up) and personaly I was more suprised that Taylor Hicks was going to the white house...but none the less....here is the link

NEWS

Comment

I wonder if this will change anything on the show. Like, will they work it into the plot somehow? It could be pretty cool, they could get a nice new base specifically built with the gate in mind. But it would be weird to see SG-1 take place somewhere other than Cheyenne Mountain.

Comment

I wonder... will the show follow this and have Cheyennne Mountain close on SG-1?
        Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
        encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
        3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
        4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
        5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by allaboutthegate
          Thanks for the link.
          Thats a shame.
          They're closing it

ha...only in my little dream world

Comment

Hehe... will there be a big new flash around the world soon? Lol
            no...they're *wink* closing down thw whole thing (just to fool our people....we really will be continuing off-world travels at Cheyenne....the public will think it's closed....so the gate styas protected)

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle_Jumper_One
              It's official people uor beloved base will be shutting down....I caught it on the news this morning (more like my mom woke me up) and personaly I was more suprised that Taylor Hicks was going to the white house...but none the less....here is the link

NEWS
              Who is Taylor Hicks?

Meanwhile, I guess we had to pay for the tax cuts to the wealthy somewhere, so the military is taking the hits (there was big article in the press recently on how the Army is cutting back because of lack of money).

At least the gov't isn't stupid enough to sell it off to a real estate developer

Comment

Report: Military Closing Mountain Complex

The military is virtually closing the secretive defense complex carved into Cheyenne Mountain that for decades has monitored North American skies for threats, a newspaper reported.

The Denver Post reported late Thursday that the North American Aerospace Defense Command operations center will be moved to nearby Peterson Air Force Base, which is home to the U.S. Northern Command created after the Sept. 11 attacks.

NORAD, a joint U.S. and Canadian command, was set up in the 1960s to monitor the skies for threats like missiles, aircraft and space objects.

http://kevxml2a.infospace.com/info.n...feed=ap&more=1
                Not that this has any real effect on the show, but it is somewhat interesting. Seems a shame to let all that cool space go to watse.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Ah well they can't fool us can they? But I think it best if the gate stays protected...imagine if that news hit the world shheessh!
                  we are both talking as if it's really real.....trippy.....

Comment

it a cover for the real program
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                      Who is Taylor Hicks?
                      the latest America idol
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                        the latest America idol
                        Ah, okay. Sorry, name was psuedo familiar but I don't watch reality shows and try to avoid all the drively news on them

Comment

Hmmm...stopping would be good idea methinks....
                          But it is real! Mwah ha ha Kidding!
                          It's is real. I do belive in Stargate I do I Do
                          this is why I scored Major Geek

Comment

Isn't it weird they're keeping it on standby ready to be brought back online within the hour?

I guess the SGC needed more space

Comment

Wonder how they'll track Santa this year

LOL only kidding

It's a shame the base is shutting could they not even find an alternative use? Don't ask me what the alternatives are, but it just seems silly to leave an entire hollowed out mountain empty.
                              sigpic
                              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Working...
                              X