Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renewing SG-1 for S10 was a no brainer....but S11?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewing SG-1 for S10 was a no brainer....but S11?

(Just to start off.....I hope SG-1 makes it to season 15)

I mean they renewed it because they wanted to break the record previously established by X-files....to basically have bragging rights. Also, the ratings were about steady with S8 (or maybe a tiny bit down).

But now with Season 10 airing, is there any GOOD bussiness reason to renew SG-1 for another year? Ratings have started to fall, and they already have the longest running sci-fi show record. I dont know, but the ratings' fall might lead to less of a profit for SG-1 merchandise.

Do the low ratings mean a lack of interest in SG-1? I hope they go ahead with a season 11...but things are looking to bright at the moment

I think we'll get a Season 11. Breaking a record is nice. But setting that new record even higher is better. Plus, I truly believe the ratings will rebound steadily over the next few weeks. I think this show is far from done with.

On another note, this show helped make Sci-Fi what it is. They may be coming up with some decent programming finally, but I think it will take something really special to replace SG-1. And I don't think Sci-Fi has that something just yet.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

not if ratings don't go up
      A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyFox
        not if ratings don't go up
        Personally, I'm still optimistic that they will.
        sigpic
        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
          On another note, this show helped make Sci-Fi what it is. They may be coming up with some decent programming finally, but I think it will take something really special to replace SG-1. And I don't think Sci-Fi has that something just yet.

Without SG-1, SciFi would just be showing its reruns of older shows and bad horror films more often. The show raised the channel's profile, and if the channel does not treat the show well, the channel's emerging reputation could be damaged. Right now, Scifi would be stupid to cancel the shows when it has so few programs that pull in viewers.

Eureka is new, so we'll see what it can do. I was not impressed, but others might be.

BSG is ok for some, not for me, and while it has an eager following, its ratings aren't reason to remove SG-1.

SGA is doing ok, but again, it still needs the support of its sister show right now.

Beyond that, what does SciFi really have? Tripping the Rift has as much love as hate mail, Ghost Hunters doesn't appear to have people in arms over any rumors that it might be canceled, and the channel can't claim the success of Dr. Who. It wasn't their creation.

A few of the new shows simply look frightening, i.e. this new superhero thing with "real" people. I'm ok if I never have to see the commercial with that guy's behind again.

SciFi would be stupid to cancel SG-1. The problem is that SciFi is not a network known for intelligent decisions.
          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
            SciFi would be stupid to cancel SG-1. The problem is that SciFi is not a network known for intelligent decisions.
            You're right, they're not. I just hope they are intelligent about this decision. SG-1 should definitely get a Season 11. And SGA should definitely get a Season 4. They are still high-profile shows for this network.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

How bad are the ratings anyway???

I'm positive they must be at least on par with ratings from the first few seasons... And if they weren't counted as good ratings then they would never have renewed Stargate at all...

It feels as if Stargate is growing and growing and growing! both the series/s plots, ideas, and cult following!!! I even heard a rumour of a second spin off show... (haha, CSI: Stargate)
              Vows are spoken
              To be broken
              Feelings are intense
              Words are trivial
              Pleasures remain
              So does the pain
              Words are meaningless
              And forgettable

All I ever wanted
              All I ever needed
              Is here in my arms
              Words are very unnecessary
              They can only do harm

Comment

Originally posted by Morgasshk

I'm positive they must be at least on par with ratings from the first few seasons... And if they weren't counted as good ratings then they would never have renewed Stargate at all...

It feels as if Stargate is growing and growing and growing! both the series/s plots, ideas, and cult following!!! I even heard a rumour of a second spin off show... (haha, CSI: Stargate)
                For the premieres this season, SG-1 scored a 1.4, and SGA a 1.5. Not the best.

For this past week, the ratings were up slightly. SG-1 rose to a 1.6, and SGA tied it with a 1.6 as well.

So things are improving at the moment.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by Morgasshk

You have a point. I want to say that Season 6 and parts of 7 averaged at 1.1 and 1.2. That used to be considered wonderful.
                  "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Season 11 is something that I hope happens so much. SO MORE PEOPLE WATCH!

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
                      The problem is that SciFi is not a network known for intelligent decisions.
                      i have to agree ... but sci fi does not get final say.. its owned by NBC . .and that is their biggest problem, NBC is dragging sci fi way down with of all things getting put on sci fi is that ecw wrestling crap. what does that have to do with sci fi? nada .. it should of been put on something like upn.

Eureka seems to have a strong start, but it will be tested in the following weeks

i also have to agree with all who say that stargate is what's keeping scifi afloat, without SG appearing there on season 7 they would be airing re-runs of the guyver movies and that japanese flying turtle

it's certianly not in their best interest to cancle either SG show nor BSG. i just hope with the newer shows comming on they dont push back SG.

on the ratings concern, they have dropped a lot before in the past several times, and it only came back bigger better and stronger before with more fan base. i have a feeling it will happen again. this happens everytime a show makes a big plot change. its nothing to worry about. and besides .. from an interview i read not long ago, when filming for the first eppisode of S10 was going on .. the main cast was talking about what they wanna do in S14-17

the ori story could go on for a few seasons if not another 8. but i have a small fear the sangraal may have been brought up a bit too soon. now fans and critics will just be lurking and waiting for it, and if they dont see it anytime soon, the critics will start with complaints in reviews and kill the show
                      Last edited by The.Prior.of.The.Ori; 26 July 2006, 11:10 PM.
                      SAVE SG-1
                      www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.
                      Say No To The Six Month Hiatus

Comment

As word gets out more that the new Stargate seasons are kicking ass, ratings ought to go up some more. Though i get the impression from that article about Eureka's ratings that GateWorld published that the value of a SciFi rating point has gone up again. If that's correct, the number of actual viewers might be holding closer to what it was last season.

Of course, if they can figure out how to better recognize the huge geek fanbase who gets the show by assorted delayed viewing means, they might find the numbers to be much strong. I for one work Friday nights, and have to resort to recording the show. Seriously, they need a three am re-showing.

I think I'm getting of the opinion that they ought to renew SG-1 for one more year, and promptly promote the hell out of it as "The Final Season". Then roll that into a new movie (not DevlinGate!!!!!), another spinoff, and increased visibility for Atlantis.

a time to mourn

Comment

Isn't it logical the first ep had low ratings?

Since people would tend to forget SG1 airs again, and the other 2 were kinda "less", so I'd imagine a re-run would get good ratings

Comment

I'm not going to pass judgement just yet. I hope that there's a season 11. But there shouldn't be a season 11 unless season 10 has the quality to justify it. So far season 10 has been good (Morpheus was a little dissapointing), but we're only two episodes into the season and there's every chance that the quality could go downhill fast. I believe in the PTB and their ability and I think that season 10's quality will most likely improve dramatically from its already good form and I think that it will justify its own continued existence, but it must justify its own continued existence or SciFi will be doing it a disservice.

Comment

There is a lot of talk about Nielson etc.... but there is a way for anyone to give their input by particpating in NBC Universal's surveys.

A box is not the only way they judge a show/channels performance. The box maybe what drives the live rating numbers but put your 2 cents worth by being apart of the panel.

I was e-mailed a survery but you can get there on-line. Now I am one of those that do not think we will get even all of S10 but that is neither here nor there.

I leave you the link to the surveys:
                              http://www4.rresults.com/nbc/screene...TOKEN=73027046

Comment

Working...
                              X