Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people believe a single event can't change a person?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do people believe a single event can't change a person?

A lot of anti- people continually cry about Vala and how her character has either no honor, is nothing but a slut, or should be compared to a Goa'uld rather then Teal'c. They feel that since she's done terrible things in the past, then this translates to her being an awful person who cannot change. But can't one major event change a person?

In The Powers to Be, we learn Vala had subjucated an entire community to serve her needs - mining and basically using them as slave labor. From what we saw, no one died during her rule (not as the Goa'uld, but as herself), and while at first she still saw nothing wrong in what she did (she's a thief, what can we say?), her character finally evolved. When she saw all those people dying, and that she could do absolutely nothing to save them...

... Vala changed.

The slutty, morally corrupt Vala began to fade away. While bits and pieces of that older self still remain in the way she acts, she changed. From the moment she opened fire on the Prior, she was different. And that difference was very evident in Beachhead, where she sacrificed herself to stop the Ori Supergate.

I know some people continue to roll their eyes, but I applaud Vala. I believe in redemption, and I saw the change in the character that made her first appearance by stealing the Prometheus and kidnapping Daniel.

While others continue to hate Vala, I will continue to enjoy both her and the actress playing her.

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
    A lot of anti- people continually cry about Vala and how her character has either no honor, is nothing but a slut, or should be compared to a Goa'uld rather then Teal'c. They feel that since she's done terrible things in the past, then this translates to her being an awful person who cannot change. But can't one major event change a person?

In The Powers to Be, we learn Vala had subjucated an entire community to serve her needs - mining and basically using them as slave labor. From what we saw, no one died during her rule (not as the Goa'uld, but as herself), and while at first she still saw nothing wrong in what she did (she's a thief, what can we say?), her character finally evolved. When she saw all those people dying, and that she could do absolutely nothing to save them...

... Vala changed.

The slutty, morally corrupt Vala began to fade away. While bits and pieces of that older self still remain in the way she acts, she changed. From the moment she opened fire on the Prior, she was different. And that difference was very evident in Beachhead, where she sacrificed herself to stop the Ori Supergate.

I know some people continue to roll their eyes, but I applaud Vala. I believe in redemption, and I saw the change in the character that made her first appearance by stealing the Prometheus and kidnapping Daniel.

While others continue to hate Vala, I will continue to enjoy both her and the actress playing her.
    Nice post. And I completely agree. Plus, if you read/listen to the interview with Claudia at Gateworld's main page, she explains one thing from The Ties That Bind episode, the scene which was cut unfortunately, but as far as I recall they're talking about it in the commentary for this episode on DVD: Vala DID NOT have sex with Arlos. She got him very drunk and made him think they had sex.
    Vala is my absolutely favourite on the show. But it's Claudia who is playing her so wonderfully
    T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

I agree! Her character has developed rapidly over a very short period of time. But I think her real value comes in with her snarky comments and innuendo. The overtones that result are... -blushes- Rather adult and amusing. You all have to admit she is hillarious on her own, and her interaction with Daniel is priceless!

Comment

I think the problem is people can't relate to her character. We can kinda relate to Sam, Cam, Jack and Daniel because they're just ordinary people with a job to do. Some people can relate to Teal'c because most people have felt at some point that they want to completely turn their life around (''switching sides'' as it were) and try to do the right thing.

The problem with Vala is there is no right and wrong for her character, but rather a big, blurry line. I think that that makes her a harder character to relate to. On one hand she lies and cheats and steals, but then she's only doing that because she needs to to survive. But now since meeting SG1, she's starting to get a clearer picture of where she stands and what she has to do. The line is becoming less blurred, but it still a little hazy- for example in Morpheus
        Spoiler:
        I actually thought for a moment that she would take up Woolsey's offer

But that to me is what makes her character to great- she has a sort of dynamic unpredictability which can make you want her to do the right thing, but still be left uncertain of whether or not she will do it. Of course, we never had much of that with the other characters- some eps like Shades of Grey (or gray, whichever) or when Teal'c goes back to being first prime. But for them we knew they'd come through in the end and had a reason for their actions. I never once thought Teal'c would go back to working for the enemy, because good and bad was so clear cut. But with the new galaxy (post-Goa'uld) the line has become a lot more blurred and there are people out for themselves, not taking anyone's side in anything but only out for themselves (just look at all the colourful people we met in The Ties that Bind).

Comment

Perhapes if we give it time and let this season play itself out, we're going to see a drastic alteration in her moral center and character. She's come a long way since she first appeared, and this last episode durring her psyche evaluation and her confession to the psychologist, I felt she became much more real.

You say alot of people can't relate to her. Yes, you're right. Prior to the most recent episode, Morpheus. She's a screw-up. There's no debating that. But, hate to break it to you, all of our society is composed of screw-ups to varying degrees. She's just a really big screw-up. And she's a screw-up looking for redemption. Because 'someone believed' in her.

Comment

The reason that people don't believe a single event can change a person is because most people have not, nor will they ever, experience an event of the magnitude it takes to cause a change. People go through learning experiences and change over time, but few have or will ever experience a single event that has that much of an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe
              The reason that people don't believe a single event can change a person is because most people have not, nor will they ever, experience an event of the magnitude it takes to cause a change. People go through learning experiences and change over time, but few have or will ever experience a single event that has that much of an impact.
              Which is a MAJOR shame as humanity has so much potential....

and some people can relate to her I can, I use induendos and all the rest - what makes me love the character is that she isnt perfect, she's not the moral girl whos being forced into sumert liek bosch was <aris whatever his name was>.
              Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

I like Vala as a character, and was happy when TPTB decided to make her a cast member. The banter between her and Daniel is classic!

Comment

She has changed a lot, which I think it pretty cool.

Spoiler:
                  Her conversations with Adria also had an impact on her as well.
                  I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

TBH at first I was anti-Valaasapermanentcastmember, but not because of her character. I was worried that along with her would come a whole boring ''raising the alien baby'' subplot. But they went the other way, and I'm glad.

Comment

Wow this post really express the idea ive wanted people to get about vala.

Shes changed.

Really great post.

I gave ya some green it was that good.
                      sigpic

Comment

When Vala first appeared in Prometheus Unbound I wasn't sure if I wanted to like her character or hate it. I do however love Claudia Black so I was very optimistic when she had the 7 episodes in season 9 and I absolutly loved her character. At first she still had the thief exterior and I love how they have made her character evolve and I really believe that the Prior plague incident(forgot ep name) changed her character in a great way. I can't wait to see what they do with her character this season!
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

well...... maybe cuz Oneill never changed throughout his run. selfish to everyone but himself and sg1. hates russians and puts himself, his lust for big honkin space guns and sg1 over the fate of the world/galaxy.

season 8 showed this in spades

"ori anti flame shield on!!!!!!!!!"
                          A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Working...
                          X