This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting fire with fire, so to speak

While stuck in traffic getting home this evening a thought crossed my mind (I really need better things to think about, but that's beside the point). Earth should have the ability to fight prior with prior shouldn't it? Unless I missed something back a few seasons ago, the lab and equipment Anubis used to create the Hok'tar clone he was advancing to ascention should still be intact someplace.

Wouldn't it then be possible to use that device to advance one or more of our own people to a point that is close, if not totally equivalent, to that of the priors of the Ori? Is there any reason given in the cannon of the show (makes people crazy, takes several hundred years, can only be opperated by Anubis himself, etc.) to say that it wouldn't work? Or did I just miss the part where tehy destroy the gear?

Anyway, these are teh things that roll through my head while commuting. Discuss if you so please.

As a side note, one or more of these newly created 'good priors' going rogue after the Ori are dealt with might make for an interesting story arc for down the road.

And what if you become corrupted by this power? Who is going to stop you then? I just think that the whole DNA splicing tech is a little too em how should i put it... Provokative. There are debates about cloning and using embrios for experiments etc. and this really fits right in that category. So I doubt we would ever see this in the show atleast i hop not cause that would make us well... Ori'ish

P.S.: I had to edit it because of some extreme spelling mistakes cause its 2.30 AM and I'm kind of sleepy

Comment

And I thought I was the only geek (don't take it as an insult greyman33). I too have moments when I think of Stargate and wonder what if...
      Now on toppic: your theory could work, but I doubt they will use it. Prototype was only a plot device for us to gain an advantage in the fight with Ori: the Prior inhibitor device.
      I don't rememeber them ever destroying the lab or mentioning something like that. But it could have been created by Anubis that he and only he can work on his little home project. You did remember the defence mechanism that prevetend leaving matter (i.e. SG-1 or any other foe Anubis would have had or later gained) unless provided with a code while matter was still between the gates. Who's to say that these was the only safety feature Anubis installed that univited guests meddle with his work?!
      Are own version of Priors would be the next step in reality, in the show that's a different story. "Good Priors" sound like "Good Nazies", yikes, bleahh. There can not be such things, one exclude another.
      Welcome to the forum, greyman33!
      School is overrated.

Comment

they never said anything about destroying it, but sam had modified Anubis's redirection tech to redirect all incoming wormholes to that planet back to whatever planet was dialling in... it was the only way to trick Khalek.... i believe that your plan is quite doable and agree that it could create a wonderful arch afterwards.... but i wanna see how this plays out without our own "priors"..... right now we are the underdogs, and though it is a bit redundant... i like that we're the underdog.... makes winning funner
        I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
        sigpic

Comment

Priors for our side, huh? Not a bad idea. They'd have to really be people we could trust with such enormous power though. In the end, that would probably be the toughest part. Deciding who gets chosen.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

No insult taken Engineer, as the great philosopher Poppie once state, "I yam what I yam, an' dats all what I yam." Or something like that. Thanks for the warm welcome by the way.

Good points brought up by everyone here, and some things I hadn't factored in when I first was thinking about all this. I personally don't think they would ever use the device for that purpose either, but it makes for an interesting 'what-if' scenario. Like, for example, what if a Baal found the lab and tried it out for/on himself (or should that read himselves?), or even just a rogue NID-type black-op group from Earth? Maybe they start out helping and then just take over afterward, it's just fun food for thought I suppose.

Oh, Engineer, I was thinking about the last bit you wrote about the Ori as Nazis. There is definatly a case to make for that, but I tend to see them more as the Spanish conquistadors during their prime. Greedy, religious zealots (at least they claimed to be) invading and plundering unexplored territory. They, like the Spanish, posess technology vastly ahead of the native people, demand worship of the 'correct' gods and servitude of the people lest they face death as heathens, and in the end they trully desire little more than to posess all they see to further their own holdings at the expense of other major powers.

If the similarities continue like this I have to say, we're probably in quite a bit of trouble and we had best hope that the priors we've seen here are more akin to De Soto than to Cortez. Otherwise everyone better brush up on their Book of Origin because "Hallowed are the Ori" is going to become this galaxy's new theme song.

And on that cheery thought I bid you all adieu and go off to get some sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by greyman33
              Good points brought up by everyone here, and some things I hadn't factored in when I first was thinking about all this. I personally don't think they would ever use the device for that purpose either, but it makes for an interesting 'what-if' scenario. Like, for example, what if a Baal found the lab and tried it out for/on himself (or should that read himselves?), or even just a rogue NID-type black-op group from Earth? Maybe they start out helping and then just take over afterward, it's just fun food for thought I suppose.
              only one problem with that... the computer program is in ancient and last time i checked, neither Ba'al(s) nor the Trust were really good with ancient.... as a matter of fact, the last time the Trust came across Ancient, they kidnapped and blackmailed Daniel to translate into Goa'uld, and almost got Teal'c shipped to the NID....
              I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by greyman33
                No insult taken Engineer, as the great philosopher Poppie once state, "I yam what I yam, an' dats all what I yam." Or something like that. Thanks for the warm welcome by the way.

Oh, Engineer, I was thinking about the last bit you wrote about the Ori as Nazis. There is definatly a case to make for that, but I tend to see them more as the Spanish conquistadors during their prime. Greedy, religious zealots (at least they claimed to be) invading and plundering unexplored territory. They, like the Spanish, posess technology vastly ahead of the native people, demand worship of the 'correct' gods and servitude of the people lest they face death as heathens, and in the end they trully desire little more than to posess all they see to further their own holdings at the expense of other major powers.

If the similarities continue like this I have to say, we're probably in quite a bit of trouble and we had best hope that the priors we've seen here are more akin to De Soto than to Cortez. Otherwise everyone better brush up on their Book of Origin because "Hallowed are the Ori" is going to become this galaxy's new theme song.

And on that cheery thought I bid you all adieu and go off to get some sleep.
                Yeah, your comparison is better than mine. I said Nazies because everyone (well, almost everyone) agrees they were evil. Your conquistadorianapproach is similar to the Prior behaviour from the religious point of view. They too use religion as a pretext, but it ends here. The Priors believe they are right, that what they do is their holy duty and their reasons are true and do not pursuit material gains. The Ori are similar to the conquistadors because under their religious propaganda they pursuit gains (not materials) but that would benefit them a lot.
                I wonder if "Hallowed are the Ori" will become a catchy phrase and everyone years (decades from now) will identify it with Stargate, and Stargate will become famous because of the Ori more than because of the Goa'uld.
                School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayan
                  only one problem with that... the computer program is in ancient and last time i checked, neither Ba'al(s) nor the Trust were really good with ancient.... as a matter of fact, the last time the Trust came across Ancient, they kidnapped and blackmailed Daniel to translate into Goa'uld, and almost got Teal'c shipped to the NID....
                  download the ancient text and go on the ancient text thread in off topic and you can pick it up .

i think the gene splicing is avery painful ordeal, and the prior staff seems like it amplifies its affects. khalek had control over his power but seemed very concentrated. i think the ori refined their priors more than that but its still way better than what our soldiers are capable of. heck if i got the chance i'd volunteer as a test subject as long as i get those cool powers
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Well what ever they do they should not let Daniel use it...Remember "Absolute Power"?
                    [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
                    HARRIMAN
                    I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
                    [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
                    HARRIMAN
                    So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-25CSAR
                      Well what ever they do they should not let Daniel use it...Remember "Absolute Power"?
                      perhaps this has something to do with the shroud?

Comment

I still think
                        Spoiler:
                        Daniel's just pretending to serve the Ori in "The Shroud". However, there's that pesky failsafe that will kill priors should they use their powers to not serve the Ori.

Comment

I think Anubis' tech needs to clone someone or create someone and then partially ascend him/her.

Sounds like a veeerry bad idea to raise a prior.

Comment

This thread has been done before.

It basically comes down to a few things:

1. It's a stupid idea to have SG-1 turn into, basically, Jedi.

2. It brings up a eugenics type debate. We'd essentially be created super-soldiers to fight the Ori. But why stop there? Why not put SF's from all branches through the treatment and use them in Earth conflicts? If we're already doing that, why not blah blah blah the list goes on.

3. It makes things too easy. Just like if we found a super-charged version of Merlin's weapon that would also kill the Wraith, along with Replicators and Goa'uld, but only Goa'uld in a host, so Tok'ra and Jaffa will be safe all at the time and baked perfect blueberry muffins.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
                              I still think
                              Spoiler:
                              Daniel's just pretending to serve the Ori in "The Shroud". However, there's that pesky failsafe that will kill priors should they use their powers to not serve the Ori.
                              I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I don't think the Ori
                              Spoiler:
                              are stupid enough to fall for Daniel "pretending" to serve them. They are smarter than that IMO.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X