This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crew of the Odyssey

So I know they haven't had much time to develop but who else find the Captain of the Odyssey and his crew really bland

I find Emerson especially to be a boring captain. Caldwell was able to distinguish himself as a much more interesting character in less time than Emerson has had
    sigpic

that's because cadwell has had a bigger recurring role than emerson so we've had more time to get to know him, we've only had what 4 episodes of emerson and his crew, just give it time

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
      So I know they haven't had much time to develop but who else find the Captain of the Odyssey and his crew really bland

I find Emerson especially to be a boring captain. Caldwell was able to distinguish himself as a much more interesting character in less time than Emerson has had
      I completely agree... they just don't look or act like military officers. Over on the Daedalus not only do you have a strong command presense in Colonel Caldwell but you also have Captain Kleinman who in my opinion acts and looks WAY more like an Air Force Officer.

Emerson hasn't impressed me as much as Colonel Pendergast, I'm still very much upset about that whole thing. If I had to rank Emerson right now he would sit just above Ronson as a commander. Capt/Maj. Marks isn't any better, he's a fine actor, but the character just doesn't stick out as that of an Air Force officer as much as Kleinman does.

It just looks weird that the more professional military ship is actually on Atlantis which has a very laxed chain of command. Where as SG-1 is suppose to be the more military oriented one... and the two just don't compare

Ace
      "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

I look at the episodes they appeared in, and what they did.

Caldwell has shown to be more interesting because he has an opinion, he does what he has to in time of need, and is very determined.

Emerson is from what I see as the guy who just takes orders. I'd like to see Emerson and Mitchell get into a dispute for once. It'd show he atleast thinks for himself, and is thinking of what's best to do (besides the obvious).

Mattathias

Comment

In his first Episode Caldwell and his crew were more interesting than Emerson and his crew have managed in 4 episodes

My major problem I think is that Emerson lets SG-1 walk all over him, they come onto his ship and he follows all their suggestions like they're orders, he never objects, never has a contrary opinion. He doesn't act like the ship is his

Caldwell is in no uncertain terms boss of his own ship - he has a clear chain of command with him at the top. He takes what the Atlantis team says as advice and always make it clear he's incharge. Emerson by comparison is a bit of a doormat
          sigpic

Comment

well emerson will never be lionel Pendergast but i do like emerson and caldwell
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
              well emerson will never be lionel Pendergast but i do like emerson and caldwell
              I agree. Pendergast really proved a lot to me about how great he was in "Ethon".

But I do like what Emerson has done so far. I have no issues with him or the crew of the Odyssey.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I don't think it's fair to compare Emerson directly to Caldwell, as they characters were conceived for different purposes. Caldwell was in Atlantis to provide some antagonism for the lead characters. He's there to ratchet up the drama, and contribute in significant ways to the episodes he appears in (which has been fairly oftern).

Emerson is more of a utility character, present mostly to move the SG-1 members on to the next place they need to be. This doesn't make him an inferior commander, just a less important character in the franchise.

a time to mourn

Comment

yeah, you wouldnt have a non esential character in the promo pics so caldwell is defidently more important.

Comment

Working...
                  X