This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the ori can be a good villan

I believe that the concept of the ori has the potential to create a better villan (in terms of story) than the Goa'uld.

The Goa'uld, for 8 seasons, were always wrong. We saw a Goa'uld, and they were automatically bad, automatically wrong, automatically to be destroyed.

The Ori on the other hand, aren't like that. For 8 seasons we've been convinced that the Ancients (in contrast to the Goa'uld) are the ultimate force of good. The Ori do not believe that, and for once in the show, we (as viewers) can begin to think "maybe everything Earth has learned has been a misconception" - aka, the Ancients might be wrong and the Ori might be right... ie, the concept is there for the Ori to not be automatically wrong, automatically the bad guy in every encounter, and i hope the writers realise this.
    To me, there is nothing better than trying to work out what side we're actually fighting for. If a number of incidents were shown of the possibility of the Ori being 'right' and the Ancients being 'wrong', that would be the best thing possible for this series, i believe. Nothing creates more drama than having the characters on screen thinking of the possiblity that thye might be wrong and that maybe they should jump on the ori bandwagon.

Spoiler:
    And i'm hoping this is why daniel becomes a prior, he has a crisis of faith and converts over

I'm sure that it will end up that the Ancients are the good guys, and the Ori are bad, but to have a period in between when we're not too sure would benefit the quality of the show greatly, in my opinion. I believe that they started to introduce this concept in the first episodes of season 9 and the season opener of season 10.

I know that i for one would like to see a show where it's not 'we're the good guys, you're the bad guys - how do we kill you', but maybe 'are we the good guys, are they the bad guys, how do we figure it out?'.

That's my thoughts on the Ori.
    Aussie

I agree with the Ori it adds a whole new concept to consider. Are we right or are we wrong. With the goa'uld we knew. We witnessed there crimes agaisnt humans and jaffa and we knew we had to stop them bc they were false gods. But with the ori they have real power and we dont if were right or if they are. I like the ori as an enemy almost as much as the goa'uld. Almost.
    sigpic

Comment

The Ancients were never the ultimate force of good. Certain Ancients are good but the Ancients as a whole are pretty much neutral since they don't interfere with less advanced lifeforms.

Comment

My thought is that they believe they are right. Who knows what were the beliefs of the Ori for which they were persecuted. Might as well have nothing to do with religion. Maybe the Ori created religion as a way of making a point after the great rift. Maybe it was a battle for resources like any other war and the Ori were those who lost and at the end of the war the Alterans left their homeworld a barren place and have to leave it in order to thrive, and the Ori having lost the world could not leave theirs. Maybe the Alterans burnt their fleet like the Romans did after defeating the Cartaginese people, and by doing this the Alterans assured their monopoly over the next galaxies they will later populate. And the defeated Ori developed their religion as a measure of their despair but in the end died as people and society or ascended. The ascended Ori repopulated their homeworld but with this religion as a way of making sure that what happened before will never happen and because people ar more affraid of God than the law.
        I also believe that the plague that destroyed all life in the MW Galaxy is not the doing of the Ori but of the Alterans.
        School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_86
          Spoiler:
          And i'm hoping this is why daniel becomes a prior, he has a crisis of faith and converts over
          Spoiler:
          From everything we've seen Daniel is 110% opposed to the Ori's way of doing things. The only way I'd accept his conversion as plausable is if he is brainwashed or has amnesia, or does it as a double-agent type move. I can't see him actually truly converting under any circumstances.
          MASSIVE SPOIERS TO FOLLOW: READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
          Spoiler:
          Snape kills Dumbledore
          Spoiler:
          Darth Vader is Luke's Father
          Spoiler:
          Rosebud is a sled
          Spoiler:
          Bruce Willis' character was a ghost
          Spoiler:
          The planet of the apes is actually Earth
          Spoiler:
          The two guys in Fight Club are the same guy
          Spoiler:
          Clark Kent is Superman
          Spoiler:
          What? You were expecting Stargate Spoilers?

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time for no good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyalcapones
            Spoiler:
            From everything we've seen Daniel is 110% opposed to the Ori's way of doing things. The only way I'd accept his conversion as plausable is if he is brainwashed or has amnesia, or does it as a double-agent type move. I can't see him actually truly converting under any circumstances.
            Well, Daniel, for the past 8 seasons, has believed that SG-1 has been
            surviving because there was:

"...someone looking out for us." - Daniel Jackson, from Season 9's
            "Origin".
            Now Daniel is scared because the enemies he faces now live on a higher
            plane of existence.

Spoiler:
            I'm thinking that Daniel might either become convinced
            that the Ori are good or he has been forced to become a Prior because he
            is finally succumbing to his fears. A third possibility might be that he is
            fooling the Ori by pretending to be a Prior.
            sigpic

Comment

After attending to Flesh and Blood and listening to everything that Adria spoke I have mine doubt about the intentions of the Ori and the Ancients, it seems that a rivalry exists that we only go to attend and we cannot intervene.

But this can change if Daniel turn a Prior.
              Fabiano Klug
              O'neill say: I don't care.
              Stargate Brasil

Comment

I dont have any doubts, The ancients dont force us to do anything, period. They dont even care for the most part to interfer with our lives. The Ori want to control humans, and I cant see how its a good thing. And I dont see how we could be wrong, after all weve seen.

Comment

Originally posted by cbrseadude
                  I dont have any doubts, The ancients dont force us to do anything, period. They dont even care for the most part to interfer with our lives. The Ori want to control humans, and I cant see how its a good thing. And I dont see how we could be wrong, after all weve seen.
                  I agree. Besides, I can't see the Asgard having been part of an alliance with a race that they didn't trust as being good overall.

The Ori are a great enemy IMO, and one that will only get better now with the addition of Adria to the show. She is definitely going to be a force to be reckoned with.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                    I agree. Besides, I can't see the Asgard having been part of an alliance with a race that they didn't trust as being good overall.

The Ori are a great enemy IMO, and one that will only get better now with the addition of Adria to the show. She is definitely going to be a force to be reckoned with.
                    i hope they dont kill her full grown just yet.... who dosnt mind looking at a hot woman with powerful abilities?
                    SAVE SG-1
                    www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.
                    Say No To The Six Month Hiatus

Comment

Originally posted by The.Prior.of.The.Ori
                      i hope they dont kill her full grown just yet.... who dosnt mind looking at a hot woman with powerful abilities?
                      I don't see that happening. I think Adria will be around for some time to come. And that suits me just fine.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

It's not only an intriguing concept as to what caused the rift between the Ori and Ancients, but also, the Ori are what the Goa'uld were early in the series, possessing heavy firepower, outclassing us in both weaponry and manpower, and seeming unstoppable. This opens a lot of doors for the writers to bring in new ideas. Also, It is nice to return to one overpowering baddie. I didn't like how the replicators and Goa`uld were constantly fighting the Tauri and always switching back and forth. Wouldn't the Replicators be more interested in the advanced hardware of the Goa'uld and Jaffa?
                        Sir, Request permission to beat the... out of this man"

Comment

You're over-thinking it.

It's all about the costume.

Comment

Working...
                          X