Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hasnt the "Antichrist Girl" Archetype been done already?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hasnt the "Antichrist Girl" Archetype been done already?

Sorry folks, but I had a nagging dislike of the little yellow-eyed fast growing girl I saw tonite on SG-1. Adri, Aldrie, Alex, whomever. Then I remembered (at least part of) the reason why . . . I've seen this before. Isabel on the 4400 (she's hot, but I cant stand her!). Some evil girl, concieved under dubious circumstances, holds great power and will be the harbinger of armageddon. Um . . . come again?

Having her grow up fast helps the writers easily get around alot of the growth and bonding issues that an ACTUAL child would provide for a character, but it just seemed . . . so superficial to me. To see Aeryn Sun, err I mean Vala Mal Doran, stalking around and (even sarcastically) talk about how "they grow up so fast" and "break your heart" and this other stuff, just smacked of bad writing. This is a freak of nature who's purpose is to be the Locutus of Borg for the Ori, the bringer of death and destruction to all unbelievers . . . Vala seemed to play the entire situation way way too nonchilant (even for her), and I got *no* feeling of any sort of authentic attachment between mother and child. It just seemed forced.

In all fairness, I get that same feeling of void between Isabel and her father in the 4400, but that relationship has had the benefit of at least 3 episodes to define itself, and I think that the distance is intentional.

Anyhow, I've seen various versions of this "Antichrist Girl" or "Potential Antichirst" archetype, not always featuring all the exact details, but more or less. Rogue and Gene Grey (as a kid) in X-Men were basically the same thing, but sans the super-fast growth. It's not necessarily a bad thing to indulge in a cliche like this, but it just seemed very very poorly done to me.

Anyhow mark my words, I wouldn't be suprised at all if I see this same archetype pop up in the Battlestar Galactica half cylon kid of Boomer, too.

The Silent Universe Podcast - A Sci Fi Audio Drama where YOU can actually talk to the people who make it. Read future scripts, discuss plot ideas, help guide the story. Listening to the fans... now there's a thought...

Once you know who is playing her adult form I don't think you'll be complaining

By Spoilers a lot of us know, but I assume you are not one who reads spoilers, so I guess you'll have to wait

Comment

Originally posted by Sauron18
      Once you know who is playing her adult form I don't think you'll be complaining

By Spoilers a lot of us know, but I assume you are not one who reads spoilers, so I guess you'll have to wait
      I guess so. I've not kept up with the Stargate news, I'm only a casual viewer.

The Silent Universe Podcast - A Sci Fi Audio Drama where YOU can actually talk to the people who make it. Read future scripts, discuss plot ideas, help guide the story. Listening to the fans... now there's a thought...

Comment

You also forgot the evil girl "Hope" from Xena: Warrior Princess.

She is begotten by the God of Evil named Dahak, who was essentially God's opposite. Anyway, Dahak appears as a flaming spectre surrounding one of the heros of the show, Xena's sidekick... Gabrielle. Hmm... seem familiar? Like when that flaming skull appears above Vala's bed?

So Gabrielle gets impregnated by a fiery god and her child is a girl, which she names Hope who is basically a female Anti-Christ. Of course, she grows to become a woman and wreaks havoc on Earth.
        http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
        http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Alex is not evil though on The 4400.
          z

Comment

Originally posted by Ogden2k
            Alex is not evil though on The 4400.
            Isabel is the evil girl on the 4400, and she almost certainly is.

Comment

Originally posted by JMarcusXavier
              Isabel is the evil girl on the 4400, and she almost certainly is.
              she herself is not evil, not the same way adria is. she was sent to undermine the 4400, but she doesn't want to do it, and doesn't intend to do it, she want's to be good. so far she's only killed the 4400 she feels are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
                You also forgot the evil girl "Hope" from Xena: Warrior Princess.

She is begotten by the God of Evil named Dahak, who was essentially God's opposite. Anyway, Dahak appears as a flaming spectre surrounding one of the heros of the show, Xena's sidekick... Gabrielle. Hmm... seem familiar? Like when that flaming skull appears above Vala's bed?

So Gabrielle gets impregnated by a fiery god and her child is a girl, which she names Hope who is basically a female Anti-Christ. Of course, she grows to become a woman and wreaks havoc on Earth.
                And gives birth to a giant blue hedgehog demon.

Spoiler:
                What I can't figure out is why Adria's growing so fast now when Vala's pregnancy seems to have progressed at a normal rate - normal enough to fool Tomin or whatever his name was, anyway.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

oops, read down

Comment

Spoiler:
                    What I can't figure out is why Adria's growing so fast now when Vala's pregnancy seems to have progressed at a normal rate - normal enough to fool Tomin or whatever his name was, anyway.
                    Well, I doubt anyone can talk specifics but common sense says she'll stop growing so rapidly once she reaches a certain age, otherwise she'll die before she's 1 year old!

So by that, wouldn't it be fair to assume if they can program her to STOP ageing so quickly at a certain time, they could also program her to START ageing at a certain time.

Albeit ridiculous (but hey it's sci-fi, who f**kin cares lol), if she aged so quickly whilst in the womb Vala would have gone from normal to giving birth in less than an hour, and something tells me that would probably kill someone.

Booya!

Great episode though!

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                      And gives birth to a giant blue hedgehog demon.

Spoiler:
                      Spoiler:
                      Probably so she would not be birn until after coming through the gate so they could, as Vala put it "sneak one of their own over the border"

Inside Vala she seemed like a nice normal baby and the Ancients would not bother, but bring Adria super brat through the gate and they might have had something to say about it.
                      Filetta

Comment

It's been done before frrom Dune
                        Spoiler:
                        Alia the daughter of Jessica was born with all the knowledge of the Bene Gesserit (sp). While not rapid aging, she was a fully grown woman in a childs body.

Then of course there's
                        Spoiler:
                        Conner/Stephan from Angel. Jasmine from Angel too. Maybe a little Dawn from Buffy.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadtw
                          she herself is not evil, not the same way adria is. she was sent to undermine the 4400, but she doesn't want to do it, and doesn't intend to do it, she want's to be good. so far she's only killed the 4400 she feels are evil.
                          that doesn't change the fact that she killed them in cold blood. I mean, maybe she's not pure evil, but she certainly has little regard for human life.

and On Topic: I completely agree with the TC about how overused this stereotype is. I mean, it's TV, so everythings been done before, but COME ON!!! the girl's a walking cliche'!
                          MASSIVE SPOIERS TO FOLLOW: READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
                          Spoiler:
                          Snape kills Dumbledore
                          Spoiler:
                          Darth Vader is Luke's Father
                          Spoiler:
                          Rosebud is a sled
                          Spoiler:
                          Bruce Willis' character was a ghost
                          Spoiler:
                          The planet of the apes is actually Earth
                          Spoiler:
                          The two guys in Fight Club are the same guy
                          Spoiler:
                          Clark Kent is Superman
                          Spoiler:
                          What? You were expecting Stargate Spoilers?

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time for no good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyalcapones
                            and On Topic: I completely agree with the TC about how overused this stereotype is. I mean, it's TV, so everythings been done before, but COME ON!!! the girl's a walking cliche'!

Well, the writers could still do some interesting things with Adria despite this being somewhat cliche. Adria could also be quite one-dimensional as well. I'll reserve judgement until I see more of season 10.

I do want to point out that it is BETTER to have an enemy with a human form to fight SG-1 than some white, amorphous glowing light. This was also a decent plot device to get Vala on the team. The potential for good Vala-Adria interaction is there...can Vala ever gets around to kill her own daughter?
                            I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

In the end, it will be something silly, like "Can a mother's love for her child overcome a hatred that threatens to engulf the entire galaxy" or some feel-good sillyness like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X