Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latin Phrases Uttered By The Prior And Their Translation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin Phrases Uttered By The Prior And Their Translation.

can someone identify the latin words of what the prior says and their translation? i only make out: "...videri esset...et sidera....ex uno....omnis"

i doubt its latin, its probably a form of ancient
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran
      i doubt its latin, its probably a form of ancient
      Ancient is based on Latin...and vise versa...I'd say if you know latin you can translate
      McKay:...ZedPM
      O'Neill: Zed?
      Jackson: He's Canadian
      O'Neill: I'm sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Squalll
        can someone identify the latin words of what the prior says and their translation? i only make out: "...videri esset...et sidera....ex uno....omnis"
        From what I know of latin I think I can translate...

"Truth shall be (Videri esset)...et (and) sidera (no idea :-p) ex uno (from one)
        omnis (all)
        McKay:...ZedPM
        O'Neill: Zed?
        Jackson: He's Canadian
        O'Neill: I'm sorry

Comment

IT IS LATIN FOR SURE. That guy Tomin translated the last latine phrase: from one all we will learn (i think he said so) and the Prior had said previously: ex uno...omnis (i think so either).

Furthermore, there is certainly some latin words here: "videri esset"
          now "videri" is the passive form at present infinitive of the verb "video" that means "to see". So videri would be "to be seen". but i think is some kind of periphrastic construction here due to the verb "esset" wich is the verb "to be" at perfect subjunctive. i can't make out the rest since the americans and english speakers in general have such a funny way of pronouncing latin sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Squalll
            IT IS LATIN FOR SURE. That guy Tomin translated the last latine phrase: from one all we will learn (i think he said so) and the Prior had said previously: ex uno...omnis (i think so either).

Furthermore, there is certainly some latin words here: "videri esset"
            now "videri" is the passive form at present infinitive of the verb "video" that means "to see". So videri would be "to be seen". but i think is some kind of periphrastic construction here due to the verb "esset" wich is the verb "to be" at perfect subjunctive. i can't make out the rest since the americans and english speakers in general have such a funny way of pronouncing latin sounds.
            *listens to explaination until his head suddenly explodes*

The Silent Universe Podcast - A Sci Fi Audio Drama where YOU can actually talk to the people who make it. Read future scripts, discuss plot ideas, help guide the story. Listening to the fans... now there's a thought...

Comment

well, it's not so complicated.
              i figured out the following
              1) "videri esset"- is to be seen, shall be seen
              2)"et sidera"- and the skies
              3)"ex uno"- from one
              4)"omnis"- all

maybe someone can figure out the rest, hopefully.

Comment

well i should read that latin for dummies book i bought a month a go again

Comment

i've identified one other latin word: "voltus" or "vultus" that means "face", "countenance", when the prior says :"et terrarius et sidera toleret vultus"(i don't know for sure if that is the transcription)

Comment

the declenations get me.

Comment

i don't understand those priors when they talk in English. besides priors say only one thing (in many ways). "Follow the Ori or Die"

Comment

Could someone clue me in-- why do the Ori speak Latin, of all languages? I mean, what is the Ancient Language/Earth Latin connection? Seems kind of weird. Did the Ori originate in the Roman Empire 2000 years ago, or something?

Comment

Originally posted by OutThere
                          Could someone clue me in-- why do the Ori speak Latin, of all languages? I mean, what is the Ancient Language/Earth Latin connection? Seems kind of weird. Did the Ori originate in the Roman Empire 2000 years ago, or something?
                          The Ancient language was an influence on early Latin. And the Alterans and Ori were originally the same race, so it makes sense that they speak the same language.
                          Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                          Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                          -Audioslave

Comment

never mind that. we still haven't figured out what the prior said. it was pure latin not Latino-ancient or ancient-latin.

Comment

Originally posted by full.infinity
                              The Ancient language was an influence on early Latin. And the Alterans and Ori were originally the same race, so it makes sense that they speak the same language.
                              Okay. Just seems odd because Latin is just the one branch in a whole family of related languages called Indo-European, that includes such diverse languages as Celtic, German (English belongs to the same Germanic branch of Indo-European as German), Latin (parent language to French and Italian, among others), Iranian, Hittite (dead language), and Sanskrit (dead language). I was just wondering if there was a good story behind it, or if it is one of those "just because" things that one shouldn't think too much about.

Comment

Working...
                              X