What episodes feature the scenes
    where you feel that
    Amanda Tapping's
    wonderful acting talents
    get to shine?

(without reference or consideration
    for hair or clothing styles...
    or ship or such... )

Please note that you can vote for several episodes when you cast your ballot,
    but once you hit submit, it won't let you come back and vote again.

You can vote in the poll, and then post your comments in this thread.
    Comments and discussion may also overlap into the Sam's A Great Character Thread.

Pics that capture your favorite AT acting scene are greatly appreciated too!
    (A picture is worth a thousand words...)

If you want a reminder of what each episode was about... Season 5 Episode Summaries

The Poll

-------

Over the years, we've discussed which episodes (and scenes) were the best, or most important, for the Stargate characters. We've run 'Best Episode' Polls for each season and such.

However, when trying to decide which episode was the best of a season for a certain character, such as Sam, one of the issues that fans have wrestled with is... whether to pick the episode which features the most/best AT on screen, or the episode which features the best Sam Carter scenes. Examples include Entity (which had some wonderful AT acting scenes, but she wasn't playing Sam Carter, as much as she was playing/acting an alien entity). Another example would be an episode with lots of RepliCarter, or Geek!Sam, where again, these are wonderful AT acting scenes, a wonderful look at AT acting out-of-the-regular-confines of the character of 'our' Sam Carter.

So, we've already done the 'Best Sam Carter' Episodes of each season (polls were done last year on the GW forum, and informal polls were also conducted again recently on the Sam's A Great Character Thread), and many have recommended that we should do some 'Best AT Acting Polls'... so here we go

The Poll

---------

Results of Season 4 Poll + posted comments
    Results of Season 3 Poll + posted comments
    Results of Season 2 Poll + posted comments
    Results of Season 1 Poll + posted comments
    Enemies
    2.65%
    Threshold
    0.80%
    Ascension
    11.14%
    The Fifth Man
    2.39%
    Red Sky
    5.84%
    Rite of Passage
    5.57%
    Beast of Burden
    0.00%
    The Tomb
    1.59%
    Between Two Fires
    4.51%
    10.08%
    Desperate Measures
    9.55%
    Wormhole X-Treme!
    0.27%
    Proving Ground
    1.86%
    48 Hours
    8.75%
    Summit
    2.12%
    Last Stand
    3.71%
    Fail Safe
    7.16%
    The Warrior
    1.06%
    Menace
    0.53%
    The Sentinel
    1.59%
    Meridian
    10.08%
    Revelations
    8.75%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by astrogeologist; 11 July 2006, 07:57 PM.

It's getting harder to narrow down my choices, Amanda's so wonderful in so many episodes.

Ascension - A lovely episode. I thought that Amanda did a stellar job with the scenes with Orlin and Sam's blossoming connection with him, as well as with Sam's frustration over people thinking that she was crazy, her paranoia about being watched and her feeling betrayed when it was revealed that she was being watched. Great shot at the very end of the episode, just after Orlin reAscended, Sam's sense of grief was portrayed without Amanda having to say a word.

Red Sky - A great job by Amanda for this episode, showing Sam's determination, genius and resourcefulness as she tried to fix a problem she felt at least responsible for causing.

Rite Of Passage - I really enjoyed seeing the interaction between Sam and Cassie. I had missed it since Season Two.

2001 - Another fabulous episode. The scenes between Sam and Joe Faxon were sweet, but without being at all over the top or mushy. Amanda captured Sam's dilemma before she cut the rope perfectly; she could escape herself, and prevent the Aschen from unleashing a bio weapon on Earth, but she would have to leave a civilian under her care, and someone with whom she had begun to form a friendship, behind.

48 Hours - A great episode. Amanda handled the balance between Scientist Sam, trying to work out how to perform an almost impossible task in a short space of time and Friend Sam, worried about Teal'c with a healthy dose of Snarky Sam while dealing with McKay.

Failsafe - You can't really beat flying an asteroid through Earth, can you? I especially liked the part where Sam investigated her suspicions about the higher gravity.

Meridian - The scene where Sam tries to use the healing device on Daniel was just an amazing piece of acting on Amanda's part. She captured Sam's unease with Goa'uld technology, her desire to help her friend, her horror when Daniel's condition and her guilt when she thought that she had made things worse perfectly. The scene where Sam was speaking to a dying Daniel was both beautiful and heart-breaking.

Revelations - Excellent job on Amanda's part in showing Sam's grief over Daniel, but at the same time her ability to put this grief aside and do what had to be done when called upon to do it.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
      It's getting harder to narrow down my choices, Amanda's so wonderful in so many episodes.

Ascension - A lovely episode. I thought that Amanda did a stellar job with the scenes with Orlin and Sam's blossoming connection with him, as well as with Sam's frustration over people thinking that she was crazy, her paranoia about being watched and her feeling betrayed when it was revealed that she was being watched. Great shot at the very end of the episode, just after Orlin reAscended, Sam's sense of grief was portrayed without Amanda having to say a word.

Red Sky - A great job by Amanda for this episode, showing Sam's determination, genius and resourcefulness as she tried to fix a problem she felt at least responsible for causing.

Rite Of Passage - I really enjoyed seeing the interaction between Sam and Cassie. I had missed it since Season Two.

2001 - Another fabulous episode. The scenes between Sam and Joe Faxon were sweet, but without being at all over the top or mushy. Amanda captured Sam's dilemma before she cut the rope perfectly; she could escape herself, and prevent the Aschen from unleashing a bio weapon on Earth, but she would have to leave a civilian under her care, and someone with whom she had begun to form a friendship, behind.

48 Hours - A great episode. Amanda handled the balance between Scientist Sam, trying to work out how to perform an almost impossible task in a short space of time and Friend Sam, worried about Teal'c with a healthy dose of Snarky Sam while dealing with McKay.

Failsafe - You can't really beat flying an asteroid through Earth, can you? I especially liked the part where Sam investigated her suspicions about the higher gravity.

Meridian - The scene where Sam tries to use the healing device on Daniel was just an amazing piece of acting on Amanda's part. She captured Sam's unease with Goa'uld technology, her desire to help her friend, her horror when Daniel's condition and her guilt when she thought that she had made things worse perfectly. The scene where Sam was speaking to a dying Daniel was both beautiful and heart-breaking.

Revelations - Excellent job on Amanda's part in showing Sam's grief over Daniel, but at the same time her ability to put this grief aside and do what had to be done when called upon to do it.
      Tried to rep you, ReganX, but I'm locked out of the jello fridge. But consider yourself, slimed! Great post - and great comments

Comment

Ascension One of the best Sam Carter episodes - AT had the role pinned down, was she going mad or was she seeing what was real etc.

Revelations You could see how much Daniel became a great friend with her and how we always see the tough side to her however we get to see a vularible side to her which was protrayed excellently.

Comment

Ok here I come again

Season 5 was overall again a good season for AT, her character became clearer, you saw that she also had a personal life. But that her work did mean everything for herself. You also get to know her as a friend, a family. In season 5 she became much more that the soldier, the scientist. She became human with her mistakes. She made a few in season 5, that what makes sam that beautiful.

Enemies:
          *There are some really good scenes in it but overall here you can see soldier Sam, and you got the love when she really plays that. When she has a gun in her hands it looks so normal to her. I mean it really fits her. It is not that it looks forced or anything.
          *I really love the scene when they go for the first time in the Hatak vessel of Apophis and she just goes throw all the hall ways with her gun in her hand. And the talk she has with O'neill about that is fun to her. It is really funny but on the other side you see that she really means it. that she really likes being a soldier.

*the whole discussion with sam, jacob and jack about will they make it or will they not make it. The looks she gave jack when she walks past him to fix the hyperdrive. and that line: 'welcome to my life' is just so funny. But also says so much about the relationship she had with her dad in the past. Before he was blended with Selmak

*when she is locked up in that room(don't know anymore wich one it was but it wasn't a holdingcell) and she tries to fix the door so they can go out and then Teal'c shoots at her. The look on her face says that she was just so surprised but also that she was scared. I really love that look what she was giving there. I really can't describe what it says for me but that is a really great look
          *when she is shooting at the replicators, you really see that she is devoted to her work and that she really hates the replicators.and the way she acts it.

Ascension:
          *that ep is such a great episode for Sam.Here you know a little bit more about her life, or the life she doesn't have. you see here that her works mean everything for her. But at the same time you also see that she can bind with someone and care for a person. And if she does that regs don't mean that much to her. even if she always tries to follow them.
          *the first time she opens the power source of the wapen. the look on her face, is so cute and adorable and you see how much she enjoys it. And she knows that O'neill just said not to touch anything but still it is something she just wants to do...so she doesn't really care about it. It is like a kid in a candystore.

*when she is talking to Janet about her passing out on the planet. you see the friendship they have.

*and then the talk she has with O'neill about the fact that she has to relax a little bit. And the fact that you see that she doesn't really have a personal life. For her SGC means everything, that is her life.

*when she sees Orlin for the first time in her citchen. that says so much about her. I mean she is scared about the fact that he is there. But she is also surprised and she doesn't know how to react on him. She has no idea what he is or what he is doing there. she also is a little mad. And you can all see that in one look. The look she gave to him says so much about her character.

*the sharing thing with Orlin...What a great moment and the conversation before it. Here you actually she the best what a good character Sam is and how good AT plays that part. Every time I see it I am amazed by it.

*when Teal'c and O'neill come to her house to watch a movie and have pizza togheter. how uncomfortable she is with that and how she has to talk her out of it. She is so convincing with it
          *when she has the fight with Simmons about the fact that they are still spying on her. You she is dissapointed but at the same time she is really upset by it.
          *The goodbye of Orlin...how emotional that scene is and that is all because of AT great acting

2001:
          *when she is doing her techno babbel to all the man. She does it so great. It is so natural.

*when she knows that the ashen are not what they seem they are. And than the fact that she has to go through the stargate and have to leave Joe. And the pain she has after it from falling on the ground.

48 hours
          *just every scene with MacKay and her. the interaction between them is so great.

summit/last stand
          *when she tells that joke about yu. It is really told not funny but she really tries it and that makes it that funnier
          *when she is talking about savind Martouf live. And knowing she will never see Martouf again. she is so sad about the fact that he is dead and she knows that it is her fault. But in the meantime she is also mad at the tok'ra because they let him die and rescued lantash.

*when she knows lantash is in the body of elliot the surpirse on her face.

*and when she says goodbye to Elliot and Lantash for the second time. that is really an emotional scene where I really have it hard to not cry. She does it that serene. You know that she finds it hard but she is not the emotional cause she knows that is the only way it can go.

Meredians:
          *here you see the emotional Sam because she has to say goodbye to one of her best friends. Just every moment she does it so great. So I am just going to post screencaps cause they say so much more than words.

Comment

I chose Ascension, 2001, Desperate Measures and Proving Ground.
            I like Ascension cos of the way she handles the whole mess with Orlin and the NID.
            I like 2001 cos of the way she deals with the Ashen and how it ties in with 2010...I don't really know why...I just liked it.
            I like Desperate Measures the best I think because it was the first ep I saw of Stargate and I also liked the way Sam fought the bad guys...right to the end when she was tied up and knew she was about to die
            I like Proving Ground because I like watching Sam teaching the kids at the academy...I like that kinda stuff...she's so darn smart!
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

i liked her in 48 hours, her character works great with Mckay

she was also good in meridian and revelations

Anyone who gives me green is sexy, wanna be sexy? Give me Green! Woopie!

CLICK THE PIC!

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                Ok here I come again

Season 5 was overall again a good season for AT, her character became clearer, you saw that she also had a personal life. But that her work did mean everything for herself. You also get to know her as a friend, a family. In season 5 she became much more that the soldier, the scientist. She became human with her mistakes. She made a few in season 5, that what makes sam that beautiful.

Enemies:
                *There are some really good scenes in it but overall here you can see soldier Sam, and you got the love when she really plays that. When she has a gun in her hands it looks so normal to her. I mean it really fits her. It is not that it looks forced or anything.
                *I really love the scene when they go for the first time in the Hatak vessel of Apophis and she just goes throw all the hall ways with her gun in her hand. And the talk she has with O'neill about that is fun to her. It is really funny but on the other side you see that she really means it. that she really likes being a soldier.

*the whole discussion with sam, jacob and jack about will they make it or will they not make it. The looks she gave jack when she walks past him to fix the hyperdrive. and that line: 'welcome to my life' is just so funny. But also says so much about the relationship she had with her dad in the past. Before he was blended with Selmak

*when she is locked up in that room(don't know anymore wich one it was but it wasn't a holdingcell) and she tries to fix the door so they can go out and then Teal'c shoots at her. The look on her face says that she was just so surprised but also that she was scared. I really love that look what she was giving there. I really can't describe what it says for me but that is a really great look
                *when she is shooting at the replicators, you really see that she is devoted to her work and that she really hates the replicators.and the way she acts it.

Ascension:
                *that ep is such a great episode for Sam.Here you know a little bit more about her life, or the life she doesn't have. you see here that her works mean everything for her. But at the same time you also see that she can bind with someone and care for a person. And if she does that regs don't mean that much to her. even if she always tries to follow them.
                *the first time she opens the power source of the wapen. the look on her face, is so cute and adorable and you see how much she enjoys it. And she knows that O'neill just said not to touch anything but still it is something she just wants to do...so she doesn't really care about it. It is like a kid in a candystore.

*when she is talking to Janet about her passing out on the planet. you see the friendship they have.

*and then the talk she has with O'neill about the fact that she has to relax a little bit. And the fact that you see that she doesn't really have a personal life. For her SGC means everything, that is her life.

*when she sees Orlin for the first time in her citchen. that says so much about her. I mean she is scared about the fact that he is there. But she is also surprised and she doesn't know how to react on him. She has no idea what he is or what he is doing there. she also is a little mad. And you can all see that in one look. The look she gave to him says so much about her character.

*the sharing thing with Orlin...What a great moment and the conversation before it. Here you actually she the best what a good character Sam is and how good AT plays that part. Every time I see it I am amazed by it.

*when Teal'c and O'neill come to her house to watch a movie and have pizza togheter. how uncomfortable she is with that and how she has to talk her out of it. She is so convincing with it
                *when she has the fight with Simmons about the fact that they are still spying on her. You she is dissapointed but at the same time she is really upset by it.
                *The goodbye of Orlin...how emotional that scene is and that is all because of AT great acting

2001:
                *when she is doing her techno babbel to all the man. She does it so great. It is so natural.

*when she knows that the ashen are not what they seem they are. And than the fact that she has to go through the stargate and have to leave Joe. And the pain she has after it from falling on the ground.

48 hours
                *just every scene with MacKay and her. the interaction between them is so great.

summit/last stand
                *when she tells that joke about yu. It is really told not funny but she really tries it and that makes it that funnier
                *when she is talking about savind Martouf live. And knowing she will never see Martouf again. she is so sad about the fact that he is dead and she knows that it is her fault. But in the meantime she is also mad at the tok'ra because they let him die and rescued lantash.

*when she knows lantash is in the body of elliot the surpirse on her face.

*and when she says goodbye to Elliot and Lantash for the second time. that is really an emotional scene where I really have it hard to not cry. She does it that serene. You know that she finds it hard but she is not the emotional cause she knows that is the only way it can go.

Meredians:
                *here you see the emotional Sam because she has to say goodbye to one of her best friends. Just every moment she does it so great. So I am just going to post screencaps cause they say so much more than words.

What a fantastic post, RCtje Thanks so much for posting the pics with your comments - it's so much fun to remember these great AT scenes!

Comment

They were all wonderful episodes, as always. Here are a few highlights.

Enemies: This was just a cool episode! AT always does a great job of playing Soldier Sam.
                  Threshold: When Teal'c tried to get Sam to let him go. AT is great in those emotional type scenes.
                  Ascension: The scene when Sam and Orlin 'bonded'. AT also does a good job of showing us Downtime Sam, something we rarely get to see.
                  Between Two Fires: At the very end when they hear Narim's final message. Again, AT just does those scenes SO well.
                  Desperate Measures: The entire episode. Just wow.
                  48 Hours: Getting fed up with McKay. AT and DH have such a great chemistry! They were great to watch together. I really hated McKay after that though. Love him now!
                  Last Stand: Saying goodbye to Lantash/Elliot. AT showed the inner turmoil associated with Jolinar/Martouf/Lantash.
                  The Warrior: I just love that tiny smirk she gives after she demonstrates the P-90. Too cute!
                  Meridian: Sam's worry for Daniel and her talk with him.
                  Revelations: Missing Daniel. I liked her scene with Osiris as well.

I just have to say Amanda is SO expressive. When she's sad, I want to hug her. When she smiles, I smile. She conveys what her character is feeling so well that you feel it too. Great job Amanda!

Comment

my sam acting eps. all of these had flaws FOR sam, but sam herself was good in them

ascension ok, the flaws? that sam was made so pathetic and that the boys never had thier 'come to jesus' moment from her. i think the writers dropped teh ball on the fallout. but sam herself, we got to see something of her, something of her life and get an idea about the conflicts she lives with.

fifth man - i loved pissy sam in this one. loved how she stood up to hammond and simmons. this was a 'take no prisoners' sam

summit/last stand - i loved seeing the fallout from lantash/martouf. seeing sam live with her past and her actions. seeing her face her mistakes and, really, this was the last time we saw her and jolinar

meridian i loved seeing sam deal with daniel's death. how she tried to help and how much it effected her when she couldn't. she really grieved for daniel and we saw that

revelation- this is oneo f my fave eps. her and teal'c have a moment, sam reluctantly goes on the mission, doesn't want to go but does her duty anyway. i loved teh tense grief between all teh guys, the visible pain of daniel's death. and at did her part so well. she asn't the weepy female, she was just a person trying to survive a loss

desperate measures - the whump slut in me loves this one, even as i shake my head at the flaws. i didn't like how jack focused it became in the end, but i did like how sam never stopped fighting. never gave up and - to me - was working on staying alive until the boys could come. i think that was her little anchor, stay alive until the boys come.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Lots to choose from again, but I think I went for the ones that maybe seem a little less obvious. I don't know....AT was great in Ascension, 2001 and Desperate Measures but these were the episodes/scenes that stood out to me the most:

Meridian -- Although I usually consider this a Daniel episode, AT had some beautifully done scenes at Daniel's bedside. I've always loved the strong emotional ties among the original SG-1 team....they were more family than anything else and I think that shines through here. Sam's not just sad at losing a friend---her grief comes from deep within her as she says good-bye to Daniel. AT conveys that beautifully...

Revelations -- AT plays Sam with an edginess not usually seen in Sam. Still mourning Daniel and genuinely resentful of Jack and Teal'c's refusal to mourn him, AT gives Sam an undercurrent of resentment that's always just right, never too much, never too little. I loved the "way-of-the-warrior-crap" line she threw at Teal'c. Even in the closest of families....

Rite of Passage -- Great scenes with AT and TR.... Sam's scenes with Cassandra show a side of Sam we don't get to see very often---a combination of Big Sister/Auntie Sam. Teasing Cassandra about the kiss was a nice touch....

48 Hours -- AT and DH have a nice chemistry between them so it was great watching AT play Sam with a competitive edge and lots of snark. I also loved the depth of intensity in her perseverance in getting Teal'c back safely. Sam can really dig in her heels when she refuses to give up and AT pulls it off very nicely....

Comment

Ascension was memorable: simply great... but the others cited, not so much for me
                        Hallowed is RepliCarter!

Hallowed are the Ori...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          ascension ok, the flaws? that sam was made so pathetic and that the boys never had thier 'come to jesus' moment from her. i think the writers dropped teh ball on the fallout. but sam herself, we got to see something of her, something of her life and get an idea about the conflicts she lives with.
                          I agree. Ascension was never one of my favorite episodes.
                          sigpic

Comment

For me it was a toss up between Meridian and Revelations....but I went with Meridian...

Comment

i voted for ascension, meridian, revelations and 48 hours.
                              48 hours stood out for the whole mckay/sam dynamic she had going. that was a load of fun.
                              i liked the way she showed sam's grief over daniel in revelations and meridian.
                              ascension, well that was just some more great acting..
                              sigpic
                              http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                              http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X