Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone else prefer Series 9 of SG1 before Sam returned?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone else prefer Series 9 of SG1 before Sam returned?

I know I may get some neg for this, but it's just the way it felt for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate her, I've LOVED her role in the previous seasons... she's been vital and a WONDERFUL character, but when she showed up in Beachhead in S9 and after that it seemed like her presence was having a negative effect... I can't entirely explain it, but I didn't want her around. Anyone else get this idea?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
    I know I may get some neg for this, but it's just the way it felt for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate her, I've LOVED her role in the previous seasons... she's been vital and a WONDERFUL character, but when she showed up in Beachhead in S9 and after that it seemed like her presence was having a negative effect... I can't entirely explain it, but I didn't want her around. Anyone else get this idea?
    Um, no! In fact, the other way around. Sam's return and teaming up with Teal'c and Daniel is what I looked forward to in Season 9's Beachhead. I wanted the dynamics of these three together to be the foundation for Cam's earning his place on the team. Unfortunately, it did not turn out that way. The earning part. NO snarkiness intended.
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I have to say that I agree with you, Nell. I definitely missed the good old team dynamics between Sam, Teal'c, and Daniel.

Comment

I missed her, but I still enjoyed the episodes she wasn't involved in. It was good to see her return though.

Comment

I'm with you Bennet. I love Sam, but it did feel a little off when she came back in.

I kinda grew to feel over the series that she belonged in the O'Neill era as it were. I thought the three boys and Vala were beginning to develop a wonderful dynamic of their own.

It's a weird feeling to have, not wanting a fave character around but I'm with you. Re-introducing Sam did feel...perhaps not wrong but certainly not right.

Will green intelligent debates, not just those who share my views. Challenge - always.

Comment

I don't think it was so much Sam having a negative effect, as it was this ubiquitous lack of energy. I think Daniel found a wonderful sparring partner in Vala, and that seemed revitalize the entire cast. When she disappeared, it was kind of like "business as usual" and there seemed to be less of a spark evident. Plus I don't think the producers/writers did a very good job of providing a compelling back story for Mitchell. Browder is a good actor, but his character was so underdeveloped he seemed to blend into the scenery. Hopefully the return of Vala and deeper characterization of all the new characters will make season 10 as good as I hope it will be.

Comment

Nope - in fact I skipped all the eps without Carter (did watch 15 minutes of the premiere and tuned out after that) and only watched once she returned.

Comment

Her being there or not being there really didn't effect me. I preferred those eps because of Vala. I do have to say that I like that they didn't just bring Carter back, they brought back the competent, intelligent scientist.

Comment

no.

but i *did* get the feeling that the show was better BEFORE season 9.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

I can't say Sam's return had a negative effect on my enjoyment of the show. Actually, personally, I was more then happy to have her back.
                    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by nell
                      Um, no! In fact, the other way around. Sam's return and teaming up with Teal'c and Daniel is what I looked forward to in Season 9's Beachhead. I wanted the dynamics of these three together to be the foundation for Cam's earning his place on the team. Unfortunately, it did not turn out that way. The earning part. NO snarkiness intended.

Same for me. I think what hurt the show for me was not Sam's return, but the poor characterization of Mitchell. Everything was off because he wasn't written as a believable leader, IMO. He's too jarring and inconsistent.

I also think that season 9 was not very good precisely because there was too little of Sam in season 9. The writers had the opportunity to do something creative in regard to her absence and they didn't do it.

IMO, I didn't care for Daniel at all in the first five episodes. I'm glad MS had a good time, but I didn't care to watch the Vala/Daniel dynamic for so much of the first five episodes. Mitchell should have been given a chance to develop much earlier in season 9. They kept him in the background, and then he came out front and center in a sort of shocking way---a way that I found difficult to get used to. We didn't really learn about him within the dynamics of the team. Vala was better integrated than Mitchell even though Mitchell was in 20 episodes.

Hopefully, the team dynamic will be better in season 10. The main reason I continue to watch is because Sam is still in the show.

Comment

Originally posted by nell
                        Agreed! To me it seemed that Sam, Teal'c and the Jackson had that bondness when she returned, I have to get used to the fact that she is Colonel though.

And yeh it seems Mitchell hasn't earnt his place even though we know why he is in SG-1 in the first place!

And now we have to get used to the fact that there is Vala on the books.

What I really think the show needs is character development of Mitchell and Vala. And to be honest with you the episode where Mitchell had to decide wether to tell his friend or not what he does was crap, they tried to make it a character development episode but it didn't work.

They also need to show a lot more personal relationships between the characters, especially between Mitchell and Sam/Jackson, because it seems like both Jackson and Sam knew Mitchell before. Plus Teal'c and Mitchell coz it does not seem like Teal'c has the respect for Mitchell like he does for O'Neill, that is something that can grow very easly on the show over the next few seasons .

But I really miss those character bonding epiodes like 'Solitudes', 'Need', 'Message in a Bottle', 'Legacy', 'Tangent', 'Chain Reaction', 'Absolute Power', 'Threshold', 'Meridian - especially', 'Fallen', 'Orpheus'. And probably even more.

These eps don't come about no more, especially in Atlantis.
                        I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          no.

but i *did* get the feeling that the show was better BEFORE season 9.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

sally

Sorry Officer Bennett, I am with majorsal.
                          I chalk it up to tptb's pubescent lust for the Vala character - distracting them to the point where Sam is more or less wallpaper. I feel the depth of Sam's character is harder to write for.

In hindsight, if BSG can take a hiatus to assure continuity and quality after thier second season, why didn't SG-1? Amanda's maternity leave was a good reason to take the opporunity to regroup - especially with the challenges they faced with S9 - eight straight years of quality eposides without a break, working double duty with S2 of Atlantis, the additon of three new characters to the original mix, and development of a new enemy storyline.

Two days and ?? hours left to see if SG-1 gets their mojo back. I hope my new wave of optimistism turns out to be an awesome ride.
                          A Symbiote

Comment

Originally posted by The Ori

They also need to show a lot more personal relationships between the characters, especially between Mitchell and Sam/Jackson, because it seems like both Jackson and Sam knew Mitchell before. Plus Teal'c and Mitchell coz it does not seem like Teal'c has the respect for Mitchell like he does for O'Neill, that is something that can grow very easly on the show over the next few seasons .

But I really miss those character bonding epiodes like 'Solitudes', 'Need', 'Message in a Bottle', 'Legacy', 'Tangent', 'Chain Reaction', 'Absolute Power', 'Threshold', 'Meridian - especially', 'Fallen', 'Orpheus'. And probably even more.
                            All Hallowed is this Ori
                            A Symbiote

Comment

Originally posted by Gategal36
                              I don't think it was so much Sam having a negative effect, as it was this ubiquitous lack of energy. I think Daniel found a wonderful sparring partner in Vala, and that seemed revitalize the entire cast. When she disappeared, it was kind of like "business as usual" and there seemed to be less of a spark evident. Plus I don't think the producers/writers did a very good job of providing a compelling back story for Mitchell. Browder is a good actor, but his character was so underdeveloped he seemed to blend into the scenery. Hopefully the return of Vala and deeper characterization of all the new characters will make season 10 as good as I hope it will be.
                              My thought exactly

Comment

Working...
                              X