X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYC newspapers cover Stargate season premieres

New York Post
    July 9 2006

TWO out-of-this-world dramas orbit back to earth on Friday night. First up is the tenth season of “Stargate SG-1,” where the team of well-dressed outer space hunks led by Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell (Ben Browder) struggles to overcome massive setbacks following its defeat by the Ori motherships. Over on “Stargate Atlantis,” now in its third year, Lt. Col. John Sheppard must save his pals McKay (David Hewlett) and Ronon (Jason Momoa) from the evil Wraith.

Contains a spoilerish picture from Stargate Atlantis

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...dder/nyp01.jpg

Meanwhile the NY Daily News had a nice snippet on Beau Bridges which is posted here:

http://wraithfodder.livejournal.com/5727.html

Anyone else peeved at this line?
    'First up is the tenth season of “Stargate SG-1,” where the team of well-dressed outer space hunks led by Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell '
    I'm glad the show was mentioned in the paper at all, and I'm not too bothered that they're saying the team is lead by Mitchell.. what I don't like is the 'well-dressed space hunks' part!! Sure, they're pretty to look at (Daniel especially!) but that's not what the show's about and I'm afraid it's rather misleading to anyone who hasn't SEEN Stargate before.

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
      Anyone else peeved at this line?

I'm glad the show was mentioned in the paper at all, and I'm not too bothered that they're saying the team is lead by Mitchell.. what I don't like is the 'well-dressed space hunks' part!! Sure, they're pretty to look at (Daniel especially!) but that's not what the show's about and I'm afraid it's rather misleading to anyone who hasn't SEEN Stargate before.
      Well, the 'hunk' description seems to be destined to stay in the vernacular of all tv critics, although whenever i see that word, I think of cheddar cheese (as in a hunk of cheese). Alas, to some people, pretty is what pulls them in and I think a certain age group is more prone to judging on looks alone than on the acting ability.

But I suppose we should be lucky it wasn't an article mentioned the scantily clad team or something,... BSG seems to promote sex over everything in most of their ads.

Comment

Well, Mitchell is the team leader, and everyone on the team is exceptionally good looking. So... it seems like a fair statement to me.

Comment

I chuckled when I read the "well-dressed outer space hunks" part. It's snarky and a lot of TV snippets are written that way these days.

Comment

I'm sad to hear that: where these snippets are written to appeal to fans on the basis of physical appearance. I shouldn't be shocked though, lol, as our society is heavily based on it. Just.. wish it was different, know what I mean? Anyway, still glad that SG got mentioned at all!

Comment

Well it's cool that NYC is covering it and any news is good news! "well-dressed outer space hunks" as for that, doesn't bug me because I think they are hot lol but hunks isn't the word I'd chosen

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                I chuckled when I read the "well-dressed outer space hunks" part. It's snarky and a lot of TV snippets are written that way these days.
                The critics are becoming more savage in their critiques than fans, and then the fans go and complain Anyway, AT LEAST the NYC critics can identify David Hewltt in the one picture, whereas in Entertainment Weekly, they show a pic of David Hewlett and identify him as Joe Flanigan. Sigh....

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                  The critics are becoming more savage in their critiques than fans, and then the fans go and complain Anyway, AT LEAST the NYC critics can identify David Hewltt in the one picture, whereas in Entertainment Weekly, they show a pic of David Hewlett and identify him as Joe Flanigan. Sigh....

The use of "hunks" made me cringe as well.....

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42

The use of "hunks" made me cringe as well.....
                    Just as bad as when the actresses are referred to as 'babes'. Alas, they use what they think sells.

Comment

Just as bad as when the actresses are referred to as 'babes'. Alas, they use what they think sells.
                      Sadly.....

It's hard to say which is worse.....

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
                        I'm sad to hear that: where these snippets are written to appeal to fans on the basis of physical appearance. I shouldn't be shocked though, lol, as our society is heavily based on it. Just.. wish it was different, know what I mean? Anyway, still glad that SG got mentioned at all!
                        You're reaaaaaly overthinking this, you know that?

Comment

No. I don't. In fact, the very first reaction I got from reading the snippet was, 'oh god, space hunks?' Sure, it'll draw in the more superficial crowds who value appearance over actual content (characters and plots). That's just sad to me. But whatever.

Comment

The critics are becoming more savage in their critiques than fans, and then the fans go and complain
                            I hate "snarky" critics. It seems all too many critics these days are more concerned about filling their reviews with "witty" (negative) remarks that make them look smart rather than giving an actual fair and useful review.
                            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                              I hate "snarky" critics. It seems all too many critics these days are more concerned about filling their reviews with "witty" (negative) remarks that make them look smart rather than giving an actual fair and useful review.
                              Going slightly off track now. TV Guide has some of the rudest critics out there. I guess that kind of attitude 'sells' to the younger generation but puts off others. There's 'snark' and then there's downright being an idiot.

Of course, in some respects I can't blame critics for the snark. In order to keep their jobs, they have to watch a lot of crappy movies and TV!

Comment

Working...
                              X