PDA

View Full Version : Best Actor in SG-1?

Naonak
June 30th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Who do you think is the best actor in Stargate SG-1? I mean regulars, although if you think a guest star or recurring guest star deserves it, mention them as well.

Don't start bashing the actors you don't like - I don't want any "??? is a terrible actor" posts.

Lokii
June 30th, 2006, 03:53 AM
RDA all the way.

Naonak
June 30th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Guess I should probably add my opinion to this...

Richard Dean Anderson is/was probably the best, although I think Michael Shanks is a pretty close second.

Lokii
June 30th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Guess I should probably add my opinion to this...

Richard Dean Anderson is/was probably the best, although I think Michael Shanks is a pretty close second.

I would agree with that. As the show developed the chemistry between RDA, Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge and Michael Shanks became pretty damn good. You don’t see that kind of screen chemistry too often IMO. Throw in Don Davis and the rest of the developed secondary characters and you have one pretty dam good show.

Chelle DB
June 30th, 2006, 04:20 AM
I voted for Amanda. RDA is funny but Amanda is all that and more!!!

Lokii
June 30th, 2006, 04:26 AM
I voted for Amanda. RDA is funny but Amanda is all that and more!!!

How did I know you would vote for AT?

TheWarrior
June 30th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Voted for RDA - but again like in the Atlantis vote, all the actors/actresses are on equal par.

sleeky
June 30th, 2006, 05:27 AM
we all know rda:jack: and chris judge:tealc: are the best 2 actor combinations ever on any tv show specially in the window of oportunities

RepliCartertje
June 30th, 2006, 06:46 AM
I voted for Amanda Tapping. Because she can do it all. She can do emotional scenes, she can be the 'soldier', she can be bad as replicarter,...
I love her the best but the other actors are also great

defending
June 30th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Richard

Stricken
June 30th, 2006, 06:55 AM
RDA all the way!!

shipper hannah
June 30th, 2006, 08:16 AM
i voted AT.
RDA is good, but AT is so underrated.
the kind of acting you see from hollywood nowadays can be pretty rubbish

Allestian
June 30th, 2006, 08:21 AM
RDA all the way!!!

:P

Erin
June 30th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Michael Shanks... Lifeboat anybody? Excellent actor!

Pharaoh Atem
June 30th, 2006, 10:19 AM
micheal rick and ben and chris

ReganX
June 30th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Amanda Tapping gets my vote for best actor, though Richard Dean Anderson, Chris Judge, Michael Shanks, Don S Davis and Corin Nemec all deserve honourable mentions.

keshya
June 30th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Easy question

RDA
He used to be a talking mime! How could anyon compete with that?

MS and AT come in second

Kindhoney
June 30th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I must say Christopher Judge it must be hard to play Teal'c and then RDA, Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping and the rest of them for the series to last as long as it has.

L.A. Doyle
June 30th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Amanda Tapping! She is absolutely amazing. She's one of the things that kept me through S9. Not only is she a fabulous actress, she's an equally fabulous person. :sam:

Kliggins
June 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM
RDA with Amanda a close second. :)

Betcha never saw that coming ;)

Jackgirl
June 30th, 2006, 06:31 PM
DEFINITELY RDA! :jack_new_anime18: Watch Abyss, Lost City Part II, and Cold Lazarus for some good examples of his fine acting! (Not to mention fine everything else! ;) )

Madeleine
June 30th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I voted for MS. They're all really good, but MS has demosntrated a versatility that no one else has. To an extent that's because MS has been given more chances to act more different characters than anyone else has, but also he just does it better than anyone else.

CJ is perfect as teal'c. Teal'c is as much the best-acted character as Daniel is, and in Holiday and Changeling where we've seen a different side of CJ I've been impressed. He'd be my second choice.

The best piece of acting in the entire show is MS's monologue in the infirmary, after Janet's death. Marvellous stuff. The second best is the RDA/MS stuff in act 3 or 4 of Abyss. RDA owns the screen, and MS is excellent support.

Willow'sCat
June 30th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Richard Dean Anderson. I have always loved his way of acting, and he puts a lot into delivering the dramatic moments as well as the comical.

chocdoc
June 30th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I voted for Amanda Tapping. I loved how she played Sam in the early episodes, such as in Singularity, Solitudes, In the Line of Duty, Tok'ra I and II, and Jolinar's Memories, but I think we got to see AT's range of skills most in seasons 7 and 8. She was able to play different aspects of Sam, as well as play different Sams altogether such as Replicarter and GeekySam.

Agent_Dark
June 30th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Amanda, closely followed by Chris. I would have voted for him too but alas, only one vote.

Uber
June 30th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Amanda Tapping. Without question.

Her range is phenomenal...from really angsty to funny to quirky to ice cold rage...and everything in between. There's a reason TPTB double her more than anyone else. She's able to add nuances to the various Carters and make them completely different from each other.

Gate gal
June 30th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Sorry RDA, but you are not with us full time anymore! I had to go with AT on this one.

TJK
June 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I have to say Michael Shanks. Don't get me wrong, Amanda, Chris and Richard are all amazing too, but MS has just gotten to do so meny different moods and charactors. He always seems to be playing the crazy guy though, everything super insane happens to him it seems.:) But he dose a really good job with it! So I'm going with Michael.

Osiris-RA
June 30th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Mmf! I can't choose between RDA and AT!

It's all a superb cast though. Those two'd have to be my favorites though.

majorsal
June 30th, 2006, 08:53 PM
my choice?

AMANDA TAPPING, all the way! ;)

sally :D

aacid
June 30th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I'd have to say Christopher Judge. Teal'c's stoicism is unmovable, and I know that this has to be difficult. This is a sign of a good actor, especially as Judge seems to be very affable in real life as shown on some dvd extras. The entire cast is great however, I just think that Judge does a very good job with a tough part.

tara3583
June 30th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I voted for Amanda as imho she can make you feel and draw you in without any lines just by looking at her face.
RDA,CJ,MS,TR and DSD all have added to what is a very special show among so many run of the mill type of shows!:)

Dani347
July 1st, 2006, 01:17 AM
Going strictly on the work on Stargate, MS. Surprise, coming from me, huh?;) He extremely versatile. He can play nuts without overdoing it. He's been boyish, naive, wise, petulant, menacing, caring, ruthless, heartbroken. Sometimes a combination of 2 or more all in one episode. He has great chemistry with everyone.

Flygirl
July 1st, 2006, 03:36 AM
RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON NO QUESTION!!!!!!!! http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/briten/jack_new21.gif CHEERS!!

scarimor
July 1st, 2006, 04:25 AM
If Teryl Rothery were there it would have been a tough choice between her and Amanda Tapping; but she isn't, so AT get the cigar :)

Sg Gato
July 1st, 2006, 07:24 AM
Definitely Amanda Tapping. She got it all - brains, personality, looks, versatility. Need I say more. :sam: :)

I'm Just Sayin'
July 1st, 2006, 07:28 AM
I voted AT. MS is a close second. RDA does what he does very well, but the range and versatility of AT and MS is amazing. From soldier Sam, to daughter Sam, angsty Sam, TBFTGOG Dr. Carter, Point of View Sam, RepliCarter, Jolinar, Geeky Sam, etc. each version is uniquely different and believable.

DEM
July 1st, 2006, 08:42 AM
stupid subscription post:

voted AT; honourables for CJ and CN.

ForeverSg1
July 1st, 2006, 09:31 AM
This was a very very hard decision for me. Why? Because Daniel Jackson was the character that I fell in love with in the movie and I thought MS did an amazing job portraying the characteristics of Daniel that I adored from the movie. However, RDA is the actor who had me jumping up and down when I found out he was joining the cast. I've always loved RDA. I adore his humor and laid back style. CJ is wonderful to watch and I think he's done a fantastic job at making us care for this stoic character even though he is often under used in my opinion; but Amanda portrayed the character for whom I had the least amount of interest in when the show first started and due to her portrayal of Sam I have grown to love the character. I think MS, RDA, AT and CJ have all been brilliant over the years and I adore the chemistry they share together, but for me Amanda has done a superb job in spite of some of worst character storylines of the group and she did a phenomenal job with Replicarter and GeekSam. So while I would like to have voted for all four of the main characters, I give my vote to Amanda.

jckfan55
July 1st, 2006, 09:38 AM
AT and RDA are both great. I think RDA doesn't get enough credit for his more subtle moments.

the dancer of spaz
July 2nd, 2006, 12:24 AM
RDA, AT, MS and CJ are all great. What a great choice in a cast, if ten years is anything to go by. ;)

The team hooked me, and I fell in love with all of them from the beginning. However, AT has been the reason why I continued watching even when I felt like the team was being chipped away, piece by piece.

She's why I'll continue watching the show until they do something drastically stupid - and maybe even beyond that point. I never thought my viewership would depend upon any one of these actors, but if it was going to be anyone, her presence would probably be the deciding factor for me. Never thought that'd be the case, but she's proven her worth in spades in my opinion.

So she gets my official vote, but for the record, all four of them rock. :cool:

ParadoxRealities
July 2nd, 2006, 02:28 AM
AT first, then RDA very very VERY close second. maybe even tied, but Amanda's range is AMAZING. not just between different sams (in the sam scene, no less), but emotions. sometimes i think her silent is even better than CJs. always has some little look or expression to throw in, even if she's not the center of the scene. plus, she has to put up with more BS storylines (or lack there of) than RDA--who, admittedly, has earned his EP title;). still, Chris Judge is incredible, especially in how he's developed Teal'c in the background over the years, probably without help (read: sometimes hindrance) from TPTB. CBs very strong, great even, but i could never get into her style (like Vala though, for the most part). MS, while i tend not to remember him as much after the ep is over, is usually a blast to watch. and, as others have said, Lifeboat:). BBs never struck me as a strong actor, at least as the center of a scene. then again, my attention span isn't the world's longest.:o

silverdamascus
July 2nd, 2006, 02:46 AM
Oh, so difficult! I think with all the range that she's shown in such a small amount of time I'm going to have to come down on the side of Claudia Black.

Missster.Freeman
July 2nd, 2006, 02:31 PM
Richard Dean Anderson. It was his presence that drew me in and got me hooked to the series. I probably wouldn't have got into the Stargate TV show if RDA wasn't in the lead role.

L-JADE
July 2nd, 2006, 09:34 PM
Richard Dean Anderson all the way!
For someone who act a certain way in 7 seasons (MacGyver) he somehow can act differently in another series for 8 seasons. That is an achievement that's very hard to compare to the other actors in SG-1.
Yes, MS/AT/CJ shine in several episodes, but when TPB gave an episode totally to RDA (Abyss), he just blow me away.

scifi_girl
July 3rd, 2006, 02:29 AM
Amanda tapping, with rda second

berenikee
July 8th, 2006, 06:55 PM
RDA :jack:

DEM
July 25th, 2006, 05:35 AM
surely there are more than 142 who have an opinion? :zelenka25:

Gater_Gurl
July 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I picked RDA. But, IMHO, all the actors on Stargate SG-1, including the guest actors, are great.

Ronja
July 25th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Rick is the best allround, "everyday" actor...he does it so naturally ... I don't even feel like he's acting most of the time. I love it.

But I think Michael is better at the more intense moments. Ex: Lifeboat and Legacy ... where you have to step up a nodge and really show off your acting skills. Michael is amazing when he needs to be.

Lizlove
August 9th, 2006, 02:43 PM
AT all the way baby!!! :p :cool:

Sasusc
August 9th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I couldn't decide who was the better actor. I choose MS, because of his role for Lifeboat. He did an excellent job in that episode--playing multiple people. The other actors are great too, but I could only choose one.

aintright
August 9th, 2006, 06:46 PM
RDA -- no question -- he was the glue that made the show -- he always made those around him shine -- but then when needed he could do it all alone -- he was awesome in Abyss -- he just drew you in and kept you there -- but my fave -- where he really shined was Paradise Lost -- there is a huge time frame where he is the only one on the screen -- no words -- but he fills the screen -- he is more that just a talking head -- there is the facial expressions, verbal intonations, body language, the use of those hands to make a point, the little looks or the way he can crack you up with the brush of a hand -- the timing and deliverance of even the smallest lines -- obvious intelligence in the wit and humor -- the way he has developed Jack from season one until today -- so believable -- there is a hole in his absence that just can't be filled!

CeeKay Sheppard
August 10th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Boy, was that hard. Most of the actors on SG-1 are amazing, but in the end I went with Michael Shanks. I think he conveys the character's emotions better than anyone else – he makes me feel what Daniel feels; it's what makes Daniel my favorite character. Plus, Daniel has been posessed/drugged/otherwise altered so many times (most notably in "Lifeboat," though "Holiday" also stands out in my mind), and it takes a great actor to pull that off with any kind of believability.

Rosehawk
August 13th, 2006, 11:18 AM
This is hard because I think they are all excellent actors and it is the combination of all of their acting and characters that makes each other good.

But since you asked ;)

I had to go for Amanda. She has shown such versitility over the years. I started watching SG1 because RDA is a very talented actor and really stayed hooked because of Amanda.

Drk Star
August 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Lik Rodehawk said, all of the actors are really good, but I still have to go with Claudia Black. But Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, Ben Browder and Christopher Judge are all about the same.

Orici icirO
August 13th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Grrr i chose my favourite character which is Tealc:tealc:
I was supposed to choose my favourite actor which is amanda tapping:sam:

DaveSG-3
August 13th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Who do you think is the best actor in Stargate SG-1? I mean regulars, although if you think a guest star or recurring guest star deserves it, mention them as well.

Don't start bashing the actors you don't like - I don't want any "??? is a terrible actor" posts.
RDA all the way

Spacegirlnz
August 17th, 2006, 01:31 AM
YAY for Amanda Tapping!!!!!

the dancer of spaz
July 13th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Wow... The last post was in August of last year?

This is for the new blood then. :)

Nikki
July 13th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I haven't voted and won't because I just can't choose! RDA/AT are both soooo amazing! They come joint first and as my two favs are in the lead...I don't have to vote. :) If one of them slips to third, which I doubt with the way things are looking, I'll vote for that actor, but for now...RDA/AT ROCK! :D

Although I have to say Chris Judge is brilliant, definitely a close second. :)

Honourable Mentions: Michael Shanks, Teryl Rothery, Don S Davis and Carmen Argenziano. :)

saberhagen83
July 14th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Voted for Amanda. I think everyone on the show is great, they are all really good actors. But I think AT has really developed herself on SG1. She can more or less do anything now, and she does it really well.

petemoretti
July 14th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Technically the most accomplished actor is Amanda, but I like Rick more so he gets my vote...

scifithinker
August 9th, 2007, 10:11 AM
AT for range.

I like the comment one of the directors made in a commentary, that they could always count on Amanda for a reaction shot whether the action was focused on her or not.

the dancer of spaz
August 9th, 2007, 10:16 AM
AT for range.

I like the comment one of the directors made in a commentary, that they could always count on Amanda for a reaction shot whether the action was focused on her or not.

Oh man, I totally forgot about this thread! :D

Jenner8675309
August 11th, 2007, 11:25 PM
MacGyver, hands down ;)