What episodes feature the scenes
    where you feel that
    Amanda Tapping's
    wonderful acting talents
    get to shine

(without reference or consideration
    for hair or clothing styles...
    or ship or such... )

You can vote in the poll, and then post your comments in this thread. Comments and discussion may also overlap into the Sam's A Great Character Thread.

Pics that capture your favorite AT acting scene are greatly appreciated too!
    (A picture is worth a thousand words...)

If you want a reminder of what each episode was about... Season One

The Poll

-------

Over the years, we've discussed which episodes (and scenes) were the best, or most important, for the Stargate characters. We've run 'Best Episode' Polls for each season and such.

However, when trying to decide which episode was the best of a season for a certain character, such as Sam, one of the issues that fans have wrestled with is... whether to pick the episode which features the most/best AT on screen, or the episode which features the best Sam Carter scenes. Examples include Entity (which had some wonderful AT acting scenes, but she wasn't playing Sam Carter, as much as she was playing/acting an alien entity). Another example would be an episode with lots of RepliCarter, or Geek!Sam, where again, these are wonderful AT acting scenes, a wonderful look at AT acting out-of-the-regular-confines of the character of 'our' Sam Carter.

So, we've already done the 'Best Sam Carter' Episodes of each season (polls were done last year on the GW forum, and informal polls were also conducted again recently on the Sam's A Great Character Thread), and many have recommended that we should do some 'Best AT Acting Polls'... so here's the first one

Note: I seem to have figured out how to get the poll posted to the thread... but I can't seem to figure out how to go in and edit my typo (chose needs another 'o' to make choose! )

The Poll
    Children of the Gods
    2.43%
    The Enemy Within
    1.74%
    Emancipation
    9.72%
    The Broca Divide
    4.17%
    The First Commandment
    3.82%
    Cold Lazarus
    0.00%
    The Nox
    0.69%
    Brief Candle
    0.69%
    Thor's Hammer
    0.35%
    The Torment of Tantalus
    0.69%
    Bloodlines
    0.35%
    Fire and Water
    10.76%
    Hathor
    8.68%
    Singularity
    22.22%
    Cor-ai
    0.00%
    Enigma
    2.08%
    Solitudes
    20.49%
    Tin Man
    0.69%
    There But For the Grace of God
    6.94%
    Politics
    0.69%
    Within the Serpent's Grasp
    2.78%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by astrogeologist; 21 June 2006, 11:38 AM.

Ok. I voted for:
    Emancipation: This is the first episode I saw. The acting on AT's part was phenomenal (as always, I came to find out). The scenes with Turghan? *Shivers*
    The First Commandment: She showed Sam's inner conflict about Jonas very well-especially at the end when she's torn about what happened and what could have happened.
    Fire and Water: The beginning in the infirmary gets me every time. *sniffs* Also, when she remembered things that happened on the planet.
    Singularity: AT does the elevator scene SO well. That’s what I love about her. She’s not afraid to throw herself into a scene. I loved all the parts with Cassie as well.
    Solitudes: Man, I love this ep. I could feel her frustration and her determination. Great acting on AT's part!

Comment

I voted for:

Emancipation
      Singularity
      Solitudes
      Fire and Water
      scarimor

Comment

I don't want to copy scarimor but here I go:

Emancipation
        Fire and Water
        Singularity
        Solitudes

Comment

Ok here goes...

The enemy within:the scene where Kawalsky 'kidnapes' her into the elevator and how she handles it all... You can see that she is scared but she also knows that she has to be normal otherwise she can't escape... the way she talks to Kawalsky and everything make it that she is strong to not starts to panic. and when she hits the wall and lays injured... you really could think that she is hurt.

Emancipation: just the hole episode she acts wonderful but I love the scene with (can't remember his name) and how she reacts to him, the way she let her use but still is woman enough to resist it.

Fire and water: there are so much nice moments of sam in it... you see the emotional sam, they way she can't cope with the lost of Daniel but also the sam who wants to help out, here my favourit scenes:

Hathor: I really liked the scene where she is in the holding cell with Janet, the woman know that they have to do something and then they are going to seduce the boys... the way she react to the fact that she has to do that and everything...

Singularity: I know most of you will like that one cause you can see how much problems she has when there is a child involved to it and that she is military but still has her feeling and they are hard to deal with when she likes Cassie. favourit scene is when she is crying in the elevator

Solitudes: here you can see how much she is milatary but also that she can be frustrated when she can solve it... just love the hole ep. but when she is doing a splint for O'neill she is on her best

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you an explanation why I like the ep. and AT and also give some screencaps of it...

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
            and when she hits the wall and lays injured... you really could think that she is hurt.
            <snip>
            I know Amanda really did pass out when she did that scene. I just wonder... was that the scene they used afterwards? Or is she playing it?

Good ep BTW

Comment

Emancipation: just the hole episode she acts wonderful but I love the scene with (can't remember his name) and how she reacts to him, the way she let her use but still is woman enough to resist it.
              Turghan (he of the great bodice-ripper dialogue - "I value spirit in my horses, not my women." )

She's defiant but wary throughout her time as a captive. I do like the way AT portrays Sam as on edge during those scenes.

PS. I think this poll and thread deserves to be in General Stargate or Characters discussion
              Last edited by scarimor; 17 June 2006, 11:40 AM.
              scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove
                I know Amanda really did pass out when she did that scene. I just wonder... was that the scene they used afterwards? Or is she playing it?

Good ep BTW
                Actually according to Amanda, when Kawalsky slammed Sam into the wall in that elevator scene, the reason it looked so authentic was because Amanda had overcompensated during the stunt move and had actually ended up with a concussion. So when we see Sam slumping down into the elevator, it was not acting on Amanda's part.

I would assume that what we saw after she had been hurt was all filmed during the original scene. I doubt the other actor would have known Amanda had really been hurt until after he checked her. However, the scene where Jack and the gang open the door was probably filmed after they realized it.

Edit: Ooops, ignore my post. I seem to have misread your original statement.
                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 17 June 2006, 06:47 AM.

Comment

I voted for Singularity, Solitudes and There But For the Grace of God.

I think each of those performances were powerful, particularly the elevator scene in Singularity. One of the things that impresses me so much about AT in TBftGoG is her ability to slip into different personalities so effortlessly. Her AR Sam was essentially the same person as our Sam, but AT took the subtle differences between them and created a totally believable alter ego. (I know most actors are supposed to be able to do this, but I think this is one area where Amanda really shines.)

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    Actually according to Amanda, when Kawalsky slammed Sam into the wall in that elevator scene, the reason it looked so authentic was because Amanda had overcompensated during the stunt move and had actually ended up with a concussion. So when we see Sam slumping down into the elevator, it was not acting on Amanda's part.

I would assume that what we saw after she had been hurt was all filmed during the original scene. I doubt the other actor would have known Amanda had really been hurt until after he checked her. However, the scene where Jack and the gang open the door was probably filmed after they realized it.

Edit: Ooops, ignore my post. I seem to have misread your original statement.
                    Well I'm glad you posted it, because I didn't know any of that
                    scarimor

Comment

The episodes with the scenes I picked were 1st Commandment, Fire and Water, Singularity and There but for the Grace of God.

And I'll tell you why later...but I need to dig up piccies first.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Ok here goes...

The enemy within:the scene where Kawalsky 'kidnapes' her into the elevator and how she handles it all... You can see that she is scared but she also knows that she has to be normal otherwise she can't escape... the way she talks to Kawalsky and everything make it that she is strong to not starts to panic. and when she hits the wall and lays injured... you really could think that she is hurt.

Fire and water: there are so much nice moments of sam in it... you see the emotional sam, they way she can't cope with the lost of Daniel but also the sam who wants to help out, here my favourit scenes:

Hathor: I really liked the scene where she is in the holding cell with Janet, the woman know that they have to do something and then they are going to seduce the boys... the way she react to the fact that she has to do that and everything...

Singularity: I know most of you will like that one cause you can see how much problems she has when there is a child involved to it and that she is military but still has her feeling and they are hard to deal with when she likes Cassie. favourit scene is when she is crying in the elevator

Solitudes: here you can see how much she is milatary but also that she can be frustrated when she can solve it... just love the hole ep. but when she is doing a splint for O'neill she is on her best

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you an explanation why I like the ep. and AT and also give some screencaps of it...
                        Wonderful post, RC! And - great pics!

Comment

I picked Singularity, Fire and Water and Solitudes.

In Singularity Amanda did an awesome job of showing the discomfort Sam had at first with Cassie. She went through so many different emotions from the discomfort and nervousness to anger and love. Heck I'm just not as good as the rest of you in putting it in to words so...

Fire and Water well same reason...so many scenes and such a great performance!

Solitudes you felt Sam's anguish along with her.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
                            I picked Singularity, Fire and Water and Solitudes.

In Singularity Amanda did an awesome job of showing the discomfort Sam had at first with Cassie. She went through so many different emotions from the discomfort and nervousness to anger and love. Heck I'm just not as good as the rest of you in putting it in to words so...

Fire and Water well same reason...so many scenes and such a great performance!

Solitudes you felt Sam's anguish along with her.
                            What fantastic photo collages, JanSam! They are wonderful

Comment

It's hard not to tic off all of them But I'd have to list Singularity at the top of my list, followed by Solitudes, Emancipation and Fire and Water.

Whew that's a big list. What's amazing about Amanda in those shows is that you weren't just watching them, you were feeling what Sam was feeling, Amanda didn't always need words to convey what was going on, her acting ability brought you in and took you for a ride a long with Sam.
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                              X