Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It ended with a Whimper, not a Bang... @#$^#!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It ended with a Whimper, not a Bang... @#$^#!

What Sci Fi shows that you loved ended badly? There are tons out there so this isn't really a hard one to answer, but it sure as hell will be entertaining So, what Sci Fi shows have you watched over the years that you absolutely loved that had a really terrible ending?

Spoilers are allowed, so a warning in advance to Sci Fi buffs.

I'll start - Angel (from the Buffyverse). Some people loved the ending, I hated it. What the heck is the point of the entire show if half the main characters get bumped off (ok, it was only 1 or 2), and we don't get a "defininte" ending. I'm sorry, I have no sympathy for an ending that basically has the "good guys" rushing at the "bad guys," both sides screaming, and the show cuts to black.

wtf? Give me season 6 dammit. *grumble*

THE PRETENDER

I don't know if it was considered a Sci-Fi show but it deffinetly falls down the line of shows like John Doe. They ended before their time and on major cliff hangers. If you've never watched the show it was about a boy named Jarod who was kidnapped when he was very young because he was a genius. This place called the Centre used his genius for unsactioned government projects and had him run simulations to see what outcomes he could perceive from certian situations. One day he escapes and thats where the show kicks off, he is constantly being looked for but at the same time he is trying to find out who he is. This show outdated John Doe by a few years and was probably one of the best things the TV ever crapped out. It died too soon.

Comment

Quantum Leap

I hated that ending!! What, he's just stuck leaping forever and now Al doesn't even know him?? I would have greatly preferred that they killed Sam off over just leaving him in limbo.

Comment

Enterprise
        Voyager

Comment

Originally posted by Callista
          Quantum Leap

I hated that ending!! What, he's just stuck leaping forever and now Al doesn't even know him?? I would have greatly preferred that they killed Sam off over just leaving him in limbo.
          I totally agree with you. Sam really got screwed over IMO in the series finale. Never being able to go home; leaping forever. Destiny sure stuck it to him if you ask me. I really wish they had ended that differently. Overall, it was such a great show too. That's the part that really hurts.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
            I'll start - Angel (from the Buffyverse). Some people loved the ending, I hated it. What the heck is the point of the entire show if half the main characters get bumped off (ok, it was only 1 or 2), and we don't get a "defininte" ending. I'm sorry, I have no sympathy for an ending that basically has the "good guys" rushing at the "bad guys," both sides screaming, and the show cuts to black.

wtf? Give me season 6 dammit. *grumble*
            Angel's finale left me wanting as well. I just couldn't get over them ending it like that.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

The X-Files finale was terrible. They didn't even try to explain anything, and a pretty big chunk of the episode was a clip show!
              I didn't really like Enterprise (only watched season 1), but the finale was terrible. Even Enterprise didn't deserve that.

Comment

See I would say the opposite, Angel was always about the fight, never the ending. Angle was fighting to get the reward the Shanshu Prophecy promised yes, but really it was all about fighting for the sake of making things better, no matter what it takes or what it cost, and I felt that the ending to Not Fade Away, while infuriating in some ways, was perfect in others. Of course, each to his own.

The ending that I really hated was Firefly, damn you Fox!!!! Enterprise and X-Files were also pretty dreadful. And I've never been a fan of Buffy's last episode Chosen, it just seemed like a cop-out (edit>) at the end(<edit) , the slayer thing was good, but the amulet was a bit of a Huh?(of course it was resolved in Angel with the use of Lindsey, but still, not great )
                Last edited by The Signal; 17 June 2006, 12:30 PM.
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Enterprise. Complete anti-climax. Getting Troi and Riker out of the old folks home to give it some gravitas was stupid and insulting.
                  sigpic
                  "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                    And I've never been a fan of Buffy's last episode Chosen, it just seemed like a cop-out, the slayer thing was good, but the amulet was a bit of a Huh?(of course it was resolved in Angel with the use of Lindsey, but still, not great )
                    Wow, we're polar opposites then LOL - I LOVED LOVED LOVED Buffy's ending, I can't possibly tell you how much, I loved the fight, the climax, when they were fighting all those ancient Vampires the music was just AWESOME - I hadn't felt a chill going through me like that since then until Camelot, with the final battle - the music, the action, same awesome feeling. I hated Angel's ending but thought Buffy's couldn't have been better. Sure, if it were a 2 hour ender that would have been better, but for a 1 hour finale it was spectacular.

Comment

Wow, we're polar opposites then LOL - I LOVED LOVED LOVED Buffy's ending, I can't possibly tell you how much, I loved the fight, the climax, when they were fighting all those ancient Vampires the music was just AWESOME - I hadn't felt a chill going through me like that since then until Camelot, with the final battle - the music, the action, same awesome feeling. I hated Angel's ending but thought Buffy's couldn't have been better. Sure, if it were a 2 hour ender that would have been better, but for a 1 hour finale it was spectacular.
                      I think you misunderstood, the battle was friggin awesome, it was the "amulet saves everyone" bit that, for me ruined it.

I sent you a PM btw.
                      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod

The ending that I really hated was Firefly, damn you Fox!!!!
                        Yes but then we got Serenity which was a "Bang".

Did anyone here watch Strangedays at blake Holsey High (Black Hole High ins ome countries). The ending to that was nowhere near as good as it could have been and left so much unanswered. Still it was probably because they had to compress a whole season into one feature length episode and at least there was an ending.

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom
                          Indeed it was. What an awesome freaking movie IMO.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by AzMcNeil
                            THE PRETENDER

I don't know if it was considered a Sci-Fi show but it deffinetly falls down the line of shows like John Doe. They ended before their time and on major cliff hangers. If you've never watched the show it was about a boy named Jarod who was kidnapped when he was very young because he was a genius. This place called the Centre used his genius for unsactioned government projects and had him run simulations to see what outcomes he could perceive from certian situations. One day he escapes and thats where the show kicks off, he is constantly being looked for but at the same time he is trying to find out who he is. This show outdated John Doe by a few years and was probably one of the best things the TV ever crapped out. It died too soon.
                            Oy! How many seasons did it end up having? I suspect they jsut one day... stopped showing it here. I recall they were somewhere on a "Jarod (Jared?) looking for his mother\twin brother\ some relative or other".. and then it disappeared.

Sliders. Okay, I'm cheating here. It's not as much that I didn't like the ending as seasons 3-5, but. It can definitely be considered a whimper after seasons 1-2, can't ot?

Oh. Actually I thought the last episode was a much better ending than the Serenity. It felt too cliched. And the ending of the last episode was actually quite lovely, finally they were a family.
                            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                            Yes, I am!
                            sigpic
                            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Earth: Final Conflict started brilliantly, before dying a slow and miserable death. Over its last two seasons.

Star Trek (in general) seems to have died with a whimper. Deep Space Nine and First Contact were about the end of great Trek. Insurrection was so-so, while voyager, enterprise, and nemesis were complete wastes of celluloid. In a more specific sense though, classic Star Trek ended with a whimper too. It was a fantastic show, and "Turnabout Intruder" was a lousy final episode.

The X-Files ended rather poorly. I watched it on and off while it was still a big thing and its hype was fairly well deserved. Then I stopped watching for a few years and didn't tune back in till Robert Patrick was a regular cast member. The decline in quality was shocking.

Carnivale was an amazing show. And it ended reasonably well too--except for the fact that the story is not resolved! I have to admit, I have very mixed feelings about its end. It was cancelled largely because its head creative person--Ronald D. Moore--was leaving to start a new project: Battlestar Galactica. I love my BSG, but I loved Carnivale too.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X