This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi's Emmy site

SciFi has an Emmy site promoting shows it wants to get an Emmy nomination.

It's pretty interesting:

www.scifi.com/emmy

They're certainly puling out all the stops this year.....

Comment

Oh, what a surprise, nothing for either of the Stargates. I know it's not gonna get any acting or writing things, even though there's nothing wrong with them, but not even any behind-the-scenes things (effects, etc.)?

Comment

Frankly I think they're smart to do all this for BSG- if the show gets nominated, it doesn't even matter if it wins, the show will get noticed, hopefully draw more viewers, viewers will watch the show, see the ads for Stargate, and hopefully some of them will check it out. It might work, and it might not, but good on the sci-fi channel for trying.

Think of BSG as an ambassador for the sci-fi channel.

Stargate will never win emmys (and in my opinion Stargate isn't up to the calibre of BSG in any category- not even in VFX, but not trying to diss Stargate here, no one panic), so why not put the marketing resources to a show that potentially might get nominated?
        Last edited by Trek_Girl42; 08 June 2006, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I love BSG, but personally, IMO, it still doesn't have anything on SG-1. Just my own biased view of things, that's all.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
            I love BSG, but personally, IMO, it still doesn't have anything on SG-1. Just my own biased view of things, that's all.
            I have been the biggest SG-1 fan over the years. Never missed Sci Fi friday (unless I had to play a gig) and I was a fan of the movie so I instantly tuned into the show. With that said, I believe that BSG is fresher and more innovative show. The cinematography reminds me of NYPD Blue and the show is every bit as dramatic.The fact that it is in serial form makes it something that you WANT to tune into the next week. It keeps you coming back whereas SG-1 and Atlantis have primarily stand alone episodes. BSG deserves an Emmy IMO. I wish NBC had taken a gamble and shown it on network but the numbers that you have to draw to keep the show going may have been a challenge. Hopefully BSG is secure for a while on Sci Fi.

Comment

Sigh. So now Stargate is snobbed at by: critics, viewers of other television shows, some of the viewers of Stargate itself and now its own channel? Yay.

I, personally, think Stargate has done more than a brilliant thing or two over the years -including writing, directing and acting - that would have at least got it a nomination had it not been a science fiction show- especially considering some of the nominees and winners of past years.

Okay, I've never had the chance to watch an episode of BSG - maybe it really is the revolutionary and brilliant show it's promoted to be. I don't know. But having seen critics' opinion and the shows they reviewed before, I'm keeping that with a pinch of salt. But it's easier, I guess, to promote the show everyone is...especially when Bonnie HAmmer herself apparently thinks of Stargate as silly?

Sorry if this sounds a bit bitter, I guess I'm just tired of all the various people patronising Stargate, IMHO without justification.

And well, good luck for BSG. Perhaps if it would manage to get nominated people would start taking science fiction as a whole a bit more seriously
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                SciFi has an Emmy site promoting shows it wants to get an Emmy nomination.

It's pretty interesting:

www.scifi.com/emmy
                Heh, didn't I tell you BSG was their golden child now?

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry
                  Sigh. So now Stargate is snobbed at by: critics, viewers of other television shows, some of the viewers of Stargate itself and now its own channel? Yay.
                  It's worse on Sky One (UK). Stargate has been more or less their biggest show for several years - season 7 was the #1 satellite show in that year, and I think it's in the top five every year - but they don't even see the need to advertise it anymore. There wasn't a single advert for any of season 9, and it barely got a mention the magazine.
                  Wow, this thread has got really off-topic...

Originally posted by Pitry
                  But it's easier, I guess, to promote the show everyone is...especially when Bonnie HAmmer herself apparently thinks of Stargate as silly?
                  Who's Bonnie Hammer?

Comment

There is no point whatsoever in putting money towards Stargate in an Emmy campaign. It will never, ever gain any interest among Emmy voters no matter how much they're made aware of the show. BSG on the other hand actually stands a chance, so I don't see what the complaining is about (not necessarily in this thread, I think there was a lot somewhere else, just can't remember where), this has got to be the first time in several years that any sci-fi show has even a shot at mainstream awards and more importantly, attention and there are complaints that it's not Stargate? Come on guys, whether you watch BSG or not its time to be glad that something sci-fi is getting noticed; that can only aid the genre in gaining respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak

Who's Bonnie Hammer?
                      ... The person in charge of the SciFi channel, if I'm not mistaken.

Trek_Girl - I beg to differ. I've seen Emmy nomineers and winners for past year(s), and - again, at least in my opinion - I haven't seen things there that I haven't seen on Stargate. As I've said - I've never watched BSG and good luck for them for getting nominated, but I tend to remain sceptical it's that good - again, just MHO - due to prior experience with the critically acclaimed-hyped shows.
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                      X