Sci Fi, Fantasy, Both

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci Fi, Fantasy, Both

After the last "Best TV" show contest, I was struck by how differently I was treating Sci Fi and Fantasy shows and began to wonder.. how many of us have a clear preference for Sci Fi or Fantasy OR do we feel equally about them with no preference ?

So... Sci Fi, Fantasy or both?
    Last edited by kmiller1610; 05 June 2006, 03:51 PM.

I like Sci Fi and Fantasy equally, but I like Sci Fi more equally than Fantasy. I mean that, if there was a clash in the schedule between a Sci Fi and Fantasy show, well, it'd be the Sci Fi show for me.

And no, I didn't have a video recorder available at the time.
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

I largely prefer Scifi. I enjoy shows like Buffy and Angel but they are generally rarely that good. I certainly prefer scifi movies to fantasy. Depending on how well it's presented, a combination of the two can be good.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I like them both equally, but there are some mediums that sci-fi works better for, and some mediums that fantasy works better for.

Movies: Sci-fi
        TV series': Sci-fi, although I've seen some good mythology-inspired TV shows.

Short stories/collections thereof: Sci-fi
        Novels/series' of books: Fantasy all the way.

Comment

I definitely prefer Sci-Fi. Krull is the only fantasy I really liked.
          "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
          'Eleanor Roosevelt'
          Individuality is freedom lived.
          'Janis Joplin'

Comment

I like scifi more than fantasy, but I like both and I've been on a heavy fantasy kick in my reading materials lately. I'd say I'm more finicky in my fantasy pickings than in scifi, but I'm probably just as picky about my scifi, I just don't notice it as much because I'm more familiar that genre.

Comment

Movies: sci-fi
              TV: sci-fi
              Books: it's a split, but I've been reading fantasy much longer.

Comment

Fantasy, I dont know why but I just prefer the storylines and characters, they seem to be more filled out (exceptions are Firefly, BSG, Doctor Who (although only usually the Doctor is developed) and sometimes SG1). Give me Angel and Cordelia over Shepherd and Teyla anyday.
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

For books, definately prefer fantasy.
                  For viewing, Sci-Fi.
                  Thanks!
                  Jordan

my page
                  My LJ
                  From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Sci fi for me. It's so much more grown-up somehow (!).
                    Fantasy turns me right off.
                    *ducks incoming missiles*

Edit: Anything with dragons, elves or fairies makes me vomit.
                    sigpic
                    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

I prefer sci-fi and will almost always take a good sci-fi show before a good fantasy show.

As for books I´d say that either suits me fine. My collection of sci-fi/fantasy books is at around 400 titles (I think, long time since I counted ) and I think the ratio is fairly even. Fantasy may be a bit more prominent but only because I was into dragonlance and such stuff when I was young.

Comment

I probably like sci-fi and fantasy about equally, although I watch/read more sci-fi than fantasy. There's more good sci-fi TV and film around than fantasy.
                        If there was a fantasy show on at the same time as a sci-fi show, which one I'd watch would depend on what those specific shows were. Sometimes I'd choose sci-fi over fantasy (eg. SG-1 over Buffy), sometimes fantasy of sci-fi (eg. uh... fantasy show... fantasy show... oh! Angel over Battlestar Galactica (well, probably not, because Angel would be a repeat, but you get my point )).

Comment

I love science fiction more than fantasy, but I still enjoy some fantasy.

What I really love, though, is science fiction that incorporates elements that are normally fantasy--Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider's of Pern, for example. But that's only if the dragons are treated with respect and not made into mindlessly savage monsters, interested only in wrecking havoc. That goes for pure fantasy, as well.
                          sigpic
                          "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                          Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Hmmm--I read both and watch both on TV and movies, but I think Sci-Fi was my first love. I seem to like TV sci-fi better than TV fantasy, but I like to read fantasy more than sci-fi, at least nowadays. I used to much prefer to read sci-fi, but I don't think they write like they used to. Older sci-fi (Isaac Asimove, James Schmitz, Theodore Sturgeon, Zenna Henderson, Anne McCaffrey, etc.) is so much better than what's being written these days (well, in my opinion, anyway). Whereas, today's fantasy (Robin McKinley, Robin Hobbs, Melanie Rawn, Jennifer Roberson, etc.) seems much better than older fantasy.

Of course there are exceptions....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

I usually prefer Sci-Fi over Fantasy, but both can be very good when done right, and creatively.
                              Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Working...
                              X