This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Batwoman

I got this off of Yahoo this morning, it's and interesting read if nothing else. Do you think this is being done to capitalize on how lesbianism sells in the mass media these days?.

NEW YORK - Years after she first emerged from the Batcave, Batwoman is coming out of the closet. DC Comics is resurrecting the classic comic book character as a lesbian, unveiling the new Batwoman in July as part of an ongoing weekly series that began this year.

The 5-foot-10 superhero comes with flowing red hair, knee-high red boots with spiked heels, and a form-fitting black outfit.

"We decided to give her a different point of view," explained Dan DiDio, vice president and executive editor at DC. "We wanted to make her a more unique personality than others in the Bat-family. That's one of the reasons we went in this direction."

The original Batwoman was started in 1956, and killed off in 1979. The new character will share the same name as her original alter ego, Kathy Kane. And the new Batwoman arrives with ties to others in the Gotham City world.

"She's a socialite from Gotham high society," DiDio said. "She has some past connection with Bruce Wayne. And she's also had a past love affair with one of our lead characters, Renee Montoya."

Montoya, in the "52" comic book series, is a former police detective. Wayne, of course, is Batman's true identity — but he has disappeared, along with Superman and Wonder Woman, leaving Gotham a more dangerous place.

The "52" series is a collaboration of four acclaimed writers, with one episode per week for one year. The comics will introduce other diverse characters as the story plays out.

"This is not just about having a gay character," DiDio said. "We're trying for overall diversity in the DC universe. We have strong African-American, Hispanic and Asian characters. We're trying to get a better cross-section of our readership and the world."

The outing of Batwoman created a furor of opinions on Web sites devoted to DC Comics. Opinions ranged from outrage to approval. Others took a more tongue-in-cheek approach to the announcement.

"Wouldn't ugly people as heroes be more groundbreaking?" asked one poster. "You know, 200-pound woman, man with horseshoe hair loss pattern, people with cold sores, etc.?"

DiDio asked that people wait until the new Batwoman's appearance in the series before they pass judgment.

"You know what? Judge us by the story and character we create," he said. "We are confident that we are telling a great story with a strong, complex character."

DiDio spent most of the morning fielding phone calls from media intrigued by the Batwoman reinvention.

"It's kind of weird," he said. "We had a feeling it would attract some attention, but we're a little surprised it did this much."
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Lesbian Batwoman? Not that bothered. Holding out for a new superhero called Thunderwoman or the Zovirax Kid myself.
    sigpic
    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Infinite Crisis was stupid and after seeing what they did with the previous Batgirl One Year Later, I am not optimistic about Batwoman.

Comment

well, they had a "slow" batgirl at one time.... why not? this'll be interesting
        I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
        sigpic

Comment

Dopey publicity stunts like this is one of the reasons I stopped reading comics many years ago. And judging from this news, it's nice to see I'm not missing much.

Sean

Comment

i don't actually go out and buy comics... i read internet archieves and visit fan sites and watch the televised versions.... i just think is gonna be fun
            I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mcfergeson
              Dopey publicity stunts like this is one of the reasons I stopped reading comics many years ago. And judging from this news, it's nice to see I'm not missing much.

Sean
              I totally agree with you McFergeson, this is being done as a publicity stunt so they can sell extra comics to the young readers that will find this exciting in a sexual way. That being said It will interesting to see just how racy and sexual they make the new Batwoman comic books?.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Regular DC comic books don't have sex or profanity. They're incredibly violent, but no sex or profanity.

Comment

Well to be honest i heard of this reading the paper and thought okay this may ruin the old batwoman comic or view not read them mind you but i know there somewhat of classics.

But suppose it will sell comics to old people not just the kids, but really does someone of say 5 who buys a comic do they really need to learn about lesbian nature or see that kind of stuff in a comic?

Comment

I don't really see this as a publicity stunt. 1 in 30 Americans are gay. How many superheroes do DC have and how many of them are gay? This is no more unusual that creating a hero who happens to be Jewish or Korean...

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                      Regular DC comic books don't have sex or profanity. They're incredibly violent, but no sex or profanity.
                      If it wasn't going to be about sex (or sexuality), then what's the point of making her a lesbian. That's a pretty overt move to have no sexual overtones anywhere.

Comment

My beef with this whole thing is that they got rid of a perfectly good batgirl just so they could bring in a brand new, "controversial" batwoman.
                        Do we really need another bored, rich chick running around kicking ass?

DC, IMHO made her a lesbian because female homosexuals are a very under represented minority in comics. They, as one of the two major comics companies, needs to show that they support minorities. And there is nothing wrong with that, I just think how they did it bombed.
                        Malaka
                        {Muse in Training}

Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
                        Do not go gentle into that good night,
                        Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

Working...
                        X